2 questions: the book and sata - Minix

This is a discussion on 2 questions: the book and sata - Minix ; I bought the first edition of Tannenbaum's book several years ago -- it's a good book The new edition is a bit pricey, although larger. Is that primarily because Minix3 listings are larger or is there really a lot of ...

  1. 2 questions: the book and sata

    I bought the first edition of Tannenbaum's book several years ago --
    it's a good book The new edition is a bit pricey, although larger.
    Is that primarily because Minix3 listings are larger or is there really
    a lot of new stuff?

    I can't find the ref now, but I'm sure I read somewhere that you might
    be able to run Minix3 from some SATA drives. My wife and I have
    recently assembled an Intel-based machine and both the hard drive and
    the dvd drive are SATA. I tried to run the just-released beta, but it
    did not work. CD not found along with some other messages. I'm not
    surprised, but I was hoping. Any idea when/if SATA will be supported?
    It's the only x86 machine I have.

    Thanks in advance for your reply.

    regards,
    tony

  2. Re: 2 questions: the book and sata

    All,

    Yes, SATA does work under minix, on my work minix machine I use it
    exclusively. It not working on your machine is most likely due to the
    drive not being identified as a SATA drive. On my home machine, for
    instance, minix sees a 'raid controller' and doesn't want to talk to
    it.

    There is a chance you can fiddle the BIOS SATA settings to make it
    appear as a regular storage device..

    =Ben

  3. Re: 2 questions: the book and sata

    On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 21:03:20 +0000, Ben Gras wrote:

    > All,
    >
    > Yes, SATA does work under minix, on my work minix machine I use it

    Ah! That is good news. I'm busy this weekend, but I'll pursue it in a
    couple of days. Thanks for your help, Ben.

    Regards,
    tony

  4. Re: 2 questions: the book and sata

    Well, I had some time after all, so I tried a few things. I believe I was
    mistaken when I thought it was having problems with SATA. It was having
    some other trouble with my machine. Since I've never used Minix before, I
    also tried 3.1.1, and it had trouble with that too. I have filed a
    report through the bugs pointer on the web-site.

    Thanks again for your response.

    Regards,
    tony

+ Reply to Thread