nonamed and SIGINT - Minix

This is a discussion on nonamed and SIGINT - Minix ; Hi, I just started to get to know minix (using 3.1.2) and I'm happily playing with its networking. I'm not a kernel programmer. There is something I don't understand. I can make nonamed quit by: - put one %nameserver entry ...

  1. nonamed and SIGINT

    Hi,

    I just started to get to know minix (using 3.1.2) and I'm happily
    playing with its networking. I'm not a kernel programmer.

    There is something I don't understand. I can make nonamed quit by:
    - put one %nameserver entry in /etc/hosts
    - make sure that nameserver cannot be reached
    - ping to some unknown machine
    Ping waits. I'm inpatient and press CTRL-C. Ping stops (expected). But
    (not expected) also nonamed quits.

    The same thing can be done by using httpget instead of ping.

    Question 1: how come nonamed 'feels' the SIGINT sent to ping or httpget
    using CTRL-C? Is that the way it should be?

    Question 2: I put a 'break' statement in line 1993 of nonamed.c. That
    way nonamed doesn't quit. But I don't really know what I'm doing here.
    Is this the right way to prevent nonamed from quitting?

    The quitting of nonamed was very silent; it took a while before I
    discovered it had happened.

    Cim.

  2. Re: nonamed and SIGINT

    On 2006-05-27 19:51:43 +0200, Cim Martens said:
    > press CTRL-C. Ping stops (expected). But (not expected) also nonamed quits.

    Addition, sorry: the deamon was started using 'nonamed -L &' from the
    shell. If I make nonamed start during boot in /etc/rc.net, it keeps
    running when ping quits this way.

    Then if I kill the deamon by hand and after that I run 'sh
    /etc/rc.net', the deamon is started again and killing ping again also
    kills the deamon.

    I'd like somebody to tell me: am I right not expecting a deamon to quit
    this way? Even when it was deamonized from the shell prompt or by hand
    from a script? I'd like to understand.

    Thanks for reading anyway,
    Cim.

+ Reply to Thread