waiting for [network] device to appear - Minix

This is a discussion on waiting for [network] device to appear - Minix ; I have installed Minix 3.1.2. The NIC is a RealTek RTL8139 (as reported by Knoppix) and I can't remember what selection I made at install-time (it said it could be changed later but didn't say how). On boot I get ...

  1. waiting for [network] device to appear

    I have installed Minix 3.1.2. The NIC is a RealTek RTL8139
    (as reported by Knoppix) and I can't remember what selection
    I made at install-time (it said it could be changed later but
    didn't say how).

    On boot I get the text:
    Starting networking: dhcpd, nonaed.
    eth_ioctl: suspending NWIOGETHSTAT ioctl
    eth_set_rec_conf: waiting for device to appear
    Alarm call
    Unable to obtain an IP address.

    My inet.conf says:
    eth0 dp8390 0 { default; };

    I haven't figured out what is happening (nonamed runs with
    the undocumented -L switch). I've made an entry in /etc/hosts
    and attempted manual ifconfig commands but have not made any
    other networking arrangements.

    http://www.notatla.org.uk/goen/

  2. Re: waiting for [network] device to appear

    > My inet.conf says:
    > eth0 dp8390 0 { default; };

    To start with, replace this by:
    eth0 rtl8139 0 { default; };

    ....and reboot

    Peter

  3. Re: waiting for [network] device to appear

    On 2006-06-01, Peter Boonstoppel wrote:
    >> My inet.conf says:
    >> eth0 dp8390 0 { default; };

    > To start with, replace this by:
    > eth0 rtl8139 0 { default; };
    >
    > ...and reboot

    Thanks - networking is now OK. Just a pity my post wasn't answered
    by Cindy Crawford of "man inet.conf" fame.

    http://www.notatla.org.uk/goen/

+ Reply to Thread