How can I trace through the kernel or other processes ? - Minix

This is a discussion on How can I trace through the kernel or other processes ? - Minix ; HI I am trying to figure out how to trace the execution of the kernel. What I have obtained so far is just use printf but it is kind of annoying since the kernel is working so fast that I ...

  1. How can I trace through the kernel or other processes ?

    HI I am trying to figure out how to trace the execution of the kernel.
    What I have obtained so far is just use printf but it is kind of
    annoying since the kernel is working so fast that I can't read the
    msgs.

    Is there any way to record the msgs of the kernel so that I can read
    later ?
    Some guy suggested that it could be debugged with the computers on
    Minix or other system using serial line. I am short of knowledge about
    that.

    Can anybody who knows about this tell me ?

    Thanks in advance.

    Tyson M Kim

  2. Re: How can I trace through the kernel or other processes ?

    All,

    > HI I am trying to figure out how to trace the execution of the kernel.
    > What I have obtained so far is just use printf but it is kind of
    > annoying since the kernel is working so fast that I can't read the
    > msgs.
    >
    > Is there any way to record the msgs of the kernel so that I can read
    > later ?
    > Some guy suggested that it could be debugged with the computers on
    > Minix or other system using serial line. I am short of knowledge about
    > that.
    >
    > Can anybody who knows about this tell me ?

    I think the easiest way to trace low-level kernel operation is
    running minix in a emulator.

    There is code in the kernel that will print all debug output to the
    serial port as well - see the do_serial_debug variable in tested in
    kprintf.c. This is also convenient together with an emulator.

    Emulators also let you set breakpoints, watchpoints, and the like.

    Good luck.

    =Ben

  3. Re: How can I trace through the kernel or other processes ?

    think the easiest way to trace low-level kernel operation is
    > running minix in a emulator.

    > There is code in the kernel that will print all debug output to the
    > serial port as well - see the do_serial_debug variable in tested in
    > kprintf.c. This is also convenient together with an emulator.

    I really appreciate this. I didn't have chace to look at it. You mean
    minix 3 ?

    > Emulators also let you set breakpoints, watchpoints, and the like.

    I use vmware. What you mean is bochs or qemu ?

    Thanks Ben
    I give it a try

    Tyson

  4. Re: How can I trace through the kernel or other processes ?

    All,

    > I really appreciate this. I didn't have chace to look at it. You mean
    > minix 3 ?

    Yep, this is a relatively new addition. But if you want to do this
    under minix 2, it shouldn't be too hard to backport it.

    >> Emulators also let you set breakpoints, watchpoints, and the like.

    > I use vmware. What you mean is bochs or qemu ?

    Yes. I don't know if vmware will let you do this kind of thing..

    =Ben

+ Reply to Thread