startx problem - Minix

This is a discussion on startx problem - Minix ; Hello Minix, I have just downloaded and installed the latest minix3 .iso image. I was really surprised by the booting speed. Here are some issues I have encountered with the X server. It is difficult to describe it so I ...

  1. startx problem

    Hello Minix,
    I have just downloaded and installed the latest minix3 .iso image. I
    was really surprised by
    the booting speed. Here are some issues I have encountered with the X
    server. It is difficult
    to describe it so I will try to draw my monitor and explain what
    happens.

    A------------|--------------------------------------C

    |*
    $ |

    B------------|--------------------------------------D

    suppose that A, B, C, D are the upper-left lower-left upper-right and
    lower-right points of my
    LCD monitor. When I enter the X server by the startx command, the
    left-most border my mouse
    can reach when I move it left, is the KL(*) border. On the other hand
    when I move it right, it doesn't
    stop at the CD border as one would expect it to stop, but it continues
    and appears in the AKLB
    rectangle of my monitor with its right most border the KL segment($).

    When I enter X using XDM everything is fine and KL segment is identical
    with the AB segment
    as normal.

    Cheers Archwn.

  2. Re: startx problem

    In article <1159257341.476030.195360@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups. com>,
    archwn wrote:
    >suppose that A, B, C, D are the upper-left lower-left upper-right and
    >lower-right points of my
    >LCD monitor. When I enter the X server by the startx command, the
    >left-most border my mouse
    >can reach when I move it left, is the KL(*) border. On the other hand
    >when I move it right, it doesn't
    >stop at the CD border as one would expect it to stop, but it continues
    >and appears in the AKLB
    >rectangle of my monitor with its right most border the KL segment($).

    That happens with some video cards. I'm a bit surprised that it didn't
    come up in this group before.

    I have a patch that seems to fix this problem.

    Patch /usr/src/drivers/tty/console.c, and build a new image.

    (The problem seems to be the way Minix 3 implements virtual consoles. The
    patch switches back to the first vc when X is started).

  3. Re: startx problem

    I am a new user and I do not how to build a new image. There are
    several other issues,
    I have found you can look in my today's posts. One of them is the long
    time X needs to
    start which is something I don't have with Linux.

    There is an issue with emacs when I press F5, the kernel reports some
    stuff there is also an
    issue with a C code I wrote which works fine in Linux I checked it with
    valgrind for memory
    errors and there are not any memory errors but in Minix3 it spits a
    memory fault and saves the
    core. I really like MINIX3 and mostly the fact that it boots in 3
    seconds.

    I will post those later.

    Is there any gnu-gdb port available for MINIX3 ?

    Cheers,
    Archwn.

  4. Re: startx problem

    "archwn" writes:

    > I am a new user and I do not how to build a new image.

    'man 8 usage' I think that was. In Minix 2 times that was a rather
    complete installation and operating manual, I hope it's still current
    with Minix 3.

    > there is also an issue with a C code I wrote which works fine in
    > Linux I checked it with valgrind for memory errors and there are not
    > any memory errors but in Minix3 it spits a memory fault and saves
    > the core.

    Stack/Heap overflow/collision? Try chmem it to a larger stack and data
    segment (or try to prove a bound for your heap/stack usage :-).

    There are other things that might fail (i.e. reliance on non portable
    constructs / memory layout / initialization, not handling Minix
    specific error conditions or bugs which corrupt the heap on Minix but
    not on Linux -- C has so many things that can trap you). Difficult to
    say without seeing your C-Code, though.

    Regards -- Markus

+ Reply to Thread