Bash problem - Minix

This is a discussion on Bash problem - Minix ; Hello Minix3, I have downloaded the latest minix3 .iso and I installed it succesfully on my Sony VAIO laptop. I have noticed several issues which I would like to report in several distinct threads. 1) Bash: when I type bash, ...

  1. Bash problem

    Hello Minix3,
    I have downloaded the latest minix3 .iso and I installed it succesfully
    on my Sony VAIO laptop.
    I have noticed several issues which I would like to report in several
    distinct threads.

    1) Bash: when I type bash, after entering bash shell it looks quite
    strange in the sense that
    whenever I press enter, the prompt instead of changing to a new line it
    prints the prompt in the
    same line. This way after pressing enter 3 times instead of :
    bash #
    bash #
    bash #
    bash#

    I get:

    bash # bash # bash # bash # ...

    Thanks in advance!
    Archwn.

  2. Re: Bash problem

    The same thing came to me.
    Specially, when I sshed from another computer, it happened. But it
    works normally in the Minx installed computer except that it throws out
    a message "-bash : too many arguments" when I login.

    In more detail speaking, when I type "ls -al", it is OK but if just a
    command such as "ls" or without arguments, the same phenomenon happens.
    It is a just report.

    Tyson M Kim

  3. Re: Bash problem

    ma777x@hotmail.com wrote:
    > The same thing came to me.
    > Specially, when I sshed from another computer, it happened. But it
    > works normally in the Minx installed computer except that it throws out
    > a message "-bash : too many arguments" when I login.
    >
    > In more detail speaking, when I type "ls -al", it is OK but if just a
    > command such as "ls" or without arguments, the same phenomenon happens.
    > It is a just report.
    >
    > Tyson M Kim

    It is not clear from your post whether or not you enter bash by typing
    bash, or
    you have permanently changed your default settings such that bash is
    your
    default shell. Especially when you say that :

    > Specially, when I sshed from another computer

    I am confused because when you login to Minix3 you should see the
    default minix3
    shell which is not bash. So if you have problems with bash please clear
    out how do
    you enter to bash? As it concerns the 'ls' command I have no problems
    with it at all.

    Cheers!
    Archwn.

  4. Re: Bash problem

    ma777x@hotmail.com wrote:
    > The same thing came to me.
    > Specially, when I sshed from another computer, it happened. But it
    > works normally in the Minx installed computer except that it throws out
    > a message "-bash : too many arguments" when I login.
    >
    > In more detail speaking, when I type "ls -al", it is OK but if just a
    > command such as "ls" or without arguments, the same phenomenon happens.
    > It is a just report.
    >
    > Tyson M Kim

    It is not clear from your post whether or not you enter bash by typing
    bash, or
    you have permanently changed your default settings such that bash is
    your
    default shell. Especially when you say that :

    > Specially, when I sshed from another computer

    I am confused because when you login to Minix3 you should see the
    default minix3
    shell which is not bash. So if you have problems with bash please clear
    out how do
    you enter to bash? As it concerns the 'ls' command I have no problems
    with it at all.

    Cheers!
    Archwn.

  5. Re: Bash problem

    have you tried

    stty sane

    ?

    I can;t seeem to run this on my laptop or I'd give it a shot myself.

    On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 00:41:16 -0700, archwn wrote:

    > 1) Bash: when I type bash, after entering bash shell it looks quite
    > strange in the sense that
    > whenever I press enter, the prompt instead of changing to a new line it
    > prints the prompt in the
    > same line. This way after pressing enter 3 times instead of : bash #
    > bash #
    > bash #
    > bash#
    >
    > I get: