Desktop minix - Minix

This is a discussion on Desktop minix - Minix ; Hello. Is it possible to use minix to run applications like fluxbox? Is minix ready to handle desktop functions? Thanks...

  1. Desktop minix

    Hello.
    Is it possible to use minix to run applications like fluxbox? Is minix
    ready to handle desktop functions?
    Thanks

  2. Re: Desktop minix

    In article <09oag3-cpv.ln1@don.localnet>,
    Bill Marcum wrote:
    >On 4 Apr 2006 10:29:10 -0700, fluxy
    > wrote:
    >> Hello.
    >> Is it possible to use minix to run applications like fluxbox? Is minix
    >> ready to handle desktop functions?
    >> Thanks
    >>

    >You haven't seen the recent posts in this newsgroup? Kinda hard to run
    >(or spell) fluxbox without X.
    >I think minix-vmd can run an old version of XFree86.

    Well, the 3.1.2 beta does have X.

  3. Re: Desktop minix

    Philip Homburg wrote:
    > In article <09oag3-cpv.ln1@don.localnet>,
    > Bill Marcum wrote:
    >
    >>On 4 Apr 2006 10:29:10 -0700, fluxy
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello.
    >>>Is it possible to use minix to run applications like fluxbox? Is minix
    >>>ready to handle desktop functions?
    >>>Thanks
    >>>

    >>You haven't seen the recent posts in this newsgroup? Kinda hard to run
    >>(or spell) fluxbox without X.
    >>I think minix-vmd can run an old version of XFree86.

    > Well, the 3.1.2 beta does have X.

    you still need to rewrite Fluxbox in C cause it;'s C++, and we don't
    even have a libstdc++ or g++ yet.

  4. Re: Desktop minix

    when is the libstdc++ and g++ expected?
    which approach will minix use when managing software? will it use a
    package manager? if yes, which one?

    There is a linux distribution, gobolinux.org, which uses a wholly new
    way to manage software. It doesn't use any database-based package
    manager, rather it breaks the traditional unix tree to implement one of
    its own which makes managing software easier hence there is no need for
    a database-base package manager.

    In my humble opinion, I think this would be the best way for minix to
    head, specially since it aims at end-user use, and since minix itself
    is still being built, it might be easier to implement.

    Do check it out. Thanks

  5. Re: Desktop minix

    In article <1144217899.283928.327320@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups. com>,
    fluxy wrote:
    >when is the libstdc++ and g++ expected?

    I don't know.

    The 'who is doing what' page on minix3.org has Joren l'Ami for porting g++.

    >which approach will minix use when managing software? will it use a
    >package manager? if yes, which one?

    At the moment there are two rather simplistic package managers.

    >There is a linux distribution, gobolinux.org, which uses a wholly new
    >way to manage software. It doesn't use any database-based package
    >manager, rather it breaks the traditional unix tree to implement one of
    >its own which makes managing software easier hence there is no need for
    >a database-base package manager.

    Well, if anybody wants to work on package managers then go for it
    For example by converting an interesting set of current packages into a
    new format to demonstrate how it works.

  6. Package management (Was: Re: Desktop minix)

    fluxy wrote:
    > There is a linux distribution, gobolinux.org, which uses a wholly new
    > way to manage software. It doesn't use any database-based package
    > manager, rather it breaks the traditional unix tree to implement one of
    > its own which makes managing software easier hence there is no need for
    > a database-base package manager.

    If you want to look at different ways of software
    deployment, I suggest taking a look at the Nix [1]
    system.

    It's being developed 'not far from here' and I
    think it would be interesting to see a port for
    Minix.

    [1] http://www.cs.uu.nl/wiki/Trace/Nix

    --
    Martijn Vermaat