long long and other porting questions - Minix

This is a discussion on long long and other porting questions - Minix ; I'm working on porting a window manager, 'wmii' ( http://wmii.de/ ) , to Minix. I initially tried using 'gcc' but it wouldn't link against 'libX11.a' saying it was the wrong format. Is the format of GNU generated .a files different ...

  1. long long and other porting questions

    I'm working on porting a window manager, 'wmii' (http://wmii.de/) , to
    Minix. I initially tried using 'gcc' but it wouldn't link against
    'libX11.a' saying it was the wrong format. Is the format of GNU
    generated .a files different from the Minix native ones? Or have I got
    a path issue and am using the wrong program?

    I tried compiling using 'cc' but the code uses a 'long long' type which
    it doesn't appear to support. Is there a workaround for porting code to
    'cc' using 'long long'?

    A workaround I settled on was to modify the code to use a struct
    containing two longs. One other problem I encountered was binding a
    socket to a specific IP address. This would give errors but using
    INADDR_ANY worked. I also encountered this with the Little Smalltalk
    port

    With this and a few other tweaks I got wmii working. I'll release the
    code once I've managed to get the binding to a specific IP working and
    run a few more tests.

    Chris.
    --
    http://www.minixtips.com

  2. Re: long long and other porting questions

    In article <1151913280.955380.240370@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups. com>,
    Chris Double wrote:
    >I'm working on porting a window manager, 'wmii' (http://wmii.de/) , to
    >Minix. I initially tried using 'gcc' but it wouldn't link against
    >'libX11.a' saying it was the wrong format. Is the format of GNU
    >generated .a files different from the Minix native ones? Or have I got
    >a path issue and am using the wrong program?

    No, ACK and gcc have different object formats.

    Compiling X with gcc is not hard. But I have to take a look at the X
    config files to make sure that the gcc libraries can co-exist with the
    ones compiled with ACK.

    >I tried compiling using 'cc' but the code uses a 'long long' type which
    >it doesn't appear to support. Is there a workaround for porting code to
    >'cc' using 'long long'?

    Not really.

    >A workaround I settled on was to modify the code to use a struct
    >containing two longs. One other problem I encountered was binding a
    >socket to a specific IP address. This would give errors but using
    >INADDR_ANY worked. I also encountered this with the Little Smalltalk
    >port

    Binding a socket to the IP address of the interface is supposed to work.