minix iii source - Minix

This is a discussion on minix iii source - Minix ; When one googles in search for sites that offer Minix source code browsing online (with keyword research), one can find some more that satisfying results. Unfortunately this is missing so far from Minix 3. I understand that Minix 3 is ...

  1. minix iii source

    When one googles in search for sites that offer Minix source code browsing
    online (with keyword research), one can find some more that satisfying
    results. Unfortunately this is missing so far from Minix 3. I understand
    that Minix 3 is continuously evolving and this makes hard to maintain such a
    project. Also the new 'X' dimension of Minix 3 adds some more thousands KB
    to the whole file space. However are there any plans for a Minix 3 code
    browsing tool?

    Speaking of X windows is any arrangements for a documentation that would
    cover the interaction between the Minix drivers and the X system and also
    the way the X protocol operates in the current state of Minix?

    Christos

  2. Re: minix iii source

    In article <1148906039.546461@athnrd02>,
    Christos Karayiannis wrote:
    >When one googles in search for sites that offer Minix source code browsing
    >online (with keyword research), one can find some more that satisfying
    >results. Unfortunately this is missing so far from Minix 3. I understand
    >that Minix 3 is continuously evolving and this makes hard to maintain such a
    >project. Also the new 'X' dimension of Minix 3 adds some more thousands KB
    >to the whole file space. However are there any plans for a Minix 3 code
    >browsing tool?

    There are plans to get cvsweb to run on Minix3 and to use that to provide
    access to the CVS repository.

    >Speaking of X windows is any arrangements for a documentation that would
    >cover the interaction between the Minix drivers and the X system and also
    >the way the X protocol operates in the current state of Minix?

    There is not much Minix 3 specific code in X. The only X transport protocol
    is over TCP/IP which the X code accesses using the standard socket interface.

    There is a little bit of glue that connects the X server to the video
    card, to keyboard and the mouse. But there is no magic there.

  3. Re: minix iii source

    > There is not much Minix 3 specific code in X. The only X transport

    protocol
    > is over TCP/IP which the X code accesses using the standard socket

    interface.

    > There is a little bit of glue that connects the X server to the video
    > card, to keyboard and the mouse. But there is no magic there.

    As far as I know the Minix socket interface is incomplete with system calls
    like bind(), socket(), etc missing. This certainly isn't a problem. The big
    issue is the little bit of glue, you mentioned. This is the most interesting
    thing because it ports a huge library like X to yet another OS without
    having to read and take in consideration all library's details

    Christos

  4. Re: minix iii source

    Christos Karayiannis wrote:
    > As far as I know the Minix socket interface is incomplete with system calls
    > like bind(), socket(), etc missing. This certainly isn't a problem. The big

    Huh?

    I'm really put out that no one told me. Only yesterday I ported and
    tested Hibachi 2.13, a mini web server, on Minix 3.1.2. I thought that
    the ssh session was a little ephemeral. But I'm surprised the test using
    lynx didn't fail once the page loaded. I suppose I'll have to report
    another bug about a sufficiently working socket API. Can't have that
    now. Microsoft might feel threatened that they no longer have a monopoly
    on undocumented APIs.

    --
    Anthony C Howe Skype: SirWumpus SnertSoft
    +33 6 11 89 73 78 AIM: SirWumpus Sendmail Milter Solutions

  5. Re: minix iii source

    In article <1148913780.954505@athnrd02>,
    Christos Karayiannis wrote:

    >> There is not much Minix 3 specific code in X. The only X transport

    >protocol
    >> is over TCP/IP which the X code accesses using the standard socket

    >interface.
    >>
    >> There is a little bit of glue that connects the X server to the video
    >> card, to keyboard and the mouse. But there is no magic there.

    >As far as I know the Minix socket interface is incomplete with system calls
    >like bind(), socket(), etc missing.

    Most socket calls have been added to the Minix 3 library.

    >This certainly isn't a problem. The big
    >issue is the little bit of glue, you mentioned. This is the most interesting
    >thing because it ports a huge library like X to yet another OS without
    >having to read and take in consideration all library's details

    Socket related glue can be found in
    xc/lib/xtrans/Xtranssock_mnx3.c

    Other glue in
    xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/minix3/

    But there may be a few other places with Minix 3 specific code.

  6. Re: minix iii source

    "Christos Karayiannis" wrote in message

    > > There is not much Minix 3 specific code in X. The only X transport

    > protocol
    > > is over TCP/IP which the X code accesses using the standard socket

    > interface.
    > >
    > > There is a little bit of glue that connects the X server to the video
    > > card, to keyboard and the mouse. But there is no magic there.

    > As far as I know the Minix socket interface is incomplete with system

    calls
    > like bind(), socket(), etc missing. This certainly isn't a problem. The

    big

    /usr/include/sys/socket.h includes protos for both bind and socket as well
    as other socket functions.

    The Grue

    > issue is the little bit of glue, you mentioned. This is the most

    interesting
    > thing because it ports a huge library like X to yet another OS without
    > having to read and take in consideration all library's details
    >
    > Christos

+ Reply to Thread