Config minix3.1.1 network on Bochs2.2.6 - Minix

This is a discussion on Config minix3.1.1 network on Bochs2.2.6 - Minix ; Hi all: I'm install a minix3.1.1 on the Bochs2.2.6 under my host system (win2k sp4). Before boot, I'm add lines in the config file of Bochs: # network ne2k: ioaddr=0x300, irq=3, mac=b0:c4:20:00:00:00, ethmod=win32, ethdev=\Device\NPF_{8ED593AA-816C-412D-AAD3-CD44F1660453} which parameter is provided by niclist.exe(Bochs's ...

  1. Config minix3.1.1 network on Bochs2.2.6

    Hi all:
    I'm install a minix3.1.1 on the Bochs2.2.6 under
    my host system (win2k sp4). Before boot, I'm
    add lines in the config file of Bochs:

    # network
    ne2k: ioaddr=0x300, irq=3, mac=b0:c4:20:00:00:00, ethmod=win32,
    ethdev=\Device\NPF_{8ED593AA-816C-412D-AAD3-CD44F1660453}

    which parameter is provided by niclist.exe(Bochs's utility),
    with it , the DLX Linux can find the net card correctly, and
    Minix2.0.4 (download image of Bochs from Bochs website)is right yet.
    when setup minix3.1.1, I select the type of net card is 5(NE2000),
    then finish the install, after this when I into the monitor
    mode, I set: DPETH0=300:3 SERVICES=inet , but when booting
    , also display:
    Starting services: random dp8390 inetunable to read random data from
    /dev/random
    : Resource temporarily unavailable

    using current time for random-number seed

    dp8390#0: No ethernet card found at 0x240

    osdep_eth_init: no ethernet device at task=16,port=0
    why it found the ehternet card at 0x240 ?(this is the default,
    but I have specify !)

    So I edit /usr/etc/rc.local from "240:9" to "300:3" then reboot,
    but it display:
    =====================================
    Starting services: random dp8390 inetunable to read random data from
    /dev/random
    : Resource temporarily unavailable

    using current time for random-number seed

    dp8390#0: NE2000 at 300:3

    printer.

    Starting daemons: update usyslogd
    =====================================
    then system is hang !
    So I add a file /etc/rc.net in that file have lines:
    ###############
    ifconfig -h 192.168.0.111 -n 255.255.255.0
    add_route -g 192.168.0.1 -m 25
    daemonize nonamed
    ###############
    then reboot,display:
    ========================
    dp8390#0: NE2000 at 300:3

    printer.

    Starting daemons: update usyslogd cron.

    nonamed/dev/rescue is read-write mounted on /boot/rescue
    ========================
    reboot it , hang !!, power off,
    repeat power on , hang !!!

    What's wrong ??

    Please teach me !

    wzh823@tom.com

  2. Re: Config minix3.1.1 network on Bochs2.2.6

    wzh823@tom.com wrote:
    > Please teach me !

    Teach you what, how to speak English?

    > wzh823@tom.com

  3. Re: Config minix3.1.1 network on Bochs2.2.6

    > Teach you what, how to speak English?

    Oh my. It's Anti-Segin day obviously.

    Since I'm already at it I can as well go on. So: Astonishingly I've
    absolut no problem to understand the OP. (I cannot solve his
    problem but I understand exactly what symptoms he is talking
    about). Interestingly he is using a form of english which is very
    similar to the so called "creol languages" (this are the 2nd generation
    development of closed communities which start of on a common
    piging language). The interesting thing is, that independently
    developed
    creol languages seem to share a number of characteristics that
    stem from "hardcoded" features of the human language centers in
    the brain. In example

    - there is a continous form which often is identical with the
    futures tense and fromed with "be" as auxiliary:
    Like: "I be eat a snake" -> "I'm eating a snake"
    or "I will eat a snake".

    - there is only 1 past tense which is formed with "have". Like: "I
    have eat
    a snake" -> "I ate a snake".

    I observe the very same patterns of language simplification at the
    OP's post and congratulate him/her on a good effort to try to make
    him/herself understandable in a very foreign language. Keep it up. :-)

    I take it that you don't speak any foreign language, don't you, Segin?
    Perhaps you're hust badly equipped for an international, not to say a
    global world if grammatical derivation from American english confuse
    you
    to the point of not understanding. Repent :-).

    Kindly -- Tom Bombadil

  4. Re: Config minix3.1.1 network on Bochs2.2.6

    All,

    > Starting services: random dp8390 inetunable to read random data from
    > /dev/random
    >: Resource temporarily unavailable
    >
    > using current time for random-number seed
    >
    > dp8390#0: NE2000 at 300:3
    >
    > printer.

    This indicates the driver found the card, so that's good.

    I think the only problem is that minix is waiting for dhcp
    which isn't working on your network.

    If I try running minix on bochs on my freebsd machine with
    this ne2k configuration:
    ne2k: ioaddr=0x240, irq=9, mac=b0:c4:20:00:00:00, ethmod=fbsd, ethdev=rl0

    and the then-default inet.conf:
    eth0 dp8390 0 { default; };

    and the following default driver config in /usr/etc/rc.local:
    dp8390_arg='DPETH0=240:9'

    the card is seen, just like in your case, but nothing works
    because of no dhcp (in my case).

    If I configure an ip address using
    # ifconfig -h -n 255.255.255.0
    (I suggest doing it manually the first time around)
    I can ping nodes on the local LAN from bochs, so that works too.

    I'm not sure what is happening when you describe the hang.

    It takes 30 seconds for minix to continue if no dhcp reply is
    forthcoming. Maybe that is the only problem?

    =Ben

  5. Re: Config minix3.1.1 network on Bochs2.2.6

    Ben Gras, thank your answer!
    I'm sure the Minix3.1.1 is hang(dead?) when
    it is finding dhcp server, I waiting it for 3 minutes.
    Then I looked /etc/rc , in that file (lines 123-146)
    have described when no exist(default) /etc/rc.net system
    performe : "Standard network daemons." .
    So, I edit the /etc/rc.net (just del the "daemonize dhcp"):
    #########
    ifconfig -h 192.168.0.111 -n 255.255.255.0
    daemonize nonamed
    #########
    then it can login with root and it can ping
    itself (if no "daemonize nonamed" system hang yet).
    When I ping my host system(I'm not on then LAN,
    local link isn't used), the Minix dead! But I
    find the of Bochs's console window display:
    [ETH-WIN32] Error sending packet: 31
    Then I test recover the "daemonize dhcp", also
    find the error message.
    Is it possible that can't used local network
    make for the system dead?
    Is Minix3 high-reliable micro-kernel OS ?

    Sorry , my english is very poor.
    Thank your for all !

    wzh823@tom.com

  6. Re: Config minix3.1.1 network on Bochs2.2.6

[...]

+ Reply to Thread