I may not install Linux on my system,
again took a look at Minix.
Everything is cool, but Minix has no swap.

Let me dare to point attantion of Minix creators on such
idea as classic swapping, when application is in inactive position during long
time,
(on that graph in second edition of the book, finally published in Russia,
and available here in Ukraine)
it stores on disk may be even not in a swap partion but some kind of
/var/swap/[pid]
It is not my bussiness, but I guess it would be interesting for students to see,
how the classic swap is working.

There are such complication I may find:
1. such kinds of microkernel as have Minix3 and say OS/2 may complicate
implementation of swapping with some kind of swap demon or brake idea
of the minimal POSIX-look-like microkernel.

2. It is wanted extention of system calls which would allow
manipulations with memory. If make such extentions carefully,
it would be possible to implement tricks as compilation on a fly.

For this all IMHO are needed such abilities:
1. To stop process by pid
2. To read process from memory by pid
3. To write process to memory by pid
4. Remove proceess from memory making another kind of zombie
5. To receive from kernel message/signal about continuation
of this another kind of zombie process.
6. To monitor process table.

To provide safety may be used two ways separately or together:
1. Each process may operate only with process ran after itself.
2. Access rights.

I guess, together with the classical IPC and multiprocess model,
the classic swap may be not less effective than the fat
ugly installations of Linux.

--Michaelo AKA (Quas.co.ua)

P.S. You guess I've bought the book, do you (?)
No I just know some kind salesman,
who allowes me to turn pages in books he sells.

Offtopic to Homburg: I listened Procol Harum; is their song "Homburg" about you?
So who invented the art-rock, British or Dutch musicians?