Problem with "man"; httpd slow - Minix

This is a discussion on Problem with "man"; httpd slow - Minix ; Hello, I am running Minix-i86 2.0.4 on a 286 system (16 Mhz, 4 Mb), which works quite well so far. Anyway, I've got two questions: When I try to run "man", I get this message: "man: nroff: No such file ...

  1. Problem with "man"; httpd slow

    Hello,

    I am running Minix-i86 2.0.4 on a 286 system (16 Mhz, 4 Mb), which works
    quite well so far. Anyway, I've got two questions:

    When I try to run "man", I get this message:
    "man: nroff: No such file or directory"
    and when I copy nroff from /usr/bin to /bin, it complains about "more"
    instead. This problem doesn't appear if the working directory is /usr/bin.
    I can run nroff directly from the shell as /usr/bin is in $PATH.
    What can I do to be able to view man pages from anywhere in the file system?

    The second question is about the httpd.
    It compiled correctly and works well, but it is very slow (according to the
    system, this is to be expected).

    When someone accesses port 80, the hard disk turns on and (I suppose) the
    tcpd runs in.httpd, which parses the configuration and serves the request.
    This takes almost one minute per request. If I look with tail -f at the log
    file, the request is served the same moment as first data arrives in the
    browser from somewhere. So I don't really know what happens between tcpd
    running the in.httpd and httpd answering the request. Can you give me some
    information about this? How can I speed up things a bit?

    Thanks in advance,
    Sebastian

  2. Re: Problem with "man"; httpd slow

    Sebastian wrote:
    > I am running Minix-i86 2.0.4 on a 286 system (16 Mhz, 4 Mb), which works
    > quite well so far. Anyway, I've got two questions:
    >
    > When I try to run "man", I get this message:
    > "man: nroff: No such file or directory"

    Be sure your PATH includes both /bin and /usr/bin. You can set the
    PATH in several places, /etc/profile is the best place if you want all
    users to have the same access. Be sure to comment out any PATH
    assignment in your home directory's .profile if you don't want to
    override the common settings in /etc/profile.

    To find the man pages you also need a MANPATH setting. I don't
    remember if one already exists by default in a new Minix 2.0.4
    installation.

    You can also read any file foprmatted as a man page with the
    command
    nroff -man | more
    This is helpful when you are writing a new page which is not yet
    installed in the /usr/man or /usr/local/man directory trees.

    > The second question is about the httpd.
    > It compiled correctly and works well, but it is very slow (according to the
    > system, this is to be expected).

    Httpd has to be loaded from the disk each time it is invoked. If your
    Minix system is primarily used as an http server there are two things
    you can do to speed this up. One is to compile your system to use
    as much memory as you can spare for the disk cache. This increases
    the likelihood that a file can be loaded from the cache without reading
    from the disk. Second, use a RAM disk and put in.httpd and other
    server binaries on it. They can go in /bin or (my preference) you can
    create a /local directory tree containing a /local/bin directory. Just
    be sure that the bin directory on the RAM disk that holds in.httpd is
    the first directory in your PATH.

    With your 286 with 4 MB RAM you might not be able to have both a
    RAM disk and a large disk cache. You'll have to experiment and find
    out which is most useful. The cache will be best if you are activating
    in.httpd often and not doing anything else with the machine. The
    RAM disk will be better if you are doing more than just serving web
    pages.

    I also have to say I gave up on trying to keep up-to-date with 16-bit
    Minix once OSDI/2 was complete. I had too many computers and it
    was time to get rid of the XT and the AT. That was 10 years ago!
    You can surely find someone who will give you a second-hand
    Pentium at this point. In most places in the US,. at least, people
    now have to pay to dispose of old computers and other electronic
    devices. So an offer to remove an unwanted computer for free is
    likely to be accepted.

    - Al

  3. Re: Problem with "man"; httpd slow

    Hello,

    > > I am running Minix-i86 2.0.4 on a 286 system (16 Mhz, 4 Mb), which works
    > > quite well so far. Anyway, I've got two questions:
    > >
    > > When I try to run "man", I get this message:
    > > "man: nroff: No such file or directory"

    > Be sure your PATH includes both /bin and /usr/bin. You can set the
    > PATH in several places, /etc/profile is the best place if you want all
    > users to have the same access. Be sure to comment out any PATH
    > assignment in your home directory's .profile if you don't want to
    > override the common settings in /etc/profile.

    If I login as root or bin, it works. But if I login as www, it doesn't.
    Strange enough, if I login as "basti" (my almost never used own account as
    the system is fresh installed), it does work, too.

    The environment only differs in the PATH setting and PAGER/EDITOR not set
    for www's account.
    basti's PATH: /usr/home/basti/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin
    www's PATH: /bin:/usr/bin

    > To find the man pages you also need a MANPATH setting. I don't
    > remember if one already exists by default in a new Minix 2.0.4
    > installation.

    It doesn't, but the man pages are found anyway. Only nroff isn't.

    > You can also read any file foprmatted as a man page with the
    > command
    > nroff -man | more
    > This is helpful when you are writing a new page which is not yet
    > installed in the /usr/man or /usr/local/man directory trees.

    I have no idea yet. The system is freshly installed, only httpd is added.
    That way basti isn't used yet, only www as a user account.

    > > The second question is about the httpd.
    > > It compiled correctly and works well, but it is very slow (according to

    the
    > > system, this is to be expected).

    > Httpd has to be loaded from the disk each time it is invoked. If your

    I checked the times (by counting) between the hdd-led flashing (and hearing
    the noise); it is the first access to the HTTP server. The other ones aren't
    faster anymoer.

    Call http://192.168.2.86 from another system
    <5 seconds later>
    Reading some amount of data (1 sec)
    <~25 seconds later>
    Disk access (very short, maybe 0.5 sec)
    <~30 seconds later>
    Disk access (again maybe 0.5 sec)
    <~20 seconds later>
    Another disk access, same moment the "Index of /" arrives.

    > Minix system is primarily used as an http server there are two things
    > you can do to speed this up. One is to compile your system to use
    > as much memory as you can spare for the disk cache. This increases
    > the likelihood that a file can be loaded from the cache without reading
    > from the disk. Second, use a RAM disk and put in.httpd and other

    You mean something like increasing the RAM disk inside the boot loader?
    Now my line is:
    Memory size=4040K MINIX=210K RAM disk=512K Available=3318K

    > server binaries on it. They can go in /bin or (my preference) you can
    > create a /local directory tree containing a /local/bin directory. Just
    > be sure that the bin directory on the RAM disk that holds in.httpd is
    > the first directory in your PATH.

    Maybe that can help.
    I'm not that familiar with Minix, how can I create a Ram disk as a file
    system?
    In Linux I did a "mkfs /dev/ram?" and "mount /dev/ram?" - there are no such
    devices here.

    > With your 286 with 4 MB RAM you might not be able to have both a
    > RAM disk and a large disk cache. You'll have to experiment and find
    > out which is most useful. The cache will be best if you are activating
    > in.httpd often and not doing anything else with the machine. The
    > RAM disk will be better if you are doing more than just serving web
    > pages.

    The hard disk spins down after only two minutes, so a Ram disk would at
    least perform a bit better (the files will still have to be read from hdd).
    Anyway, /usr/local/bin/httpd and /usr/local/bin/in.httpd are identical...
    the ram disk has only to have maybe 60 Kb (httpd + dir2html).

    > I also have to say I gave up on trying to keep up-to-date with 16-bit
    > Minix once OSDI/2 was complete. I had too many computers and it
    > was time to get rid of the XT and the AT. That was 10 years ago!
    > You can surely find someone who will give you a second-hand
    > Pentium at this point. In most places in the US,. at least, people
    > now have to pay to dispose of old computers and other electronic
    > devices. So an offer to remove an unwanted computer for free is
    > likely to be accepted.

    OSDI/2 - what is that? Do you mean the book?
    I live in Germany, but I do own some computers - the 286 is only a portable
    and as such a bit ... I don't want to waste it

    Is there a wget for 16-bit Minix? GNU wget 1.7.1 doesn't want to compile
    (configure's got no memory).

    Regards,
    Sebastian

  4. Re: Problem with "man"; httpd slow

    Nobody got an idea about the slow httpd?

    I simply do not believe it is the protocol stack, because the files are
    transmitted at once and not in parts.
    The connection is established simultaneously, but the first response is far
    too time consuming.
    Nobody has an idea about speeding things up a bit?

    (System: Minix 2.0.4 on 80286/16 and 4 Mb memory)

    Regards,
    Sebastian

+ Reply to Thread