Re: Future. - Minix

This is a discussion on Re: Future. - Minix ; Welcome to science! We never "know", we just "guess". And even that sometimes in a wrong way. All we actually can do is trying to give answers to the past, since we know a little more things about it (f.i. ...

  1. Re: Future.

    Welcome to science! We never "know", we just "guess". And even that
    sometimes in a wrong way. All we actually can do is trying to give
    answers to the past, since we know a little more things about it (f.i.
    things you mentioned in the 50s). We can "try" to do the right things
    in present and "hope" we will be right in the future as well. Since
    this is very thrilling we all love this kind of work :-)

    --Mat

  2. Re: Future.

    Mat wrote:

    > Welcome to science! We never "know", we just "guess". And even that
    > sometimes in a wrong way. All we actually can do is trying to give
    > answers to the past, since we know a little more things about it (f.i.
    > things you mentioned in the 50s). We can "try" to do the right things
    > in present and "hope" we will be right in the future as well. Since
    > this is very thrilling we all love this kind of work :-)
    >
    > --Mat

    Look it was such person named G. Ford
    he was not:
    - a scientist
    - a projecting engineer
    - Even his economical theories look into works Lord Archer.

    But he (G.Ford) defined the future for many years forward.

    Science may pro-pose, under some problem
    engeneers may develop according to reqvmnts, sometimes seccesfully sometimes
    not.

    What makes UNIX-like OSes better than the Oberon, and alternatively.
    Yes it is hard to imagine httpd under Oberon.
    >From the other point of view

    a script on Oberon-1, would be stable (safe) enough
    but faster than simmilar script on PHP(!).

    We come to the border where most of (not embedded) computer activity is
    processing of video and sound in several formats
    and scripting languages mostly PHP and HTML.
    Why not plug DSP, hardware scripts processor, and hardware database request
    processor
    in computer of future, instead of "traditional" processor?

    It may seams depelopers of modern programs do not care about efficient of memory
    usage,
    as it was cultivated in same culture which worked out processor architectures.
    Alto had simmilar functionlity with the K.D.E. but software of Alto requaired
    few orders
    less memory than the K.D.E. or the G.N.O.M.E.
    When I wrote scripting language for web to save memory and processor resources,
    I found it is not wanted. Priorities are changed. What was a misstake in 50th,
    now is a prefferance. (Meanless content help internet providers,
    and their equipmnt manuftrs. At leas this makes such contents not meanless).

    Is it need to return to the past in the future?

    --Quas.co.ua

    P.S. By the way, I saw book of AST about data structures
    on russian published in soviets' times.
    It not seams such that devlprs of K.D.E. follow it.

  3. Re: Future.

    Mat wrote:

    > Welcome to science!

    By the way, thank you for invitation,
    I'll look into the science.

    > --Mat

  4. Re: Future.

    "Quas.co.ua" writes:

    > What makes UNIX-like OSes better than the Oberon, and alternatively.
    > Yes it is hard to imagine httpd under Oberon.

    Oberon has been designed as OS for a graphical work station. The
    original beron was single threaded and there is an anekdote that N
    Wirth said at some presentation of the first Oberon system that multi
    threading is for people with slow Hardware which can't answer the user
    requests (almost) instantanteously.

    :-)

    Apart from that: Quas I do not quite understand what you're aiming
    at. If you're trying to start some initiative or activity of some
    kind, wouldn't it be more sensible to just start a project and post it
    here or at least write some kind of manifesto which gives a clear aim
    (like "the community in my opinion needs a (...) which (...), for the
    following reasons (...). I propose to start a project which aims to
    deliver this (...). I ask people intrested in this, to mail to
    (...). Our next steps then will be to (...)".

    I'm not sure wether you're actually trying to suggest a project, but
    if you do, think about the texts xou pos here as some kind of business
    plan (of course you don't have to convince venture capitalists but the
    community, but generally the problem would be the same: Make people
    see their advantage in a proposition of yours and show that you have
    enough clue to folow it through and thus make other people's
    investement (time) worth the risk).

    > P.S. By the way, I saw book of AST about data structures
    > on russian published in soviets' times.
    > It not seams such that devlprs of K.D.E. follow it.

    You know, books are not law. :-)

    Regards -- Markus

  5. Re: Future.

    M E Leypold wrote:

    > "Quas.co.ua" writes:
    >
    > > What makes UNIX-like OSes better than the Oberon, and alternatively.
    > > Yes it is hard to imagine httpd under Oberon.

    > Oberon has been designed as OS for a graphical work station. The
    > original beron was single threaded and there is an anekdote that N
    > Wirth said at some presentation of the first Oberon system that multi
    > threading is for people with slow Hardware which can't answer the user

    In ther English Language already about few hundreeds of Years
    one Noun ought to be written not from thy capital Letter.

    Ther English Word "'et antword" writes with "V".

    Also "an anekdote" may be just "a joke". ))

    > requests (almost) instantanteously.
    >
    > :-)
    >
    > Apart from that: Quas I do not quite understand what you're aiming
    > at. If you're trying to start some initiative or activity of some
    > kind, wouldn't it be more sensible to just start a project and post it
    > here or at least write some kind of manifesto which gives a clear aim
    > (like "the community in my opinion needs a (...) which (...), for the
    > following reasons (...). I propose to start a project which aims to
    > deliver this (...). I ask people intrested in this, to mail to
    > (...). Our next steps then will be to (...)".

    Much than I wrote in my last project
    was about half of prprocessor C-like language
    C like because of only strange operator of()
    which should extended functinality of peer-to-peer networks.
    But out code had be closer to Pascal than to C,
    because of hidden calls to strange operator which
    analize pointers and returnes resolved for machine.

    Before I worked at some language wrote out lexical analizer
    but some idiot who told about authority of the Security Service of Ukraine
    last was near my bad with computer notebook Toshiba T4400SX.
    At now word TOSHIBA looks to memoprial to totalitar secret police,
    whom modern Security Service of Ukraine count as their roots...

    Yet before in 1994 I composed some kind of manifesto,
    around my idea "CodeMorFing" and "New conception of personal computers
    measurements."
    After about 5 years I read my manifesto in press-release of Transmeta.
    Finally they removed all those examples with car (in my version with motor-bike)
    and released some team.

    >From the begging my codemofing looked as dynamic brake- points setting and

    dynamical code changement,
    as a consequence with changement of functionality of precompiled (better say
    pre-assembled)
    software with goal to change functionality of software or emulating
    some hardware (for example sound or video) and/or some other triks.
    Before were used some static code manipulation systems,
    I planed to make them dynamic.

    But I do not want to let this country to robe me again.
    I want to get out from here,
    in the country where it is enough to make a report in police
    on employ of Security Service of Ukraine to be protected.
    (Surely I want to live not in Poland.)
    (I faced with problems which Netherlands do not need.
    But I plan someday to move into the London.)

    > I'm not sure wether you're actually trying to suggest a project, but
    > if you do, think about the texts xou pos here as some kind of business
    > plan (of course you don't have to convince venture capitalists but the
    > community, but generally the problem would be the same: Make people
    > see their advantage in a proposition of yours and show that you have
    > enough clue to folow it through and thus make other people's
    > investement (time) worth the risk).
    >
    > > P.S. By the way, I saw book of AST about data structures
    > > on russian published in soviets' times.
    > > It not seams such that devlprs of K.D.E. follow it.

    > You know, books are not law. :-)
    >
    > Regards -- Markus

  6. Re: Future.

    "Quas.co.ua" writes:

    > M E Leypold wrote:
    > >
    > > "Quas.co.ua" writes:
    > >
    > > > What makes UNIX-like OSes better than the Oberon, and alternatively.
    > > > Yes it is hard to imagine httpd under Oberon.

    > > Oberon has been designed as OS for a graphical work station. The
    > > original beron was single threaded and there is an anekdote that N
    > > Wirth said at some presentation of the first Oberon system that multi
    > > threading is for people with slow Hardware which can't answer the user

    > In ther English Language already about few hundreeds of Years
    > one Noun ought to be written not from thy capital Letter.

    Well, many apologies on that. I'm German, you know, and where the
    words are the same (Hardware/hardware) it sometimes typos do escape my
    attention.

    > Ther English Word "'et antword" writes with "V".

    ??

    > Also "an anekdote" may be just "a joke". ))

    It should have been "anecdote". And anecdotes are AFAIS no jokes, but
    abbreviated and stylized narrations of (often) true events which often
    have paradigmatic character.

    > > requests (almost) instantanteously.
    > >
    > > :-)
    > >
    > > Apart from that: Quas I do not quite understand what you're aiming
    > > at. If you're trying to start some initiative or activity of some

    > Much than I wrote in my last project was about half of prprocessor

    <...>

    > Before I worked at some language wrote out lexical analizer
    > but some idiot who told about authority of the Security Service of Ukraine
    > last was near my bad with computer notebook Toshiba T4400SX.
    > At now word TOSHIBA looks to memoprial to totalitar secret police,
    > whom modern Security Service of Ukraine count as their roots...

    <...>

    > Yet before in 1994 I composed some kind of manifesto,

    <...>

    > After about 5 years I read my manifesto in press-release of Transmeta.

    <...>

    > But I do not want to let this country to robe me again.

    <...>

    > I want to get out from here,

    <...>

    > But I plan someday to move into the London.)

    So much about your personal situation -- which sounds quite, ah,
    interesting, even if there it is a bit off topic in c.o.m. Perhaps a
    touch too much of black helicopter theme here, if you ask me, but this
    is just personal preference. Let's hope the security service of
    Ukraine doesn't have usenet access.

    But ...

    > > I'm not sure wether you're actually trying to suggest a project, but
    > > if you do, think about the texts xou pos here as some kind of business
    > > plan (of course you don't have to convince venture capitalists but the
    > > community, but generally the problem would be the same: Make people
    > > see their advantage in a proposition of yours and show that you have
    > > enough clue to folow it through and thus make other people's
    > > investement (time) worth the risk).

    .... what now about the project you want to start here?

    I'm not the usenet police, so it be far from me, to suggest you
    shouldn't post to c.o.m. But contributions to c.o.m will, I think,
    find responses if they have/are any of the following things

    - Questions about Minix.

    - Contributions to Minix (howtos, patches, announcements of projects
    and or sites)

    - Calls for contributions to some (Minix related) project.

    (note the recurring theme of "Minix" here, as coincidentally in the
    name of the group)

    I don't say you can't post to c.o.m if your post doesn't contain any
    of these. After all the c.o.m is not moderated (except by filters in
    the clients of the individual subscribers). But I dare say, that there
    is a certain risk of the response being not totally satisfactory (if
    response is what you want and its not alone the act writing that eases
    the urge, so to say).

    I, personally, was just curious, to which aim all your (in my
    perception rather erratic) writing would be targeted or wether I'm
    just a victim of a language barrier.

    If it is the latter, please feel free to try again (but I suggest once
    again, that if you're advertising projects, you try to keep the idea of
    a "business case" in the loosest sense of the word fixed in your mind
    while writing, see above).

    Regards -- Markus

  7. Re: Future.

    M E Leypold wrote:
    > "Quas.co.ua" writes:
    >

    > Well, many apologies on that. I'm German, you know, and where the
    > words are the same (Hardware/hardware) it sometimes typos do escape my
    > attention.
    >

    > > Ther English Word "'et antword" writes with "V".

    > ??

    Beg you pradon I thought you are the Holander, since VUA is located in
    Holand.

    > So much about your personal situation -- which sounds quite, ah,
    > interesting, even if there it is a bit off topic in c.o.m. Perhaps a
    > touch too much of black helicopter theme here, if you ask me, but this
    > is just personal preference. Let's hope the security service of
    > Ukraine doesn't have usenet access.

    I'll tell you even more they monitore usenet, several phorums and
    amateurs networks,
    this information I've got from several person who does it,
    but I have a right to cover my sorces of information.

    > But ...
    >
    > > > I'm not sure wether you're actually trying to suggest a project, but
    > > > if you do, think about the texts xou pos here as some kind of business
    > > > plan (of course you don't have to convince venture capitalists but the
    > > > community, but generally the problem would be the same: Make people
    > > > see their advantage in a proposition of yours and show that you have
    > > > enough clue to folow it through and thus make other people's
    > > > investement (time) worth the risk).

    > ... what now about the project you want to start here?
    >
    > I'm not the usenet police, so it be far from me, to suggest you
    > shouldn't post to c.o.m. But contributions to c.o.m will, I think,
    > find responses if they have/are any of the following things
    >
    > - Questions about Minix.

    It was begun from my proposal to add few more system calls to Minix,
    which could extend functinality of the system
    particularly it whould allow to obtain some functionality of dinamic
    code pre-compilation.

    > I, personally, was just curious, to which aim all your (in my
    > perception rather erratic) writing would be targeted or wether I'm
    > just a victim of a language barrier.

    I posted initial article as continuation of my proposal to extend
    system calls list.

    > If it is the latter, please feel free to try again (but I suggest once
    > again, that if you're advertising projects, you try to keep the idea of
    > a "business case" in the loosest sense of the word fixed in your mind
    > while writing, see above).

    When I post article about future of operation systems,
    I did not advertized any certain operation system, or future project.

    > Regards -- Markus

  8. Re: Future.

    [skip]

    > > I'm not the usenet police, so it be far from me, to suggest you
    > > shouldn't post to c.o.m. But contributions to c.o.m will, I think,
    > > find responses if they have/are any of the following things
    > >
    > > - Questions about Minix.

    I beg your pardon, people.
    That was surely off- topic.

+ Reply to Thread