Re: Nasm for Minix 3 - Minix

This is a discussion on Re: Nasm for Minix 3 - Minix ; We can alway try to port tcc ( http://www.tinycc.org/ ) to Minix 3 -- it's basically a micro-gcc for Linux (it has a built in compiler/linker/assember/preprocessor/gnu-ld-script-preprocessor/etc. all in one binary) This compiler would take us by leaps and bounds as ...

  1. Re: Nasm for Minix 3

    We can alway try to port tcc (http://www.tinycc.org/) to Minix 3 -- it's
    basically a micro-gcc for Linux (it has a built in
    compiler/linker/assember/preprocessor/gnu-ld-script-preprocessor/etc.
    all in one binary)

    This compiler would take us by leaps and bounds as we would have a
    better way (and experience) at tackling other porting problems.

  2. Re: Nasm for Minix 3

    All,

    On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 08:09:40 GMT, Segin wrote:
    > We can alway try to port tcc (http://www.tinycc.org/) to Minix 3 -- it's
    > basically a micro-gcc for Linux (it has a built in
    > compiler/linker/assember/preprocessor/gnu-ld-script-preprocessor/etc.
    > all in one binary)
    >
    > This compiler would take us by leaps and bounds as we would have a
    > better way (and experience) at tackling other porting problems.

    There is a gcc port for minix, so what would tcc add?

    Also, in my experience so far with porting, gcc doesn't add a whole lot
    to portability compared to ack.

    =Ben

  3. Re: Nasm for Minix 3

    Ben Gras wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 08:09:40 GMT, Segin wrote:
    >
    >>We can alway try to port tcc (http://www.tinycc.org/) to Minix 3 -- it's
    >>basically a micro-gcc for Linux (it has a built in
    >>compiler/linker/assember/preprocessor/gnu-ld-script-preprocessor/etc.
    >>all in one binary)
    >>
    >>This compiler would take us by leaps and bounds as we would have a
    >>better way (and experience) at tackling other porting problems.

    > There is a gcc port for minix, so what would tcc add?
    >
    > Also, in my experience so far with porting, gcc doesn't add a whole lot
    > to portability compared to ack.
    >
    > =Ben

    Well, you'd have a nice, fast compiler that doesn't take a mellinia to
    compile helloworld.c

  4. Re: Nasm for Minix 3

    Ben Gras wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 08:09:40 GMT, Segin wrote:
    >
    >>We can alway try to port tcc (http://www.tinycc.org/) to Minix 3 -- it's
    >>basically a micro-gcc for Linux (it has a built in
    >>compiler/linker/assember/preprocessor/gnu-ld-script-preprocessor/etc.
    >>all in one binary)
    >>
    >>This compiler would take us by leaps and bounds as we would have a
    >>better way (and experience) at tackling other porting problems.

    > There is a gcc port for minix, so what would tcc add?
    >
    > Also, in my experience so far with porting, gcc doesn't add a whole lot
    > to portability compared to ack.

    I wasn't talking bout code portability as much as porting code, e.g.
    we'd know how xyz mush be handled to port program foo to minix 3.

    Who cares if the code doesn't run on anything else?

    > =Ben

+ Reply to Thread