3.1.3 - Minix

This is a discussion on 3.1.3 - Minix ; We are busily working on 3.1.3. Ben is taking off for a few weeks, but when he gets back, he will start putting together a preliminary release. Think sometime in October for an initial release. Some of the key features ...

  1. 3.1.3

    We are busily working on 3.1.3. Ben is taking off for a few weeks, but
    when he gets back, he will start putting together a preliminary
    release. Think sometime in October for an initial release.

    Some of the key features of 3.1.3 are

    - Better fault tolerance (ability to recover from driver crashes)
    - A virtual file system with vnodes and the like
    - Tools for doing system performance monitoring
    - Many bug fixes
    - Lots of contributed software on the CD-ROM image
    - A port to the PowerPC (Apple iBook G4)

    The latter is actually independent of 3.1.3 but changes that were
    required to split the machine dependent and independent parts of the
    code will be reflected back in the Intel code. This should make ports
    to other hardware much easier.

    I will probably put the documentation for VFS and PPC online before the
    distribution is ready.

    After that, the next major project is virtual memory, but that won't be
    in there until the first part of next year.

    Andy Tanenbaum

  2. Re: 3.1.3

    > - A virtual file system with vnodes and the like
    Does this mean that it will be possible to add a NFS driver and mount a
    volume?

    Also, how is the PPC code being split from the x86 port?

    -Ivan

  3. Re: 3.1.3

    "ast" wrote in message
    news:1156242196.600014.232860@i42g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > We are busily working on 3.1.3. Ben is taking off for a few weeks, but
    > when he gets back, he will start putting together a preliminary
    > release. Think sometime in October for an initial release.
    >
    > Some of the key features of 3.1.3 are
    >
    > - Better fault tolerance (ability to recover from driver crashes)
    > - A virtual file system with vnodes and the like
    > - Tools for doing system performance monitoring
    > - Many bug fixes
    > - Lots of contributed software on the CD-ROM image
    > - A port to the PowerPC (Apple iBook G4)
    >
    > The latter is actually independent of 3.1.3 but changes that were
    > required to split the machine dependent and independent parts of the
    > code will be reflected back in the Intel code. This should make ports
    > to other hardware much easier.
    >
    > I will probably put the documentation for VFS and PPC online before the
    > distribution is ready.
    >
    > After that, the next major project is virtual memory, but that won't be
    > in there until the first part of next year.
    >
    > Andy Tanenbaum

    This is cool! I have been away for awhile, and I am really looking forward
    to ramping up my porting efforts again. Hopefully we will see the new
    distro soon. : )

    The Grue

+ Reply to Thread