timesharing = multiprogramming? - Minix

This is a discussion on timesharing = multiprogramming? - Minix ; a question as simple as that thx, martin...

  1. timesharing = multiprogramming?

    a question as simple as that

    thx,

    martin

  2. Re: timesharing = multiprogramming?

    > timesharing = multiprogramming?

    Martin

    Consider a system in which an I/O-oriented programme is running. The
    programme makes a request for an I/O operation where the I/O
    instrcution, simply, will takes a lot of time. If the OS switches to
    another programme while the I/O request is being processed (say by an
    external device), the OS is known to be multiprogramming.

    But what if you have several CPU and I/O oriented programmes in memory?
    If the OS switches between them, even if there is NO I/O request, the
    OS is said to be timesharing. A simple example is an OS with
    round-robin scheduling system.

    Regards

+ Reply to Thread