Change the Constant for the Block Size? - Minix

This is a discussion on Change the Constant for the Block Size? - Minix ; Hello, This is a stupid question to ask, but in the installation instructions it says: "7. Select a block size Disk block sizes of 1-KB, 2-KB, 4-KB, and 8-KB are supported, but to use a size larger than 4-KB you ...

  1. Change the Constant for the Block Size?

    Hello,

    This is a stupid question to ask, but in the installation instructions
    it says:

    "7. Select a block size Disk block sizes of 1-KB, 2-KB, 4-KB, and 8-KB
    are supported, but to use a size larger than 4-KB you have to change a
    constant and recompile the system. If your memory is 16 MB or more, use
    the default (4 KB); otherwise, use 1 KB. " (from
    http://www.minix3.org/doc/A-312.html)

    Well, what constant am I supposed to change? And where is it?

  2. Re: Change the Constant for the Block Size?

    Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > This is a stupid question to ask, but in the installation instructions
    > it says:
    >
    > "7. Select a block size Disk block sizes of 1-KB, 2-KB, 4-KB, and 8-KB
    > are supported, but to use a size larger than 4-KB you have to change a
    > constant and recompile the system. If your memory is 16 MB or more, use
    > the default (4 KB); otherwise, use 1 KB. " (from
    > http://www.minix3.org/doc/A-312.html)
    >
    > Well, what constant am I supposed to change? And where is it?

    It's somewhere in the source code. I can't tell you where, cause I just
    lost Minix 3 in a battle with parted...

  3. Re: Change the Constant for the Block Size?

    "Pablo Rodriguez" writes:

    > Hello,
    >
    > This is a stupid question to ask, but in the installation instructions
    > it says:
    >
    > "7. Select a block size Disk block sizes of 1-KB, 2-KB, 4-KB, and 8-KB
    > are supported, but to use a size larger than 4-KB you have to change a
    > constant and recompile the system. If your memory is 16 MB or more, use
    > the default (4 KB); otherwise, use 1 KB. " (from
    > http://www.minix3.org/doc/A-312.html)
    >
    > Well, what constant am I supposed to change? And where is it?

    From the very same web page:

    | 3. Installing to the Hard Disk
    | These steps correspond to the steps on the screen.

    AFAIS, the installation script will ask you which block size you
    want. You'll only have to recompile anything (and change the minix
    configuration in the source code) if you want to use a block size of 8
    KB. So stay with te recommendation (1KB/4KB) and everything is fine.

    Regards -- Markus

+ Reply to Thread