Can ftp into Minix Server with Linux but not Windows? - Minix

This is a discussion on Can ftp into Minix Server with Linux but not Windows? - Minix ; I have been using Minix for small projects for quite some time, and have encountered an oddity. I recently upgraded to 3.1 (from the Operating Systems Design and Implimentation 3rd edition). I installed it on VMware and began poking around. ...

  1. Can ftp into Minix Server with Linux but not Windows?

    I have been using Minix for small projects for quite some time, and
    have encountered an oddity.

    I recently upgraded to 3.1 (from the Operating Systems Design and
    Implimentation 3rd edition).

    I installed it on VMware and began poking around. Things were working
    great. I FTP'd some code out and began working with it. Now, I can FTP
    in with Linux, no problem. If I try to FTP in from Windows, the
    connection just gets closed by the remote host.

    Using a packet sniffer, I noted that Minix sends 2 packets back to
    linux after the initial connection request, and a single packet back to
    windows. My sniffer is somewhat crude, I am going to need to download
    one to dig into the nature of these communications.

    But, before digging too deaply into this, I was wondering if anyone
    else has encountered this sort of problem, and if there is a
    pre-existing fix?

    I have tried multiple ftp clients, so it is not related to a particular
    client. Telnet works fine from Windows, so the problem seems to be
    specific to FTP.

    I downloaded the latest version from the web (I beleive 3.1.4a?) and
    encountered the same problem.

    Thanks for any assistence.

  2. Re: Can ftp into Minix Server with Linux but not Windows?

    > I have been using Minix for small projects for quite some time, and
    > have encountered an oddity.
    >
    > I recently upgraded to 3.1 (from the Operating Systems Design and
    > Implimentation 3rd edition).
    >
    > I installed it on VMware and began poking around. Things were working
    > great. I FTP'd some code out and began working with it. Now, I can FTP
    > in with Linux, no problem. If I try to FTP in from Windows, the
    > connection just gets closed by the remote host.

    I'm using Minix on VMWare player and FTP works fine (although not very
    fast; in fact it seems faster to go to a remote host than to my virtual
    machine). I did not have to do anything specificc to get it to work.

    Perhaps you should

    - Try to disable the local firewall if you have one, or

    - Check if the VM you're using on Windows is really the same as the
    Linix one; in particular you should have ftp in the rc.daemons file.

  3. Re: Can ftp into Minix Server with Linux but not Windows?

    DJM wrote:
    > [CUT]
    >
    > I have tried multiple ftp clients, so it is not related to a particular
    > client. Telnet works fine from Windows, so the problem seems to be
    > specific to FTP.

    Hi,
    did you check ftp passive connection settings? If not, give it a try.

    > Thanks for any assistence.

    Bye,
    Antonio

+ Reply to Thread