keymap for turkish keyboard layout - Minix

This is a discussion on keymap for turkish keyboard layout - Minix ; i have just started using minix3. there is no layout for my native keyboard. i tried to write a keymap.src file as explained in the man keymap page. but i failed when it came to replacing the turkish characters like ...

  1. keymap for turkish keyboard layout

    i have just started using minix3. there is no layout for my native
    keyboard. i tried to write a keymap.src file as explained in the man
    keymap page.

    but i failed when it came to replacing the turkish characters like đ
    ţ. i examined the french keymap file and realized that certain french
    characters are represented by octal numbers. then i looked up the
    extended ascii table and saw that those octals were exactly matching
    with the ascii table. but unfortunately some turkish characters are not
    found in the extended ascii table. i am not sure if they need to be in
    the extended ascii table for me to write a turkish keymap; there must
    be something else involved with this keymapping. i tried a few "magic"
    octals but all i got on the screen when i pressed those keys were the
    exact characters represented by the numbers in the extended ascii
    table.

    i googled and results were mostly related to locale stuff, i guess i
    need those turkish characters to be stored in some place otherwise how
    can the os guess what they look like. so, what path should i take?
    which files should i inspect? i am pretty sure that i will need to deal
    with other files besides keymap.src...

  2. Re: keymap for turkish keyboard layout

    Il Sat, 09 Sep 2006 04:31:28 -0700, selcukcihan ha scritto:

    > i have just started using minix3. there is no layout for my native
    > keyboard. i tried to write a keymap.src file as explained in the man
    > keymap page.
    >
    > but i failed when it came to replacing the turkish characters like
    > i examined the french keymap file and realized that certain french

    Hi,
    I don't know if this can help you:

    In xvkbd program (for X) that I have ported there is the
    Turkish layout.

    You can see a screenshot here:
    http://homepage3.nifty.com/tsato/xvk...bd-turkish.gif

    and download the package here:
    http://www.alchemist.it/minix3/xvkbd-2.7a.tar.bz2

    Good luck,
    Andrea

  3. Re: keymap for turkish keyboard layout

    Andrea thanks for the response, i browsed the source code, it is a
    fairly new piece of work, it was dated today. anyways, i have limited
    resources, i dont have X. so i need another workaround.

    now i have directed my attention to a lower level in the io stuff... i
    am trying to figure out how "loadkeys" works, probably that will lead
    me to some conclusion. any suggestions are welcome.

    btw: andrea,
    andrea wrote:
    > Il Sat, 09 Sep 2006 04:31:28 -0700, selcukcihan ha scritto:
    >
    > > i have just started using minix3. there is no layout for my native
    > > keyboard. i tried to write a keymap.src file as explained in the man
    > > keymap page.
    > >
    > > but i failed when it came to replacing the turkish characters like
    > > i examined the french keymap file and realized that certain french
    > >

    > Hi,
    > I don't know if this can help you:
    >
    > In xvkbd program (for X) that I have ported there is the
    > Turkish layout.
    >
    > You can see a screenshot here:
    > http://homepage3.nifty.com/tsato/xvk...bd-turkish.gif
    >
    > and download the package here:
    > http://www.alchemist.it/minix3/xvkbd-2.7a.tar.bz2
    >
    > Good luck,
    > Andrea

  4. Re: keymap for turkish keyboard layout

    i have been searching for the source of loadkeys used in minix3, but i
    couldnt find the source. i dont know if that loadkeys is a script, i
    guess it is not because when i tried to edit it with elvis it looked
    like a binary.

  5. Re: keymap for turkish keyboard layout

    Hello,

    I think that you need an iso8859-3 (Turkish) font, similar to the one
    contained in /usr/lib/fonts/iso1.fnt, and then you can add this command

    loadfont /usr/lib/fonts/iso3.fnt

    in the script /etc/rc.

    [minutes later...]

    The problem now is that I have tried this command on my 3.1.1

    loadfont /usr/lib/fonts/iso1.font

    and I cannot see the accents of my Spanish texts (it seems that the
    font installed remains the same). A bug in 3.1.1?

    Regards.
    José Juan Mendoza Rodríguez

    let me=josejuanmr in
    let privacy=iespana in