Problem sharing virtual floppies between Minix2 and Minix3 - Minix

This is a discussion on Problem sharing virtual floppies between Minix2 and Minix3 - Minix ; I want to share a virtual floppy between Minix 2 and Minix 3, and I can't seem to get it done. I must be making some really silly mistake, so I'll describe my whole setup: I'm not sure exactly where ...

  1. Problem sharing virtual floppies between Minix2 and Minix3

    I want to share a virtual floppy between Minix 2 and Minix 3, and I
    can't seem to get it done. I must be making some really silly mistake,
    so I'll describe my whole setup: I'm not sure exactly where my
    sillyness is located.

    I have both Minix 2 and Minix 3 running under Q on an Intel Mac. (Q is
    basically Qemu with Mac GUI stuff). I want to use a virtual floppy to
    transfer files from Minix3 to Minix2. (Why? Because I have virtual
    networking running under Minix3, so I can ssh out to the Mac itself to
    transfer files, and the Minix2 I use has no working network on my
    setup. I also don't want to mess with the networking stuff on Minix2
    because I need it for a network assignment:-).

    So, I created a virtual floppy, formatted and mkfs'ed it on the Minix3
    VM, mounted it, copied the files, unmounted, ejected it, attached it to
    the Minix2 VM. Mount fails: it doesn't recognize the filesystem.

    Ok, try the other way around: recreate the floppy on the Minix2 VM, go
    through the whole process, try to mount on Minix3: not recognized as a
    filesystem. Redid the whole rigamarole with a type 1 filesystem, both
    ways: no go.

    Tried various times to fsck the filesystem created by one Minix on the
    other, but at best it says "bad superblock".

    If anyone can point out my mistake or give me pointers for further
    research that would be much appreciated,

    Jack

  2. Re: Problem sharing virtual floppies between Minix2 and Minix3

    In article <1159134487.931704.13120@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.c om>,
    wrote:
    >If anyone can point out my mistake or give me pointers for further
    >research that would be much appreciated,

    Unfortunately, Minix 2 and Minix 3 are mostly incompatible with each other

    One option is write tar files to the floppy. Another is to use mtools.