Laptop Display problem - Minix

This is a discussion on Laptop Display problem - Minix ; I have a 14 inch monitor but the default display uses only about 6 inches in height and about 7 in length. A lot of screen is not being used at all. I want to change the defaults so that ...

  1. Laptop Display problem

    I have a 14 inch monitor but the default display uses only about 6
    inches in height and about 7 in length. A lot of screen is not being
    used at all. I want to change the defaults so that the whole screen is
    used.

    I previously tried freebsd and initially had the same problem. The
    solution then was to recompile the kernel with the following options in
    the configuration file:

    options SC_PIXEL_MODE
    options VESA

    and then to enable it i needed to edit /etc/rc.conf and set the option
    "allscreens_flags=VESA_800x600".

    (i did not figure this out by myself, im not smart enough but got
    answers from usenet ).

    Please tell me how i can go about doing something similar in minix 3 to
    get my display to use the full screen. Thanks.

  2. Re: Laptop Display problem

    On Sat, 22 Jul 2006, neil wrote:

    > I have a 14 inch monitor but the default display uses only about 6 inches in
    > height and about 7 in length. A lot of screen is not being used at all. I want
    > to change the defaults so that the whole screen is used.
    >
    > I previously tried freebsd and initially had the same problem. The solution
    > then was to recompile the kernel with the following options in the
    > configuration file:
    >
    > options SC_PIXEL_MODE
    > options VESA
    >
    > and then to enable it i needed to edit /etc/rc.conf and set the option
    > "allscreens_flags=VESA_800x600".
    >
    > (i did not figure this out by myself, im not smart enough but got answers from
    > usenet ).
    >
    > Please tell me how i can go about doing something similar in minix 3 to get my
    > display to use the full screen. Thanks.

    Hello, can anyone please help, urgently?

  3. Re: Laptop Display problem

    neil wrote:

    > Hello, can anyone please help, urgently?

    Please,

    do not quote your entire previous message

    see if there is anything in the laptop's BIOS or setup to enable or
    disable screen scaling

    with my Thinkpad there is a hotkey to enable or disable scaling while
    booting (for some reason, it does not work after linux's kernel boots),
    and also a switch in BIOS for doing that

    tell us the make and model of your laptop. This will help people with
    similar laptops to check it out for you.

    -Kimmo S.
    --
    A broad path is not a broad heart, but a broad conscience.

+ Reply to Thread