Newbie Questions - Minix

This is a discussion on Newbie Questions - Minix ; I have the latest iso of Minux and I installed it on a 486 upgraded with an overdrive chip to ~ P1 at 89mhz. Its got 64mb ram and a 400mb hdd. But I was under the impression that I ...

  1. Newbie Questions

    I have the latest iso of Minux and I installed it on a 486 upgraded with
    an overdrive chip to ~ P1 at 89mhz. Its got 64mb ram and a 400mb hdd.
    But I was under the impression that I needed only a 200mb partition for
    minux. So when I got to the 'packman' installation section I realised
    that for me a default install of "everything" would have been easier.
    My question is: what packages should I choose to install to get a
    working X-window? Do I have enough space?
    Thanks.

  2. Re: Newbie Questions

    All,

    > I have the latest iso of Minux and I installed it on a 486 upgraded with
    > an overdrive chip to ~ P1 at 89mhz. Its got 64mb ram and a 400mb hdd.
    > But I was under the impression that I needed only a 200mb partition for
    > minux. So when I got to the 'packman' installation section I realised
    > that for me a default install of "everything" would have been easier.
    > My question is: what packages should I choose to install to get a
    > working X-window? Do I have enough space?

    All you need for X is the X package itself, it doesn't depend on
    anything else. It is about 185MB though, uncompressed, so you'll
    probably want to allocate all of that 400MB to Minix if possible.

    The remaining problem is 64MB RAM. Because certain implementation
    details, the X server needs to throw away at least as much RAM as you
    have video memory. Hopefully this will fit. But if it does,
    you'll have to tune the sizes of the X executables in /usr/X11R6/bin.

    If you get that far, we can help with that stage.

    =Ben

  3. <minix3.1.2a on VMware> please pickMeUp

    i think you have experienced with minix
    so i ask this question for second

    i have installed minix 3.1.2a on vmware,
    i have plan to install it on my computer soon... to learn about it(what
    the new n its advantages than linux).
    but till now i can't install the all software package cos i don't know
    the
    where mount point n how to mount of cdrom(all software package that i
    downloaded from the web are burned on this cd). can you tell me
    where? or how to install the package from cd....
    i've try packman but doesn't work well.

    if you have free ebook about minix os to read, share me please?
    level
    conversation for beginner like me...for almost all threads) tell me(in
    order to understanding minix fast)...thanks a lot

    br

    --

    tambun

  4. Re: Newbie Questions

    my minix on vmware
    well i have already with packman ... all got installed... include
    Xorg(sorry i forgot the name but i think it related with X11R6 package)
    but is it true that minix 3.1.2a doesnt have gui when i got installed
    then i typed xdm nothing happen still with the "black screen" ... then
    i try to typed startx appears the message "fatal error ... x server
    have .....bla ...bla... "

    can you tell me about how to activated gui in minix.... (as i know
    there are cute screen/snapshot about interface on the minix3.org ==>
    how to make it in my computer?!) yeah i have download X11R6 package
    from minix3.org but it and also the other downloaded package on my
    windows drive so how to get access on windows drive...

    cos i'm newbie... i need your help for the next

    thanks

    --
    tambun

    Ben Gras wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > > I have the latest iso of Minux and I installed it on a 486 upgraded with
    > > an overdrive chip to ~ P1 at 89mhz. Its got 64mb ram and a 400mb hdd.
    > > But I was under the impression that I needed only a 200mb partition for
    > > minux. So when I got to the 'packman' installation section I realised
    > > that for me a default install of "everything" would have been easier.
    > > My question is: what packages should I choose to install to get a
    > > working X-window? Do I have enough space?

    > All you need for X is the X package itself, it doesn't depend on
    > anything else. It is about 185MB though, uncompressed, so you'll
    > probably want to allocate all of that 400MB to Minix if possible.
    >
    > The remaining problem is 64MB RAM. Because certain implementation
    > details, the X server needs to throw away at least as much RAM as you
    > have video memory. Hopefully this will fit. But if it does,
    > you'll have to tune the sizes of the X executables in /usr/X11R6/bin.
    >
    > If you get that far, we can help with that stage.
    >
    > =Ben

+ Reply to Thread