newbie MINIX: systemcall and kernel call - Minix

This is a discussion on newbie MINIX: systemcall and kernel call - Minix ; Hi, I would like to read more about : - system calls - kernel calls - API I am confused do you suggest me some document in MINIX ? thank you...

  1. newbie MINIX: systemcall and kernel call

    Hi,
    I would like to read more about:

    - system calls
    - kernel calls
    - API

    I am confused

    do you suggest me some document in MINIX ?

    thank you

  2. Re: newbie MINIX: systemcall and kernel call

    This is a kind of new terminology only in Minix 3 while the previous
    versions of Minix doen't not use the word "Kenrel Calls" even though
    they are integrated in the word "System Calls." OSDI 3 has a good
    explanation written by Prof. Woodhuall.

    Please refer to the page 114 in OSDI 3.

    Basically, Calls from level 2 and 3 (drivers and servers) to system
    task (imbedded in the micro kernel) are named "kernel calls" but Calls
    from level 4 (User Processes) are reffered "System calls " (just like
    described in POSIX). The reason are likely to be the change into "true
    micro kernel structures" not hybrid micro kernel structures Eventually,
    same effects are made.

    I hope it helps

    Tyson M Kim

    sacarde@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I would like to read more about:
    >
    > - system calls
    > - kernel calls
    > - API
    >
    > I am confused
    >
    > do you suggest me some document in MINIX ?
    >

    > thank you

  3. Re: newbie MINIX: systemcall and kernel call

    It reminds me that it looks like a sort of "trampoline mechanism" in
    Mach with BSD Unix emulation in my opinions.

    sacarde@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I would like to read more about:
    >
    > - system calls
    > - kernel calls
    > - API
    >
    > I am confused
    >
    > do you suggest me some document in MINIX ?
    >

    > thank you

  4. Re: newbie MINIX: systemcall and kernel call

    ma777x@hotmail.com ha scritto:

    > This is a kind of new terminology only in Minix 3 while the previous
    > versions of Minix doen't not use the word "Kenrel Calls" even though
    > they are integrated in the word "System Calls." OSDI 3 has a good
    > explanation written by Prof. Woodhuall.
    >
    > Please refer to the page 114 in OSDI 3.

    where is this document ?

    thankyou

  5. Re: newbie MINIX: systemcall and kernel call

    > > This is a kind of new terminology only in Minix 3 while the previous
    > > versions of Minix doen't not use the word "Kenrel Calls" even though
    > > they are integrated in the word "System Calls." OSDI 3 has a good
    > > explanation written by Prof. Woodhuall.
    > >
    > > Please refer to the page 114 in OSDI 3.

    > where is this document ?

    Operating Systems: Design and Implementation, ISBN 0-13-638677-6
    written by Andrew S. Tanenbaum and Albert S. Woodhull

    Buy it at an (academic) bookstore or get it on the internet (for
    example Amazon, http://tinyurl.com/mu76m).

  6. Re: newbie MINIX: systemcall and kernel call

    Avatar Zondertau ha scritto:

    > Operating Systems: Design and Implementation, ISBN 0-13-638677-6
    > written by Andrew S. Tanenbaum and Albert S. Woodhull

    no documentation on the web ???

+ Reply to Thread