Minix on MacTel - Minix

This is a discussion on Minix on MacTel - Minix ; I have Minix running on a 20-inch iMac Core Duo. The install went flawlessly. I am using a Parallels Workstation Beta3 VM to host MInix. I thought some people might like to know. Take care....

  1. Minix on MacTel

    I have Minix running on a 20-inch iMac Core Duo. The install went
    flawlessly. I am using a Parallels Workstation Beta3 VM to host MInix.

    I thought some people might like to know.

    Take care.

  2. Re: Minix on MacTel

    I try to install Minix B3 on Paralles for Windows and simply donīt
    start.

    Toudi wrote:
    > I have Minix running on a 20-inch iMac Core Duo. The install went
    > flawlessly. I am using a Parallels Workstation Beta3 VM to host MInix.
    >
    > I thought some people might like to know.
    >
    > Take care.

  3. Re: Minix on MacTel

    I am surprised to hear that. I thought that Parallels Workstation was
    more mature on Windows than on Mac OS X. Maybe it is your hardware that
    the VM does not like?

  4. Re: Minix on MacTel (having problems - help appreciated)

    Toudi wrote:
    > I am surprised to hear that. I thought that Parallels Workstation was
    > more mature on Windows than on Mac OS X. Maybe it is your hardware that
    > the VM does not like?

    I'm using the current release candidate to run Windows XP, Linux and now
    Minix under OS X on a MacIntel.

    Out of interest, did you get the network and xdm to work? Although I
    could run all of the Minix tests OK and recompile the system (by
    following the instructions in the install guide), I'm having problems
    with networking and X which I have detailed below.

    Under Parallels, I'm using a Guest OS Type of "Other" and OS Version of
    "Other". I have setup a virtual machine with 128MB of memory, an 8GB
    hard disk and a Network Adapter setting of "Bridged Ethernet"

    NETWORK PROBLEM

    Parallels emulates the Realtek 8029(AS) adapter, so I chose the 8029
    option when I ran "setup". However during bootup I see the following error:

    Starting services: random dp8390 inetosdep_eth_init: no ethernet device
    at task=35587,port=0
    eth_set_rec_conf: waiting for device to appear (note: system pauses
    during boot process at this point)
    eth_ioctl: suspending NWIOGETHSTAT ioctl

    ....and then later on in the boot process...

    eth_ioctl: suspending NWIOGETHSTAT ioctl
    eth_set_rec_conf: waiting for device to appear
    Alarm call
    Unable to obtain an IP address

    XDM PROBLEM

    After installing everything using packman, I tried to start xdm, as
    described in the getting started guide.

    Unfortunately, xdm seems to make 3 attempts at starting X before giving
    up. I tried running "xdm -debug 1" which produces a lot of output (I've
    redirected this into a file, but since networking is not working yet, I
    have no way of getting it out of the virtual machine).

    Some of the debug info is produced on stderr:

    xdm error (pid 130): Hung in XOpenDisplay(:0), aborting
    xdm error (pid 130): server open failed for :0, giving up
    xdm error (pid 126): Display :0 cannot be opened
    xdm error (pid 132): hung in XOpendisplay(:0), aborting
    xdm error (pid 132): server open failed for :0, giving up
    xdm error (pid 126): Display :0 cannot be opened
    xdm error (pid 126): Display :0 cannot be opened
    xdm error (pid 126): Display :0 is being disabled

    Here are the last few lines of the stdout (which I redirected int a
    file, but typed in manually here):

    DisplayMananger._0.chooser/DisplayManager._0.Chooser value
    /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm chooser
    Before XOpenDisplay(:0)
    pid: 136
    WaitForSomething
    signals blocked
    WaitForSomething
    signals blocked
    hung in open, aborting
    giving up on server
    Manager wait returns pid: 136 sig 0 core 0 code 4
    display exited with OPENFAILED_DISPLAY, try 3 of 4
    Manager wait returns pid: 135 sig 15 core 0 code 0
    Zombie server reaped, removing display :0
    Nothing left to do, exiting

    When I first got into Linux, I seem to remember spending a lot of time
    hacking /etc/XF86Config, trying to get it to work with my Matrox
    Mystique (ah thems was the days!). Isn't this required under Minix?

    I've been using the Device Manager under Windows XP to try and find out
    a bit more about the hardware which Parallels Desktop emulates.

    The network adapter shows up as "Parallels Network Adapter", using an
    I/O Range of 1080-109F and an IRQ of 10.

    As a more general question - is Andrew Tanenbaum's book on Minix useful
    for people who are trying to get up to speed with using Minix, rather
    than understanding how it works internally or modifying it/contributing
    to it?

    Sorry for the long post!

    best regards,

    Andrew

  5. Re: Minix on MacTel (having problems - help appreciated)

    In article <4476dc93$0$565$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net>,
    Andrew Ebling wrote:
    >Parallels emulates the Realtek 8029(AS) adapter, so I chose the 8029
    >option when I ran "setup". However during bootup I see the following error:
    >
    >Starting services: random dp8390 inetosdep_eth_init: no ethernet device
    >at task=35587,port=0
    >eth_set_rec_conf: waiting for device to appear (note: system pauses
    >during boot process at this point)
    >eth_ioctl: suspending NWIOGETHSTAT ioctl
    >
    >...and then later on in the boot process...
    >
    >eth_ioctl: suspending NWIOGETHSTAT ioctl
    >eth_set_rec_conf: waiting for device to appear
    >Alarm call
    >Unable to obtain an IP address

    Somehow, the dp8390 driver did not detect the ethernet card. Set
    'pci_debug=1' in the boot monitor and verify that the rtl8029 shows up.

    >XDM PROBLEM
    >
    >After installing everything using packman, I tried to start xdm, as
    >described in the getting started guide.

    X is not going to work if the primary ip interface (/dev/ip) doesn't have
    an IP address.

    >When I first got into Linux, I seem to remember spending a lot of time
    >hacking /etc/XF86Config, trying to get it to work with my Matrox
    >Mystique (ah thems was the days!). Isn't this required under Minix?

    The auto configuration code seems to be quite good these days. (For course,
    most of the time, the defaults are not optimal).

  6. Re: Minix on MacTel (having problems - help appreciated)

    Philip Homburg wrote:
    > In article <4476dc93$0$565$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net>,
    > Andrew Ebling wrote:
    >> Parallels emulates the Realtek 8029(AS) adapter, so I chose the 8029
    >> option when I ran "setup". However during bootup I see the following error:
    >>
    >> Starting services: random dp8390 inetosdep_eth_init: no ethernet device
    >> at task=35587,port=0
    >> eth_set_rec_conf: waiting for device to appear (note: system pauses
    >> during boot process at this point)
    >> eth_ioctl: suspending NWIOGETHSTAT ioctl
    >>
    >> ...and then later on in the boot process...
    >>
    >> eth_ioctl: suspending NWIOGETHSTAT ioctl
    >> eth_set_rec_conf: waiting for device to appear
    >> Alarm call
    >> Unable to obtain an IP address

    > Somehow, the dp8390 driver did not detect the ethernet card. Set
    > 'pci_debug=1' in the boot monitor and verify that the rtl8029 shows up.

    Many thanks for your help Philip.

    So I'm pressing ESC when the system first comes up, then typing at the
    boot monitor prompt:

    pci_debug=1

    then I type:

    set

    and I can see pci_debug = 1 at the bottom of the list.

    So I then type:

    boot p0d0s0

    But everything seems the same as before - no extra output on the console
    and no extra logs (not in /var/log/ anyway).

    Please forgive my ignorance - I've been wading through man pages (boot
    and monitor) for a while and I think I'm doing it right, but it doesn't
    seem to be working.

    >> XDM PROBLEM
    >>
    >> After installing everything using packman, I tried to start xdm, as
    >> described in the getting started guide.

    > X is not going to work if the primary ip interface (/dev/ip) doesn't have
    > an IP address.

    Ah - that would explain it then

    >> When I first got into Linux, I seem to remember spending a lot of time
    >> hacking /etc/XF86Config, trying to get it to work with my Matrox
    >> Mystique (ah thems was the days!). Isn't this required under Minix?

    > The auto configuration code seems to be quite good these days. (For course,
    > most of the time, the defaults are not optimal).

    That's good to hear.

    Thanks again for your help.

    best regards,

    Andrew

  7. Re: Minix on MacTel (having problems - help appreciated)

    In article <44775e57$0$540$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net>,
    Andrew Ebling wrote:
    >So I'm pressing ESC when the system first comes up, then typing at the
    >boot monitor prompt:
    >
    >pci_debug=1
    >
    >then I type:
    >
    >set
    >
    >and I can see pci_debug = 1 at the bottom of the list.
    >
    >So I then type:
    >
    >boot p0d0s0
    >
    >But everything seems the same as before - no extra output on the console
    >and no extra logs (not in /var/log/ anyway).

    There is a big difference between 'boot d0p0s0' and just 'boot'. Just 'boot'
    is what you need. 'boot d0p0s0' reloads the boot monitor from disk, which
    wipes out any unsaved environment settings.

  8. Re: Minix on MacTel (having problems - help appreciated)

    Philip Homburg wrote:
    > In article <44775e57$0$540$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net>,
    > Andrew Ebling wrote:
    >> So I'm pressing ESC when the system first comes up, then typing at the
    >> boot monitor prompt:
    >>
    >> pci_debug=1
    >>
    >> then I type:
    >>
    >> set
    >>
    >> and I can see pci_debug = 1 at the bottom of the list.
    >>
    >> So I then type:
    >>
    >> boot p0d0s0
    >>
    >> But everything seems the same as before - no extra output on the console
    >> and no extra logs (not in /var/log/ anyway).

    > There is a big difference between 'boot d0p0s0' and just 'boot'. Just 'boot'
    > is what you need. 'boot d0p0s0' reloads the boot monitor from disk, which
    > wipes out any unsaved environment settings.

    Hmm... I'm still not seeing any additional debug information Any ideas?

    thanks,

    Andy

+ Reply to Thread