After start, X display nothing but blank screen - Minix

This is a discussion on After start, X display nothing but blank screen - Minix ; I don't know why. I used to get X running with twm and some xterms. But now only the black screen (is it called root window?) is displayed. Any one knows why? My .xinitrc is as following: ====================================== #!/bin/sh # ...

  1. After start, X display nothing but blank screen

    I don't know why. I used to get X running with twm and some xterms.
    But now only the black screen (is it called root window?) is displayed.
    Any one knows why?

    My .xinitrc is as following:

    ======================================
    #!/bin/sh
    # $Xorg: xinitrc.cpp,v 1.3 2000/08/17 19:54:30 cpqbld Exp $

    userresources=$HOME/.Xresources
    usermodmap=$HOME/.Xmodmap
    sysresources=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/.Xresources
    sysmodmap=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap

    # merge in defaults and keymaps

    if [ -f $sysresources ]; then
    xrdb -merge $sysresources
    fi

    if [ -f $sysmodmap ]; then
    xmodmap $sysmodmap
    fi

    if [ -f $userresources ]; then
    xrdb -merge $userresources
    fi

    if [ -f $usermodmap ]; then
    xmodmap $usermodmap
    fi

    # start some nice programs

    twm &
    xclock -geometry 50x50-1+1 &
    xterm -geometry 80x50+494+51 &
    xterm -geometry 80x20+494-0 &
    exec xterm -geometry 80x66+0+0 -name login

    Thanks in advance

    Kun

  2. Re: After start, X display nothing but blank screen

    "Kun" writes:

    > I don't know why. I used to get X running with twm and some xterms.
    > But now only the black screen (is it called root window?) is displayed.

    I'm not an expert on this problem. An empty black screen might also
    indicate a problem switching modes or virtual consoles or that the
    server died while switching and left the console subsystem/drivers in
    an intermediate state.

    Can you switch consoles with ALT-Fn?

    > Any one knows why?

    XOrg and XFree86 servers usually write an error file to some place
    (this depends on the startup scripts used). If you reboot, you might
    perhaps see some errors there. If there is no such file, maybe you can
    try startx > $HOME/.my-x-errors 2>&1. This might help you to
    understand what happened shortly before everything went haywire.

    > I used to get X running with twm and some xterms.

    Did you do an update? If yes, might that have overwritten something,
    like the X-server binary and thus the chmem parameters (these are
    stored in the a.out header of an executable).

    > My .xinitrc is as following:

    For debbuging try to start X (or Xorg) directly. Try startx and xinit
    only later if this works OK. xinit is a horribly thing anyway and I've
    always preferred to live without it.

    Disclaimer: This is generic advice. I don't know nothing :-).

    Regards -- Markus

+ Reply to Thread