the XDM command of minix3 doesn't work - Minix

This is a discussion on the XDM command of minix3 doesn't work - Minix ; the XDM command of minix3 doesn't work when finish the installation of package , I don't know why the situation happened, can you give me a answer?...

  1. the XDM command of minix3 doesn't work

    the XDM command of minix3 doesn't work when finish the installation of
    package ,
    I don't know why the situation happened,
    can you give me a answer?

  2. Re: the XDM command of minix3 doesn't work

    xzgfreeman1984@sina.com wrote:
    > the XDM command of minix3 doesn't work when finish the installation of
    > package ,
    > I don't know why the situation happened,
    > can you give me a answer?

    You probably need to use chmem to change the memory of Xorg. You can
    see it if you run Xorg directly that it runs out of memory. See here
    for my take on the issue:

    http://www.minixtips.com/2006/06/han...ry-issues.html

    Something as simple as the following may work (as root):

    chmem =120000000 /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg

    But it depends on how much memory you have on your Minix machine of
    course. The above works for me with 256MB of main memory.

    Chris.
    --
    http://www.minixtips.com

  3. Re: the XDM command of minix3 doesn't work

    I'm also having the same problem; xdm, X, Xorg all will not run. I
    tried your method of chmeming the binary, but it gives me an error,
    "Xorg: not enough core", and I also have 256 MB of main memory!

    I looked at another thread and found that this could be to do with the
    video card, any suggestions?

    Chris Double wrote:
    > xzgfreeman1984@sina.com wrote:
    > > the XDM command of minix3 doesn't work when finish the installation of
    > > package ,
    > > I don't know why the situation happened,
    > > can you give me a answer?

    > You probably need to use chmem to change the memory of Xorg. You can
    > see it if you run Xorg directly that it runs out of memory. See here
    > for my take on the issue:
    >
    > http://www.minixtips.com/2006/06/han...ry-issues.html
    >
    > Something as simple as the following may work (as root):
    >
    > chmem =120000000 /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg
    >
    > But it depends on how much memory you have on your Minix machine of
    > course. The above works for me with 256MB of main memory.
    >
    > Chris.
    > --
    > http://www.minixtips.com

  4. Re: the XDM command of minix3 doesn't work

    thasadams wrote:
    > I'm also having the same problem; xdm, X, Xorg all will not run. I
    > tried your method of chmeming the binary, but it gives me an error,
    > "Xorg: not enough core", and I also have 256 MB of main memory!

    How much memory did you assign to it using 'chmem'? Try adjusting it up
    or down in 25MB increments and see what happens each time would be a
    possibility.

    Chris.
    --
    http://www.minixtips.com

  5. Re: the XDM command of minix3 doesn't work

    Yep, just as I posted this, I clicked your website again, and it was
    up. (it was down yesterday). I eventually just booted MINIX in simple
    mode and ran the command, and it was fine. Good website.

    Chris Double wrote:
    > thasadams wrote:
    > > I'm also having the same problem; xdm, X, Xorg all will not run. I
    > > tried your method of chmeming the binary, but it gives me an error,
    > > "Xorg: not enough core", and I also have 256 MB of main memory!

    > How much memory did you assign to it using 'chmem'? Try adjusting it up
    > or down in 25MB increments and see what happens each time would be a
    > possibility.
    >
    > Chris.
    > --
    > http://www.minixtips.com

  6. Re: the XDM command of minix3 doesn't work

    thasadams wrote:
    > Yep, just as I posted this, I clicked your website again, and it was
    > up. (it was down yesterday). I eventually just booted MINIX in simple
    > mode and ran the command, and it was fine. Good website.

    Thanks! Yeah, it was down yesterday thanks to a powercut. I've moved it
    to a dedicated server so it'll be much more likely to stay up now. As
    long as Minix is stable of course, which it certainly seems to be so
    far.

    It's disturbing to see how many hack attempts are made on internet
    facing servers though. The ftpd.log file shows a request being made by
    the same IP address every second using the userid Administrator and
    password Administrator. over a period of about an hour. Weird!

    Chris.
    --
    http://www.minixtips.com

  7. Re: the XDM command of minix3 doesn't work

    That is odd indeed; you'd think that the program the hacker wrote would
    stop after one attempt...unless it was going through a group of IP
    addresses...

    Chris Double wrote:
    > thasadams wrote:
    > > Yep, just as I posted this, I clicked your website again, and it was
    > > up. (it was down yesterday). I eventually just booted MINIX in simple
    > > mode and ran the command, and it was fine. Good website.

    > Thanks! Yeah, it was down yesterday thanks to a powercut. I've moved it
    > to a dedicated server so it'll be much more likely to stay up now. As
    > long as Minix is stable of course, which it certainly seems to be so
    > far.
    >
    > It's disturbing to see how many hack attempts are made on internet
    > facing servers though. The ftpd.log file shows a request being made by
    > the same IP address every second using the userid Administrator and
    > password Administrator. over a period of about an hour. Weird!
    >
    > Chris.
    > --
    > http://www.minixtips.com

  8. Re: the XDM command of minix3 doesn't work

    "thasadams" writes:

    > That is odd indeed; you'd think that the program the hacker wrote would
    > stop after one attempt...unless it was going through a group of IP
    > addresses...
    >

    > Chris Double wrote:
    > > thasadams wrote:
    > > > Yep, just as I posted this, I clicked your website again, and it was
    > > > up. (it was down yesterday). I eventually just booted MINIX in simple
    > > > mode and ran the command, and it was fine. Good website.

    > > Thanks! Yeah, it was down yesterday thanks to a powercut. I've moved it
    > > to a dedicated server so it'll be much more likely to stay up now. As
    > > long as Minix is stable of course, which it certainly seems to be so
    > > far.
    > >
    > > It's disturbing to see how many hack attempts are made on internet
    > > facing servers though. The ftpd.log file shows a request being made by
    > > the same IP address every second using the userid Administrator and
    > > password Administrator. over a period of about an hour. Weird!

    I imagine that this might be a worm which is stupid and just probes
    random addresses w/o keeping a record of already probed
    addresses. Another possibility is an automated tool which is used by
    some cracker (not hacker! :-) which is incomptent enough not to know
    that repeated probing (i.e. in a program loop) doesn't make sense in
    this case.

    But I agree with CD, that what you can see in the logs these days is
    rather disturbing. I've been looking in my sshd-log(s) recently and
    what I saw would have been enough to cry murder some years ago. Today
    I know that it's useless: This attempts cannot be persecuted,
    originate from a zombied PC anyway and of course the dial in provider
    of the zombie box cannot be made to cooperate. I've recently spent 4
    weeks only to try to reach a person with some amount of responsibility
    in a case where a dial in PC put out ~ 50 to 100 virus mails per day
    to one of my addresses alone. The providers position at the end was:
    "we can't do anything" (if the customers PC misbehaves) which I
    consider rather irresponible.

    (Sorry for that being OT).

    Regards -- Markus

  9. Re: the XDM command of minix3 doesn't work

    I have the same problem, but i dont receive any error my screen just goes into stand-by mode and stays there. I tried chmem and reistalling MINIX but nothing really helped. Any tips how to make x manager work?

    I found whats wrong. i had to configure X and place the configuration file in /etc/X11/
    Last edited by javavall; 02-19-2010 at 02:24 PM.

  10. Re: the XDM command of minix3 doesn't work

    Quote Originally Posted by javavall View Post
    I have the same problem, but i dont receive any error my screen just goes into stand-by

    I found whats wrong. i had to configure X and place the configuration file in /etc/X11/
    That's weird. I had to put mine in /usr/pkg/X11R6/lib/X11/.

+ Reply to Thread