Trying to port Hibachi/2.13 ... - Minix

This is a discussion on Trying to port Hibachi/2.13 ... - Minix ; In an effort to try out Minix, I thought I'd try my Hibachi web server http://hibachi.snert.org:8008/ version 2.13 (not yet available) on the box. Nice exercise for the machine and it adds to the collection of software available. I made ...

  1. Trying to port Hibachi/2.13 ...

    In an effort to try out Minix, I thought I'd try my Hibachi web server
    http://hibachi.snert.org:8008/ version 2.13 (not yet available) on the
    box. Nice exercise for the machine and it adds to the collection of
    software available.

    I made the necessary changes to my code to support a process fork model
    when POSIX threads is not available. Tested it on OpenBSD first to be
    sure of my changes, then prepared a .tar.gz

    Well as previously reported, scp and sftp refuse to work in/out of the
    Minix machine. I solved this using wget (lynx wouldn't handle the size
    of the file .tar file uncompressed).

    As previously reported, gzip doesn't work with what appears to be newer
    ..gz files, but it does with .Z. So that was solved for the time being.

    Now I've unpack the stuff and I'm trying to run

    ./configure

    Bzzzt. Game over. Thanks for playing. Out of memory errors due I suppose
    to the default shell, ash, which doesn't appear to be Bourne shell
    compatible either.

    Fine. I try instead:

    ksh ./configure

    This gets much further along, but it too eventually fails, because of
    memory, though I have no idea whether it was the ksh, default sh, or
    default compiler (I haven't even tried to get gcc into mix yet).

    Rather than beat my head further against immovable vertical surfaces, I
    was hoping if anyone care to share their tips, tricks, suggestions, etc.
    I should be aware concerning the porting environment under Minix.

    --
    Anthony C Howe Skype: SirWumpus SnertSoft
    +33 6 11 89 73 78 AIM: SirWumpus Sendmail Milter Solutions

  2. Re: Trying to port Hibachi/2.13 ...

    Hi Anthony! First thing I do while trying to port and I get an error with
    the configure script is to turn on debugging withing the configure script.
    On the first line, usually starting with #!/bin/sh or something similar, I
    add "-xv". This will turn on line by line output. It should lead you
    closer to where it is failing. Just make sure to turn it back off again
    before you upload it for beta/acceptance. I have noticed that if configure
    assumes bash as the default shell, it will fail. There is something wrong
    with the bash port. Simply rename your bash to something like bash.bad and
    retry your configure. Also, for most larger ports, the chmem size for
    /bin/sh is usually too small. (This probably goes for other shells as
    well.) I should have upped the chmem setting for ksh when I ported it, but
    it was my first port and I didn't add it in. Some of my later ports do up
    the size. Hopefully this will save your head a bit of pain. : ) If you
    hit another wall, feel free to ask more questions or send me the package zip
    file and I will see if I can help you past this hurdle. You can also e-mail
    me. It is good to see more interest in porting software!

    The Grue - James T. Sprinkle

    "Anthony Howe" wrote in message
    > In an effort to try out Minix, I thought I'd try my Hibachi web server
    > http://hibachi.snert.org:8008/ version 2.13 (not yet available) on the
    > box. Nice exercise for the machine and it adds to the collection of
    > software available.
    >
    > I made the necessary changes to my code to support a process fork model
    > when POSIX threads is not available. Tested it on OpenBSD first to be
    > sure of my changes, then prepared a .tar.gz
    >
    > Well as previously reported, scp and sftp refuse to work in/out of the
    > Minix machine. I solved this using wget (lynx wouldn't handle the size
    > of the file .tar file uncompressed).
    >
    > As previously reported, gzip doesn't work with what appears to be newer
    > .gz files, but it does with .Z. So that was solved for the time being.
    >
    > Now I've unpack the stuff and I'm trying to run
    >
    > ./configure
    >
    > Bzzzt. Game over. Thanks for playing. Out of memory errors due I suppose
    > to the default shell, ash, which doesn't appear to be Bourne shell
    > compatible either.
    >
    > Fine. I try instead:
    >
    > ksh ./configure
    >
    > This gets much further along, but it too eventually fails, because of
    > memory, though I have no idea whether it was the ksh, default sh, or
    > default compiler (I haven't even tried to get gcc into mix yet).
    >
    > Rather than beat my head further against immovable vertical surfaces, I
    > was hoping if anyone care to share their tips, tricks, suggestions, etc.
    > I should be aware concerning the porting environment under Minix.
    >
    > --
    > Anthony C Howe Skype: SirWumpus SnertSoft
    > +33 6 11 89 73 78 AIM: SirWumpus Sendmail Milter Solutions
    > http://www.snert.com/ ICQ: 7116561 http://www.snertsoft.com/

  3. Re: Trying to port Hibachi/2.13 ...

    The Grue - James T. Sprinkle wrote:
    > Hi Anthony! First thing I do while trying to port and I get an error with
    > the configure script is to turn on debugging withing the configure script.
    > On the first line, usually starting with #!/bin/sh or something similar, I
    > add "-xv". This will turn on line by line output. It should lead you

    OK. Should have considered that.

    > closer to where it is failing. Just make sure to turn it back off again
    > before you upload it for beta/acceptance. I have noticed that if configure

    I probably won't supply a binary package to anyone, given my software
    license and my views about supporting N different packaging schemes,
    where N>1. Just want to make sure it builds though.

    > assumes bash as the default shell, it will fail. There is something wrong
    > with the bash port. Simply rename your bash to something like bash.bad and

    Well Hibachi's configure script was written by me and I know it builds
    on a variety of systems like Windows w/ Cygwin, Linux, *BSD, Solaris, so
    I know its NOT bash dependent, but it DOES assume a POSIX.2 compliant
    shell, which ash(1) as far as I can tell it not. The first thing I did
    was replace /bin/sh aka ash with ksh, but that broke the boot sequence
    so either ash is not bourne or the startup scripts rely on ash-isms.

    A ksh(1) should be and a ksh is Korn over Bourne.

    The GNU Autoconf documentation states to write for a Bourne shell as its
    the lowest common denominator for most *nix. It even goes as far to say
    do NOT assume "[" links to test(1).

    > retry your configure. Also, for most larger ports, the chmem size for
    > /bin/sh is usually too small. (This probably goes for other shells as

    What recommended size should /bin/sh be?

    > well.) I should have upped the chmem setting for ksh when I ported it, but
    > it was my first port and I didn't add it in. Some of my later ports do up

    Likewise, recommended size for ksh?

    > the size. Hopefully this will save your head a bit of pain. : ) If you
    > hit another wall, feel free to ask more questions or send me the package zip
    > file and I will see if I can help you past this hurdle. You can also e-mail
    > me. It is good to see more interest in porting software!

    Well with all the hype recently I thought I'd see what it was like.
    Minix appears zippy on the surface using the old 133 MHz box I have, but
    has too many limits (both the old box and Minix). I like small lean base
    OS, which is one reason I run OpenBSD typically over Linux or FreeBSD,
    which are drifting to bloat. The other being security and FS layout of
    OpenBSD.

    Anyway. Trying to port one of my simpler programs though is proving an
    adventure full of many twisty little passages that look the same.

    --
    Anthony C Howe Skype: SirWumpus SnertSoft
    +33 6 11 89 73 78 AIM: SirWumpus Sendmail Milter Solutions
    http://www.snert.com/ ICQ: 7116561 http://www.snertsoft.com/

  4. Re: Trying to port Hibachi/2.13 ...

    > The Grue - James T. Sprinkle wrote:
    > > Hi Anthony! First thing I do while trying to port and I get an error

    with
    > > the configure script is to turn on debugging withing the configure

    script.
    > > On the first line, usually starting with #!/bin/sh or something similar,

    > > add "-xv". This will turn on line by line output. It should lead you

    > OK. Should have considered that.
    >
    > > closer to where it is failing. Just make sure to turn it back off again
    > > before you upload it for beta/acceptance. I have noticed that if

    configure

    > I probably won't supply a binary package to anyone, given my software
    > license and my views about supporting N different packaging schemes,
    > where N>1. Just want to make sure it builds though.

    Well, you would have to submit it in source form anyway. I don't think they
    are taking prebuilt binary packages. Someone at minix3.org please correct
    me if I am wrong here.

    > > assumes bash as the default shell, it will fail. There is something

    wrong
    > > with the bash port. Simply rename your bash to something like bash.bad

    and

    > Well Hibachi's configure script was written by me and I know it builds
    > on a variety of systems like Windows w/ Cygwin, Linux, *BSD, Solaris, so
    > I know its NOT bash dependent, but it DOES assume a POSIX.2 compliant
    > shell, which ash(1) as far as I can tell it not. The first thing I did
    > was replace /bin/sh aka ash with ksh, but that broke the boot sequence
    > so either ash is not bourne or the startup scripts rely on ash-isms.
    >
    > A ksh(1) should be and a ksh is Korn over Bourne.
    >
    > The GNU Autoconf documentation states to write for a Bourne shell as its
    > the lowest common denominator for most *nix. It even goes as far to say
    > do NOT assume "[" links to test(1).
    >
    > > retry your configure. Also, for most larger ports, the chmem size for
    > > /bin/sh is usually too small. (This probably goes for other shells as

    > What recommended size should /bin/sh be?

    I usually set mine for about chmem =1048576 and go larger if I get out of
    memory errors. It will be a very good day when VM is available. : )

    > > well.) I should have upped the chmem setting for ksh when I ported it,

    but
    > > it was my first port and I didn't add it in. Some of my later ports do

    up

    > Likewise, recommended size for ksh?

    Same here.

    > > the size. Hopefully this will save your head a bit of pain. : ) If

    you
    > > hit another wall, feel free to ask more questions or send me the package

    zip
    > > file and I will see if I can help you past this hurdle. You can also

    e-mail
    > > me. It is good to see more interest in porting software!

    > Well with all the hype recently I thought I'd see what it was like.
    > Minix appears zippy on the surface using the old 133 MHz box I have, but
    > has too many limits (both the old box and Minix). I like small lean base
    > OS, which is one reason I run OpenBSD typically over Linux or FreeBSD,
    > which are drifting to bloat. The other being security and FS layout of
    > OpenBSD.

    I have minix running on several different machines. Slowest is a 233MHz
    machine with 2 x 2G drives and 512M RAM. Well, actually it is slower to run
    it in Bochs on my RS/6000 running AIX, but that is a different story
    altogether. : ) I usually do dev in VMWare with a 512M partition and test
    in ones with smaller memory as well as some other real hardware I have at
    home. I like that it is fast and I have been able to port several packages.
    In fact, I was excited to get SIMH to port over to minix because it runs so
    much faster than on Linux and AIX. I just hope to get a port of libpcap
    done to support networking. : )

    > Anyway. Trying to port one of my simpler programs though is proving an
    > adventure full of many twisty little passages that look the same.

    Yes, and there are many of us Grues hiding in dark corners. : )

    The Grue

    > --
    > Anthony C Howe Skype: SirWumpus SnertSoft
    > +33 6 11 89 73 78 AIM: SirWumpus Sendmail Milter Solutions
    > http://www.snert.com/ ICQ: 7116561 http://www.snertsoft.com/

+ Reply to Thread