Question about system calls - Minix

This is a discussion on Question about system calls - Minix ; Hello, If I do an "open" for a file from an application, what is the function call path? I mean, normally(as in Linux) it should do a int86 and go into kernel mode, call the descriptor registerd with the IDT, ...

  1. Question about system calls

    Hello,
    If I do an "open" for a file from an application, what is the function
    call path?
    I mean, normally(as in Linux) it should do a int86 and go into kernel
    mode, call the descriptor
    registerd with the IDT, and then call VFS open, which would finally
    call a particular file system driver.
    But what happens in MINIX? I mean does the open results in sending a
    message to kernel, which in turn sends a message to the filesystem
    server (user space). The filesystem server send a message back to
    kernel, asking for a CHS to be read?
    Can you tell me which part of the code to look into?
    Arindam

  2. Re: Question about system calls

    Sorry, it shpuld be int80.

+ Reply to Thread