How does look like the MINIX3 partition. - Minix

This is a discussion on How does look like the MINIX3 partition. - Minix ; This question is not directly about Minix, but. After attempt to instal "first domestic Ukrainian OS" (which looks like very similar to RedHat Linux) I've got damaged partition tables on my old hard drive. To define DOS partition boundary I ...

  1. How does look like the MINIX3 partition.

    This question is not directly about Minix, but.

    After attempt to instal "first domestic Ukrainian OS"
    (which looks like very similar to RedHat Linux)
    I've got damaged partition tables on my old hard drive.
    To define DOS partition boundary I need to know where begins Minix Partition.

    There's something like that:
    0x000 No active partition Not bootable
    Read error 00 Hit any key to reboot.
    0x55 0xAA
    0x200
    0x300 Read error 00 0x55 0xAA
    0x400 rootdev=c0d0p1s1
    ramindev

    So is it a beginning of Minix-3 partition or sub-partition?

    Thanks.

    --Quas.co.ua

    P.S. Ukraine had one more domestic OS.
    This was yet in soviet's time.
    Such OS was named MDOS it was only version 3.30 of MDOS,
    not earlier not later.
    In case of error MDOS wrote: "MSDOS Error"
    probably authors of this unique OS had no its sources
    to recompile shorter messages.
    Such unique OS sold by one of greatest enterprises of Ukraine.
    For the moment it is remained only little from that enterprise.

  2. Re: How does look like the MINIX3 partition.

    In article <4513ACD3.E023B9FD@supermail.com.ua>,
    Quas.co.ua wrote:

    >This question is not directly about Minix, but.
    >
    >After attempt to instal "first domestic Ukrainian OS"
    >(which looks like very similar to RedHat Linux)
    >I've got damaged partition tables on my old hard drive.
    >To define DOS partition boundary I need to know where begins Minix Partition.
    >
    >There's something like that:
    >0x000 No active partition Not bootable
    > Read error 00 Hit any key to reboot.
    > 0x55 0xAA
    >0x200
    >0x300 Read error 00 0x55 0xAA
    >0x400 rootdev=c0d0p1s1
    > ramindev
    >
    >So is it a beginning of Minix-3 partition or sub-partition?

    The one at 0x300 is the bootblock of a Minix 3 filesystem.

    If the one at 0x000 is the first sector of the disk, then it is a master
    blockblock, otherwise it is proably the start of a Minix partition that
    contains subpartitions.

  3. Re: How does look like the MINIX3 partition.

    Philip Homburg wrote:

    > In article <4513ACD3.E023B9FD@supermail.com.ua>,
    > Quas.co.ua wrote:
    > >
    > >This question is not directly about Minix, but.
    > >
    > >After attempt to instal "first domestic Ukrainian OS"
    > >(which looks like very similar to RedHat Linux)
    > >I've got damaged partition tables on my old hard drive.
    > >To define DOS partition boundary I need to know where begins Minix Partition.
    > >
    > >There's something like that:
    > >0x000 No active partition Not bootable
    > > Read error 00 Hit any key to reboot.
    > > 0x55 0xAA
    > >0x200
    > >0x300 Read error 00 0x55 0xAA
    > >0x400 rootdev=c0d0p1s1
    > > ramindev
    > >
    > >So is it a beginning of Minix-3 partition or sub-partition?

    > The one at 0x300 is the bootblock of a Minix 3 filesystem.
    >
    > If the one at 0x000 is the first sector of the disk, then it is a master
    > blockblock, otherwise it is proably the start of a Minix partition that
    > contains subpartitions.

    Thanks.

    > --
    > That was it. Done. The faulty Monk was turned out into the desert where it
    > could believe what it liked, including the idea that it had been hard done
    > by. It was allowed to keep its horse, since horses were so cheap to make.
    > -- Douglas Adams in Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

+ Reply to Thread