Panic in pci: mem_top too low - Minix

This is a discussion on Panic in pci: mem_top too low - Minix ; Hi, I'm trying to boot the 3.1.2B2 CD on a Compaq Deskpro EN SFF P500/810e, but get these errors printed repeatedly in a 30 second interval: PCI: video memory for device at 1.0.0: 16777216 bytes Panic in pci: mem_top too ...

  1. Panic in pci: mem_top too low

    Hi,

    I'm trying to boot the 3.1.2B2 CD on a Compaq Deskpro EN SFF P500/810e,
    but get these errors printed repeatedly in a 30 second interval:

    PCI: video memory for device at 1.0.0: 16777216 bytes
    Panic in pci: mem_top too low: 1073741824
    SYSTEM, reply to failed: -109
    Panic in pci: pci_init1: _pm_findproc failed for 'pci': -1
    SYSTEM, reply to failed: -109

    The computer is a P3-500 with 128 MB of memory and an ATI Rage3D Pro
    (mach64) AGP video adaptor. Any help or clues would be appreciated -
    I'm eager to try running a micro kernel! :-)

  2. Re: Panic in pci: mem_top too low

    Mark Rosenstand wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to boot the 3.1.2B2 CD on a Compaq Deskpro EN SFF P500/810e,
    > but get these errors printed repeatedly in a 30 second interval:
    >
    > PCI: video memory for device at 1.0.0: 16777216 bytes
    > Panic in pci: mem_top too low: 1073741824
    > SYSTEM, reply to failed: -109
    > Panic in pci: pci_init1: _pm_findproc failed for 'pci': -1
    > SYSTEM, reply to failed: -109
    >
    > The computer is a P3-500 with 128 MB of memory and an ATI Rage3D Pro
    > (mach64) AGP video adaptor. Any help or clues would be appreciated -
    > I'm eager to try running a micro kernel! :-)

    I just have the same error, but in IBM Thinkpad 390 (Pentium MMX 233
    128MB
    and Neomagic 256 video card). Version 3.1.1 works fine.

    In my machine the difference in Panic is
    Panic in pci: mem_top too low: 134217728

    I tried also booting from diskette, and using the small kernel, but I
    had the same errors.

    Regards,
    Claudio.

  3. Re: Panic in pci: mem_top too low

    Thank you for the hint!

    I'll wait for the next beta or release, there are simply too many
    applications missing in 3.1.1 that I fear it will make a bad
    demonstration. Unless of course I'm asked to try it in order to verify
    a suspected bug.

    Did you report it? Shall I? Or shall we both? :-)

  4. Re: Panic in pci: mem_top too low

    Hi,
    I reported the bug to bugs@minix3.org , so I believe that you also can
    report it.
    I saw a mail in the minix-dev list that reports the problem too in
    other notebook (different hardware).

    Today I tested in my normal machine (a PC clone with SIS motherboard)
    and the 3.1.2 CD boot OK.
    Perhaps notebooks have some specials chips that need special code to
    handle the compatibility.
    I have no idea about it, but I remember some problems using the audio
    card in my notebook
    because linux does not autoconfigure correctly, so I needed to force a
    different IRQ.

    Regards,
    Claudio.

+ Reply to Thread