xdm command still can't work(under the qemu) - Minix

This is a discussion on xdm command still can't work(under the qemu) - Minix ; the xdm command still can't work when I try to change the capacity of memory by using command 'chmem ' ,and I have try to do many times by adjusting the number of memory,by the way,my minix3 is running on ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: xdm command still can't work(under the qemu)

  1. xdm command still can't work(under the qemu)

    the xdm command still can't work when I try to change the capacity of
    memory by using command 'chmem ' ,and I have try to do many times by
    adjusting the number of memory,by the way,my minix3 is running on the
    qemu ,and my host computer RAM is 224M and host operating system is
    Windows XP.
    I don't know why ?
    can you give me solution to this problem?
    thanks!!!!


  2. Re: xdm command still can't work(under the qemu)

    xzgfreeman1984@sina.com writes:

    > the xdm command still can't work when I try to change the capacity of
    > memory by using command 'chmem ' ,and I have try to do many times by
    > adjusting the number of memory,by the way,my minix3 is running on the
    > qemu ,and my host computer RAM is 224M and host operating system is
    > Windows XP.
    > I don't know why ?
    > can you give me solution to this problem?
    > thanks!!!!


    Can you start X by hand?

    Regards -- Markus


  3. Re: xdm command still can't work(under the qemu)


    M E Leypold wrote:
    > xzgfreeman1984@sina.com writes:
    >
    > > the xdm command still can't work when I try to change the capacity of
    > > memory by using command 'chmem ' ,and I have try to do many times by
    > > adjusting the number of memory,by the way,my minix3 is running on the
    > > qemu ,and my host computer RAM is 224M and host operating system is
    > > Windows XP.
    > > I don't know why ?
    > > can you give me solution to this problem?
    > > thanks!!!!

    >
    > Can you start X by hand?
    >
    > Regards -- Markus


    I don't understand what you said which is can you start X by hand ?
    how to start X by hand ?
    doesn't use xdm command?


  4. Re: xdm command still can't work(under the qemu)

    xzgfreeman1984@sina.com wrote:
    > I don't understand what you said which is can you start X by hand ?
    > how to start X by hand ?


    What happens if you just run Xorg? So:

    $ Xorg

    If you don't have enough memory assigned to Xorg, or if it has more
    memory assigned to it than memory you have available, you'll get
    something like:

    $ Xorg
    Xorg: not enough core

    What does 'chmem' on Xorg give you? Do:

    $ su
    <...root password...>
    # chmem +0 /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg

    On my machine I get:

    # chmem +0 /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg
    Stack+malloc area changed from X to Y

    Where 'X' and 'Y' are big numbers. What are they?

    Try changing 'X' to a lower value with:

    $ su
    <...root password...>
    # chmem =100000000 /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg
    # CTRL+D
    $ Xorg

    Does it run now or give errors? Try adjusting the number used in chmem
    up or down.

    Chris.
    --
    http://www.minixtips.com


  5. Re: xdm command still can't work(under the qemu)

    The way I eventually got it to work was to start MINIX in small mode
    and chmem the Xorg binary until it ran. No matter now many times I
    chmemed it in the large mode, it never worked.

    -Thasadams


    Chris Double wrote:
    > xzgfreeman1984@sina.com wrote:
    > > I don't understand what you said which is can you start X by hand ?
    > > how to start X by hand ?

    >
    > What happens if you just run Xorg? So:
    >
    > $ Xorg
    >
    > If you don't have enough memory assigned to Xorg, or if it has more
    > memory assigned to it than memory you have available, you'll get
    > something like:
    >
    > $ Xorg
    > Xorg: not enough core
    >
    > What does 'chmem' on Xorg give you? Do:
    >
    > $ su
    > <...root password...>
    > # chmem +0 /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg
    >
    > On my machine I get:
    >
    > # chmem +0 /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg
    > Stack+malloc area changed from X to Y
    >
    > Where 'X' and 'Y' are big numbers. What are they?
    >
    > Try changing 'X' to a lower value with:
    >
    > $ su
    > <...root password...>
    > # chmem =100000000 /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg
    > # CTRL+D
    > $ Xorg
    >
    > Does it run now or give errors? Try adjusting the number used in chmem
    > up or down.
    >
    > Chris.
    > --
    > http://www.minixtips.com



+ Reply to Thread