TTY Panic - Minix

This is a discussion on TTY Panic - Minix ; If I SSH into Minix, run screen, and then run a command that does a lot of scrolling output (like untarring a large archive) I almost always get a TTY panic that crashes Minix. Has anyone else come across this? ...

  1. TTY Panic

    If I SSH into Minix, run screen, and then run a command that does a lot
    of scrolling output (like untarring a large archive) I almost always
    get a TTY panic that crashes Minix. Has anyone else come across this?

    Chris.
    --
    http://www.minixtips.com

  2. Re: TTY Panic

    All,

    > If I SSH into Minix, run screen, and then run a command that does a lot
    > of scrolling output (like untarring a large archive) I almost always
    > get a TTY panic that crashes Minix. Has anyone else come across this?

    Yep, it's a remainder of a conversion of all device drivers to stop
    sending REVIVE messages to FS. They're not supposed to do that any
    more, but TTY still did sometimes in pty's. This, and several other,
    bugs in tty are fixed in the cvs version, available as tarred cvs
    snapshot from the website.

    =Ben

  3. Re: TTY Panic

    Chris Double wrote:
    > If I SSH into Minix, run screen, and then run a command that does a lot
    > of scrolling output (like untarring a large archive) I almost always
    > get a TTY panic that crashes Minix. Has anyone else come across this?

    I haven't noticed what you describe, but I've seen something that may
    be related, on input rather than output, with Minix 3.1.0. I have
    3.1.0 on a system I access remotely a lot, and I access it by telnet
    (Minix 3.1.0 did not yet support ssh). If I am editing online and do a
    lot of backspacing to correct my errors the Minix system will
    sometimes become unresponsive, but if I wait (possibly several
    minutes) it usually recovers.

    Another thing, possibly related, is that if I send a lot of input
    quickly, as for instance, by pasting text into my local terminal
    window while running elle or vi (elvis) on the remote Minix system,
    Minix often can't handle it. The first few lines I input will usually
    go into the text OK, but later lines will end up with extra or missing
    white space, or garbled in some other way. I'm talking about perhaps a
    thousand characters, half a 24x80 terminal window, being about as much
    as Minix can take rapidly.

    This is not new with Minix 3, I saw similar problems with Minix 2
    systems I accessed remotely.

    - Al

    --
    +----------------------------------+
    | Albert S. Woodhull |

  4. Re: TTY Panic

    awoodhull@hampshire.edu wrote:
    > The first few lines I input will usually
    > go into the text OK, but later lines will end up with extra or missing
    > white space, or garbled in some other way.

    I've also come across this when pasting text into Vim. Weird!

    Chris.
    --
    http://www.minixtips.com

  5. Re: TTY Panic

    All,

    I don't recognize what Al describes directly, but the latest tty can
    handle big pastes in pty's - they used to be truncated to 128 bytes or
    so. With any luck, what Al and Chris described is fixed too. Give it a
    go, if possible :-).

    =Ben

  6. Re: TTY Panic

    Ben Gras wrote:
    > I don't recognize what Al describes directly, but the latest tty can
    > handle big pastes in pty's - they used to be truncated to 128 bytes or
    > so. With any luck, what Al and Chris described is fixed too. Give it a
    > go, if possible :-).

    I've tried to build the latest snapshot but I get an error building fs
    due to undefined functions:

    exec cc -o fs -i main.o open.o read.o write.o pipe.o dmap.o \
    device.o exec.o path.o mount.o link.o super.o inode.o \
    cache.o cache2.o filedes.o stadir.o protect.o time.o \
    lock.o misc.o utility.o select.o timers.o table.o -lsys
    -lsysutil -ltimers
    Undefined:
    _cpf_preallocate
    _cpf_revoke
    _cpf_grant_magic
    _cpf_grant_direct

    I've guessing the snapshot is currently in a 'being worked on' state

    Chris.
    --
    http://www.minixtips.com

  7. Re: TTY Panic

    All,

    On 27 Jun 2006 18:49:09 -0700, Chris Double wrote:
    > Ben Gras wrote:
    >> I don't recognize what Al describes directly, but the latest tty can
    >> handle big pastes in pty's - they used to be truncated to 128 bytes or
    >> so. With any luck, what Al and Chris described is fixed too. Give it a
    >> go, if possible :-).

    > I've tried to build the latest snapshot but I get an error building fs
    > due to undefined functions:
    >
    > exec cc -o fs -i main.o open.o read.o write.o pipe.o dmap.o \
    > device.o exec.o path.o mount.o link.o super.o inode.o \
    > cache.o cache2.o filedes.o stadir.o protect.o time.o \
    > lock.o misc.o utility.o select.o timers.o table.o -lsys
    > -lsysutil -ltimers
    > Undefined:
    > _cpf_preallocate
    > _cpf_revoke
    > _cpf_grant_magic
    > _cpf_grant_direct
    >
    > I've guessing the snapshot is currently in a 'being worked on' state

    It is, but it does compile (and run) - you have to compile and install
    the libraries before compiling the rest though. And before that, the
    includes.

    A convenient shortcut I often use for this is:
    # make fresh install
    in /usr/src/tools.

    =Ben

  8. Re: TTY Panic

    Ben Gras wrote:
    > A convenient shortcut I often use for this is:
    > # make fresh install
    > in /usr/src/tools.

    Thanks for that. This gets me further with the latest snapshot but
    fails on:

    cd ./is && exec make - install
    exec cc -c -I/usr/include main.c
    exec cc -c -I/usr/include dmp.c
    exec cc -c -I/usr/include dmp_kernel.c
    exec cc -c -I/usr/include dmp_pm.c
    exec cc -c -I/usr/include dmp_fs.c
    "dmp_fs.c", line 43: unknown selector fp_cloexec
    make in /usr/src/servers/is: Exit code 1
    make in /usr/src/servers: Exit code 1
    make in /usr/src/tools: Exit code 1
    make in /usr/src/tools: Exit code 1

    Chris.
    --
    http://www.minixtips.com

  9. Re: TTY Panic

    "Chris Double" wrote:
    > "dmp_fs.c", line 43: unknown selector fp_cloexec
    > make in /usr/src/servers/is: Exit code 1

    Surely there will be a more permanent fix, but hand-changing "fp_cloexec" to
    "fp_cloexec_set" in that file should get it to compile for now..

    >> # make fresh install
    >> in /usr/src/tools.

    To anyone else trying to compile a daily snapshot: run "make depend" first.
    Also, with a sufficient amount of packages installed, make sure you have
    /usr/bin before /usr/local/bin in your path, or strange things will happen
    (ash failing to compile, the resulting image hanging during boot, etc).

    Kind regards,
    David

  10. Re: TTY Panic

    All,

    >> "dmp_fs.c", line 43: unknown selector fp_cloexec
    >> make in /usr/src/servers/is: Exit code 1

    > Surely there will be a more permanent fix, but hand-changing "fp_cloexec" to
    > "fp_cloexec_set" in that file should get it to compile for now..

    Yep, that snapshot was made at an inconvenient time. It's fixed in the
    next one.

    =Ben

  11. Re: TTY Panic

    Ben Gras wrote:

    > Yep, that snapshot was made at an inconvenient time. It's fixed in the
    > next one.

    Thanks! Any advice on what to chmem 'cc' and it's cousins too to build?
    I get occasional 'out of memory' errors during build.

    Chris.
    --
    http://www.minixtips.com

  12. Re: TTY Panic

    Chris Double wrote:

    > Thanks! Any advice on what to chmem 'cc' and it's cousins too to build?
    > I get occasional 'out of memory' errors during build.

    A little bit of googling found the 'binsizes' command. A 'binsizes
    big' enabled things to build.

    Chris.
    --
    http://www.minixtips.com

  13. Re: TTY Panic

    After doing a 'make fresh', or rebuilding the libraries, I guess it's a
    good idea to build all the commands again as well to pick up the new
    library implementations? A 'make all' and 'make install' in
    '/usr/src/commands' is all that's needed?

    Chris.
    --
    http://www.minixtips.com

  14. Re: TTY Panic

    All,

    > After doing a 'make fresh',

    (and install)

    > or rebuilding the libraries, I guess it's a
    > good idea to build all the commands again as well to pick up the new
    > library implementations? A 'make all' and 'make install' in
    > '/usr/src/commands' is all that's needed?

    Yes, although you'd have to do 'make clean' too as libraries aren't
    generally dependencies.

    =Ben

+ Reply to Thread