Minix 2.0 can't load floppy image in VMWare server - Minix

This is a discussion on Minix 2.0 can't load floppy image in VMWare server - Minix ; Hi folks, I was really exhuasted by this annoying problem. Hope I can get some help here. Here is the scenario, VMware server: free from VMware Minix 2.0: from the book cdrom It looks Minix just can't load floppy image ...

  1. Minix 2.0 can't load floppy image in VMWare server

    Hi folks,

    I was really exhuasted by this annoying problem. Hope I can get some
    help here.
    Here is the scenario,

    VMware server: free from VMware
    Minix 2.0: from the book cdrom

    It looks Minix just can't load floppy image which is lesst thatn 1.44M.
    I was trying to install SYS.TAZ. I split it into two floppy images the
    following way in Linux,

    $ dd if=SYS.TAZ of=SYS-01.img bs=1440k count=1 skip=0
    $ dd if=SYS.TAZ of=SYS-02.img bs=1440k count=1 skip=1

    The SYS-02.img is less than 1.44 M.

    Then I try to copy these two files into minix. I load SYS-01.img and
    copy it successuflly
    by: dd if=/dev/fd0 of=SYS-01.img

    However when do the same with SYS-01.img, Minix always says "dd:
    cannot open /dev/fd0"

    I guess VMware have problem dealing with floppy image whose size is
    less than 1.44M.
    When I try to load USR, I had the same problem. I had to write USR to
    the physical floppy drive to work around it. However, with SYS-02.img,
    even writing to physical floppy drive didn't work.

    Any clue? thanks

    James

  2. Re: Minix 2.0 can't load floppy image in VMWare server

    It doesn't help. Since the input is less than 1.44M, the output would
    be less than 1.44M even we use conv=notrunc.

    Bill Marcum wrote:
    > If the file size is the problem, try this:
    > dd if=/dev/zero of=SYS-02.img bs=1440k count=1
    > dd if=SYS.TAZ of=SYS-02.img bs=1440k count=1 skip=1 conv=notrunc
    >

    > --
    > Keep this and all chemicals out of the reach of children.

  3. Re: Minix 2.0 can't load floppy image in VMWare server

    Sadpumpkin wrote:
    > It doesn't help. Since the input is less than 1.44M, the output would
    > be less than 1.44M even we use conv=notrunc.
    >
    > Bill Marcum wrote:
    >
    >>If the file size is the problem, try this:
    >>dd if=/dev/zero of=SYS-02.img bs=1440k count=1
    >>dd if=SYS.TAZ of=SYS-02.img bs=1440k count=1 skip=1 conv=notrunc
    >>

    >>--
    >>Keep this and all chemicals out of the reach of children.

    The less than 1.44MB image works, trust me, and try using Minix 3.

+ Reply to Thread