need help with network minix3 and qemu - Minix

This is a discussion on need help with network minix3 and qemu - Minix ; Hello, I have trouble getting the network configured in linux running gemu running minix3. It could be I misread what I find in the docs and on the net. I hope someone will be able to point me in the ...

  1. need help with network minix3 and qemu

    Hello,

    I have trouble getting the network configured in linux running gemu
    running minix3. It could be I misread what I find in the docs and on
    the net. I hope someone will be able to point me in the right
    direction. Much appreciated.

    thanks in advance,

    Gijs

    Here is what I understand: Qemu creates a virtual ne2000 network
    interface and minix3 should be configured to use that.

    I can go wrong at three different places (at least)

    1) I make an error in the setting up of the linux-bridge
    2) I err with the qemu network
    3) I have not configured minix3 correctly

    leaving 1) aside, this is what I did so far.

    [[Minix]]
    at install time of Minix3 I choose the dp8390
    I interupt boot and entered qemu_pci=1

    in /etc/inet.conf it reads this:
    eth0 dp8390 0 { default ;};

    when I boot minix3 (using qemu) I get this:

    dp8390#0: No ethernet card found at 0x240

    in var/log/messages:
    eth_set_rec_conf: waiting for device to appear
    eth_ioctl: suspending NWIOGETHSTAT ioctl

    [[Qemu]]
    Swithing to the qemu-consule (with Crtrl Alt 2) gives:

    info pci
    Bus 0, device 3, function 0:
    Ethernet controller: PCI device 10ec:8029
    IRQ 11
    BARO: I/O at 0xc100 [oxc1ff]

    info network
    tap: ifname=tap0 setup_script=/path_to_script
    ne2000 pci macadd=52.54.00 (etc.)

    --
    Silence is the element in which great things fashion themselves.
    -- Thomas Carlyle

  2. Re: need help with network minix3 and qemu

    Following up on my own post

    man inet gives this example

    eth0 DP8390 0 { default; };

    whereas some other doc say it should be

    eth0 dp8390 0 { default; };

    DP or dp?

    In the first case, booting mesg:

    Starting services: random ineteth0: unable to find task DP8390: -1

    In the latter case, booting mesg:

    Starting services: random dp8390 inet printer

  3. Re: need help with network minix3 and qemu

    ok, ok..

    I found the default driver config in /usr/etc/rc.local:
    dp8390_arg='DPETH0=240:9'

    and changed that to DPETH0=c100:11

    now booting mesg:
    dp83900#0: NE2000 at c100:11

    :-)

  4. Re: need help with network minix3 and qemu

    In article <87zmgwan73.fsf@hillenius.net>,
    Gijs Hillenius wrote:
    >when I boot minix3 (using qemu) I get this:
    >
    >dp8390#0: No ethernet card found at 0x240

    I guess you used option 5 (ne2000) in setup instead of option 4 (Realtek 8029).

    Change the I/O and IRQ settings in /usr/etc/rc.local to 'pci'

  5. Re: need help with network minix3 and qemu

    it works.

    thanks, all, for your patience :-)

+ Reply to Thread