Your experience with emulators and minix? - Minix

This is a discussion on Your experience with emulators and minix? - Minix ; So far, i have only installed minix 'on the hardware', in its own partition space. I want to ask anyone who has used a emulator to run minix from, what you think? Did it introduce a new level of complexity ...

  1. Your experience with emulators and minix?

    So far, i have only installed minix 'on the hardware', in its own
    partition space.

    I want to ask anyone who has used a emulator to run minix from, what you
    think? Did it introduce a new level of complexity - or is it 'just the
    same' as a real install???

    thanks

  2. Re: Your experience with emulators and minix?

    neil wrote:
    > So far, i have only installed minix 'on the hardware', in its own
    > partition space.
    >
    > I want to ask anyone who has used a emulator to run minix from, what you
    > think? Did it introduce a new level of complexity - or is it 'just the
    > same' as a real install???

    For me installing minix on bochs it was just as installing on real
    hardware. You may find complex to tune the bochs configuration to get
    the best performance.

    Ciao
    Giovanni
    --
    A computer is like an air conditioner,
    it stops working when you open Windows.

  3. Re: Your experience with emulators and minix?

    I run minix under MS Virtual PC. Works great.

    Giovanni wrote:
    > neil wrote:
    > > So far, i have only installed minix 'on the hardware', in its own
    > > partition space.
    > >
    > > I want to ask anyone who has used a emulator to run minix from, what you
    > > think? Did it introduce a new level of complexity - or is it 'just the
    > > same' as a real install???

    > For me installing minix on bochs it was just as installing on real
    > hardware. You may find complex to tune the bochs configuration to get
    > the best performance.

  4. Re: Your experience with emulators and minix?

    mariusz.buras@gmail.com wrote:
    > I run minix under MS Virtual PC. Works great.

    How did you get the networking to work?

    Kelly

  5. Re: Your experience with emulators and minix?

    Kelly Hall writes:

    > mariusz.buras@gmail.com wrote:
    > > I run minix under MS Virtual PC. Works great.

    > How did you get the networking to work?
    >
    > Kelly

    I use FreeBSD and would use a bochs emulator - IF, it's just like the
    'real thing'. Does this network problem - or any other problem plague a
    bochs minix user?

  6. Re: Your experience with emulators and minix?

    > So far, i have only installed minix 'on the hardware', in its own
    > partition space.
    >
    > I want to ask anyone who has used a emulator to run minix from, what
    > you think? Did it introduce a new level of complexity - or is it
    > 'just the same' as a real install???

    I'm using it on VMWare player. Installation is no more difficult than
    on a real computer and networking works perfectly - i can access both
    the host and the internet. FTP between host and guest is very slow
    though.

  7. Re: Your experience with emulators and minix?

    neil wrote:
    > I want to ask anyone who has used a emulator to run minix from, what you
    > think? Did it introduce a new level of complexity - or is it 'just the
    > same' as a real install???

    It's pretty much the same as a real install using VMware Server. This
    is how I run www.minixtips.com on Minix. It's a dedicated linux server
    running VMware server to run Minix.

    Chris.
    --
    http://www.minixtips.com

  8. Re: Your experience with emulators and minix?

    "neil" wrote in message
    news:rq5Vg.77220$aP3.66671@fe3.news.blueyonder.co. uk...
    > So far, i have only installed minix 'on the hardware', in its own
    > partition space.
    >
    > I want to ask anyone who has used a emulator to run minix from, what you
    > think? Did it introduce a new level of complexity - or is it 'just the
    > same' as a real install???
    >
    > thanks

    Hi Neil! I am running Minix on actual hardware, in VMWare, and have run it
    on bochs compiled under AIX, but, due to lack of network support, I have
    dropped that one. I actually prefer to run it in VMWare as it is easily
    cloneable and you can make a mistake and restoring the system back to a
    stable version is just a few clicks away. Plus, with VMWare, I can create a
    clean install to test my ports. : ) Plus, I can run multiple VMs on the
    system at the same time.

    The Grue

  9. Virtual PC installation

    I downloaded the CD image and installed it via Virtual PC. Very
    surprised how easy it was, especially getting X windows to work. Will
    play and see.

+ Reply to Thread