changing keyboard layout - Minix

This is a discussion on changing keyboard layout - Minix ; hello can anyone tell me how i can change the keyboard layout in minix so that it corresponds to my german keyboard? also, how do i go about programmin in minix so that i can understand and modify the code ...

  1. changing keyboard layout

    hello
    can anyone tell me how i can change the keyboard layout in minix so
    that it corresponds to my german keyboard?
    also, how do i go about programmin in minix so that i can understand
    and modify the code as described in the minix book?
    i tried "as" (assembler) at the command prompt but the command is not
    recognized...but "apropos assembler" tells me "as" is the appropriate
    compiler...
    i'm really a bit confused..i want to learn how operating systems are
    implemented...
    plus, how do i start a window system in minix? is there any one that
    comes with the cd as is?
    hope you can help me

    thanx,

    martin

  2. Re: changing keyboard layout

    sancho1980 wrote:
    > hello
    > can anyone tell me how i can change the keyboard layout in minix so
    > that it corresponds to my german keyboard?

    There is luckily a previous answer to this even though it is about
    Minix 2.

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....34b7a3f7d8d1f0

    > i'm really a bit confused..i want to learn how operating systems are
    > implemented...

    I think it is obvious that the best way is to read code and go through
    verification process by tracing it through.

    > plus, how do i start a window system in minix? is there any one that
    > comes with the cd as is?
    > hope you can help me

    The most recent version can help you out.

    I hope it helps
    tmK

  3. Re: changing keyboard layout

    sancho1980 wrote:
    > hello
    > can anyone tell me how i can change the keyboard layout in minix so
    > that it corresponds to my german keyboard?

    Copy the appropriate file (german.map) from /usr/lib/keymaps/ directory
    to /etc/keymap

    > also, how do i go about programmin in minix so that i can understand
    > and modify the code as described in the minix book?
    > i tried "as" (assembler) at the command prompt but the command is not
    > recognized...but "apropos assembler" tells me "as" is the appropriate
    > compiler...

    As a matter of fact the program "as" is for assembler files, but you
    cannot use it directly. Use the command "cc -c file.s" to compile
    assembler. See man cc to get details.

    > i'm really a bit confused..i want to learn how operating systems are
    > implemented...
    > plus, how do i start a window system in minix? is there any one that
    > comes with the cd as is?

    Ciao
    Giovanni
    --