Minix 3 fails in qemu - Minix

This is a discussion on Minix 3 fails in qemu - Minix ; I have always said that a picture is woth a thousand words, and a video, a million. I ran QEMU as a VNC server and caputred the session using vnc2swf. All of the partition tools fail miserably with coredumps and ...

  1. Minix 3 fails in qemu

    I have always said that a picture is woth a thousand words, and a video,
    a million.

    I ran QEMU as a VNC server and caputred the session using vnc2swf.
    All of the partition tools fail miserably with coredumps and all.

    http://segin.no-ip.org/minix3.swf

  2. Re: Minix 3 fails in qemu

    Segin wrote:
    > I have always said that a picture is woth a thousand words, and a video,
    > a million.
    >
    > I ran QEMU as a VNC server and caputred the session using vnc2swf.
    > All of the partition tools fail miserably with coredumps and all.
    >
    > http://segin.no-ip.org/minix3.swf

    Well, I know this is a really stupid question I am about to ask you,
    but have you tried following the instructions at Minixtips?
    (http://www.minixtips.com/2006/06/run...nder-qemu.html)

  3. Re: Minix 3 fails in qemu

    Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
    > Segin wrote:
    >> I have always said that a picture is woth a thousand words, and a video,
    >> a million.
    >>
    >> I ran QEMU as a VNC server and caputred the session using vnc2swf.
    >> All of the partition tools fail miserably with coredumps and all.
    >>
    >> http://segin.no-ip.org/minix3.swf
    >>

    > Well, I know this is a really stupid question I am about to ask you,
    > but have you tried following the instructions at Minixtips?
    > (http://www.minixtips.com/2006/06/run...nder-qemu.html)

    I didn't follow those instructions, but the ones I did, I came up with
    myself (being that I am familar with QEMU and the Minix 3 setup process,
    mind you), and they are similar, minus a few command-line options to
    QEMU (some of the ones in those instructions are unneeded, -localtime,
    -net user, and -net nic are all default, check doc/qemu-doc.html)

    It seems that kqemu doesn't work. I've had a friend report the exact
    same thing as I did (and I will soon see if it's something that poking
    around with gdb might be useful with), and kqemu must be disabled.

    It seems that QEMU doesn't properly calculate large disk geometry or the
    proper geometry for my hard disk. Either or, it's passing bogus (or
    non-standard, whichever) values to Minix 3, and all it has to go by is
    what size is reported on /dev/hdb.

    I honestly don't like using disk images, but if I must, I'll do it (then
    transfer partitions to the physical 40GB disk).

    Note: -win2k-hack doesn't fix it, don't even suggest it.

  4. Re: Minix 3 fails in qemu

    Hello Segin,

    I could not load minix3.swf, but I have a same problem, if I boot Minix3
    in qemu-0.8.2-windows, then minix boot until "init" and stay in "init".

    You have solve your problem?

    Guido

+ Reply to Thread