Intel 815 Video with X on Minix ? - Minix

This is a discussion on Intel 815 Video with X on Minix ? - Minix ; Hi, I'm having trouble getting X on Minix working on my IPAQ Desktop. The system has the following hardware:- 1.Video - Intel 3D Direct AGP (815 Chipset) 2. Monitor - Smile KFC C/CB6748SL 3. Sound - Intel 810 AC97 4. ...

  1. Intel 815 Video with X on Minix ?

    Hi,
    I'm having trouble getting X on Minix working on my IPAQ Desktop.
    The system has the following hardware:-

    1.Video - Intel 3D Direct AGP (815 Chipset)
    2. Monitor - Smile KFC C/CB6748SL
    3. Sound - Intel 810 AC97
    4. Memory - 384Mb
    5. Hard Disk - 10Gb

    During X setup with xorgconfig I selected "Intel 810" as the driver as this
    seems to be the closest to the hardware I have and also if I install Linux
    on this machine thats the driver that is used by X.

    When I run "startx" everything looks good but then it grinds to a halt with
    an error saying:-

    (EE) I810(0): AGP GART support is not available. Make sure your kernel has
    agpgart support or that the agpgart kernel module is loaded.

    I tried the generic VGA driver as a possible alternative and although that
    kind of works the screen display is such a low resolution its unusable, its
    much less than 640 x 480 and the text on the screen is huge !

    Is there a workaround for this or is this video chipset basically
    unsupported by X on Minix at the moment ?

    Lynton

  2. Re: Intel 815 Video with X on Minix ?

    In article ,
    Lynton Towler wrote:
    >I tried the generic VGA driver as a possible alternative and although that
    >kind of works the screen display is such a low resolution its unusable, its
    >much less than 640 x 480 and the text on the screen is huge !
    >
    >Is there a workaround for this or is this video chipset basically
    >unsupported by X on Minix at the moment ?

    Did you try the VESA driver as well?

  3. Re: Intel 815 Video with X on Minix ?

    "Philip Homburg" wrote in message
    news:f3920257rom425mp8sd9r5qc13@inews_id.stereo.hq .phicoh.net...
    > Did you try the VESA driver as well?

    Philip,
    I have to admit I didn't try the VESA driver.
    I have just changed the driver to VESA and selected horizontal and vertical
    synch ranges that my monitor is definately capable of.
    When I run X with startx now the whole system crashes which is a little
    strange.
    I'll go away now and try to come back with some more information as to what
    is going on but like I say it is a bit strange.

    Regards

    Lynton

  4. Re: Intel 815 Video with X on Minix ?

    > "Philip Homburg" wrote in message
    > news:f3920257rom425mp8sd9r5qc13@inews_id.stereo.hq .phicoh.net...
    >> Did you try the VESA driver as well?

    I've tried the VESA driver and many others now with all sorts of settings
    but cannot get any worthwhile results.
    The only driver that sort of works for me is the standard VGA driver but
    even that gives a very low resolution display, probably even worse than EGA.
    Is there any debug output that could be of use in getting this working ?

    Lynton

  5. Re: Intel 815 Video with X on Minix ?

    Lynton Towler wrote:

    > > "Philip Homburg" wrote in message
    > > news:f3920257rom425mp8sd9r5qc13@inews_id.stereo.hq .phicoh.net...
    > >> Did you try the VESA driver as well?
    > >>

    > I've tried the VESA driver and many others now with all sorts of settings
    > but cannot get any worthwhile results.
    > The only driver that sort of works for me is the standard VGA driver but
    > even that gives a very low resolution display, probably even worse than EGA.
    > Is there any debug output that could be of use in getting this working ?
    >
    > Lynton

    Hi,

    I don't know what is the end of your story. I am experiencing the same
    problem
    with my Intel video chip. I tried the VESA driver. It didn't succeed in
    the first place.
    I viewed the /var/log/X*.log file(s) . It tells me that the hsync and
    vsync frequency is
    not usable. I tried different sync freqs. But no luck. Eventually, I
    deleted the [hv]sync
    frequency lines. Somehow the drivers itself figured out the sync freq
    (from monitor?).
    And it works now with 800x600 resolution on my Intel video chip. X
    configuration is
    Greek to me. Just try and error. Hope this is useful for you.

    But I really want to use the i810 driver instead. 800x600 is still hard
    for my eys. :P
    Have anyone make a i810 driver worked?

    Kun

  6. Re: Intel 815 Video with X on Minix ?

    Hi,
    I had no luck with my Intel chipset, I tried the VESA driver and it
    totally locks up the system so I have to power it off and restart.
    I did try your suggestion and removed the HV sync lines in xorg.conf but
    that made no difference in my case unfortunately.

    Lynton

    "Kun" wrote in message
    news:1158025753.384355.167960@i3g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...

    > I don't know what is the end of your story. I am experiencing the same
    > problem
    > with my Intel video chip. I tried the VESA driver. It didn't succeed in
    > the first place.
    > I viewed the /var/log/X*.log file(s) . It tells me that the hsync and
    > vsync frequency is
    > not usable. I tried different sync freqs. But no luck. Eventually, I
    > deleted the [hv]sync
    > frequency lines. Somehow the drivers itself figured out the sync freq
    > (from monitor?).
    > And it works now with 800x600 resolution on my Intel video chip. X
    > configuration is
    > Greek to me. Just try and error. Hope this is useful for you.
    >
    > But I really want to use the i810 driver instead. 800x600 is still hard
    > for my eys. :P
    > Have anyone make a i810 driver worked?
    >
    > Kun

+ Reply to Thread