Weird startup message in 3.1.3rc1 - Minix

This is a discussion on Weird startup message in 3.1.3rc1 - Minix ; Hello, I'm new in using Minix. I recently installed 3.1.2a. I upgraded to 3.1.3rc1 yesterday. Now I got a weird startup message: ----------------------------------------------------- .... Multiuser startup .... .... .... Local packages (start): done. PM: ion no_sys, call nr 83 from ...

  1. Weird startup message in 3.1.3rc1

    Hello,

    I'm new in using Minix. I recently installed 3.1.2a. I upgraded to
    3.1.3rc1 yesterday. Now I got a weird startup message:

    Multiuser startup
    Local packages (start): done.
    PM: ion no_sys, call nr 83 from 35612
    Warning: TTY got illegal request 100 from 35611
    sizeup ioctl: invalid argument
    used fstat instead
    mkfs: this device can't hold a filesystem.
    minix login: _

    All I found out is; call nr 83 does not exist in the header file
    callnr.h
    It seems to me as a harmless "bug". I do not recognize any other
    trouble, when I use the system.
    What do you think that could be?

    greetings

    Stuelpner

  2. Re: Weird startup message in 3.1.3rc1

    In article <1157626451.370523.14550@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.co m>,
    C. Stuelpner wrote:
    >All I found out is; call nr 83 does not exist in the header file
    >callnr.h
    >It seems to me as a harmless "bug". I do not recognize any other
    >trouble, when I use the system.

    Did you recompile and re-install all binaries?

    83 used to be ALLOCMEM.

  3. Re: Weird startup message in 3.1.3rc1

    Philip Homburg schrieb:

    > In article <1157626451.370523.14550@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.co m>,
    > C. Stuelpner wrote:
    > >All I found out is; call nr 83 does not exist in the header file
    > >callnr.h
    > >It seems to me as a harmless "bug". I do not recognize any other
    > >trouble, when I use the system.

    > Did you recompile and re-install all binaries?
    >
    > 83 used to be ALLOCMEM.
    >

    > --
    > That was it. Done. The faulty Monk was turned out into the desert where it
    > could believe what it liked, including the idea that it had been hard done
    > by. It was allowed to keep its horse, since horses were so cheap to make.
    > -- Douglas Adams in Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

    There were no additional packages installed as I upgraded from 3.1.2a
    to 3.1.3rc1. I just changed /usr/src (which means 3.1.2a) to be
    /usr/src (now 3.1.3rc1). Then I made a "make world". That was all. Did
    I forgot something?

    C. Stuelpner

  4. Re: Weird startup message in 3.1.3rc1

    In article <1157708483.772465.33190@d34g2000cwd.googlegroups.c om>,
    C. Stuelpner wrote:
    >There were no additional packages installed as I upgraded from 3.1.2a
    >to 3.1.3rc1. I just changed /usr/src (which means 3.1.2a) to be
    >/usr/src (now 3.1.3rc1). Then I made a "make world". That was all. Did
    >I forgot something?

    Strange. I guess I have to try it sometime to see what goes wrong.

  5. Re: Weird startup message in 3.1.3rc1

    In article ,
    Philip Homburg wrote:
    >In article <1157708483.772465.33190@d34g2000cwd.googlegroups.c om>,
    >C. Stuelpner wrote:
    >>There were no additional packages installed as I upgraded from 3.1.2a
    >>to 3.1.3rc1. I just changed /usr/src (which means 3.1.2a) to be
    >>/usr/src (now 3.1.3rc1). Then I made a "make world". That was all. Did
    >>I forgot something?

    >Strange. I guess I have to try it sometime to see what goes wrong.

    I found the problem. /etc/rc calls /etc/rc.rescue, and /etc/rc.rescue tries
    to start the rescue driver which is no longer part of the distribution.

    The easiest solution is to delete the call to /etc/rc.rescue in /etc/rc or
    to remove /etc/rc.rescue or /sbin/rescue.