Minix 3.1.2 beta 2 available - Minix

This is a discussion on Minix 3.1.2 beta 2 available - Minix ; Dear All, There is a beta version of 3.1.2 out, called 3.1.2-B2, available from www.minix3.org . For more information and the download link, please see: http://www.minix3.org/experimental.html Comments and bug reports are most welcome to bugs@minix3.org or this newsgroup. BIOS-driver (for ...

  1. Minix 3.1.2 beta 2 available

    Dear All,

    There is a beta version of 3.1.2 out, called 3.1.2-B2, available
    from www.minix3.org. For more information and the download link,
    please see:
    http://www.minix3.org/experimental.html

    Comments and bug reports are most welcome to bugs@minix3.org or
    this newsgroup.

    BIOS-driver (for USB CD drives and such) and USB stick images
    are forthcoming.

    Enjoy!

    =Ben

  2. Re: Minix 3.1.2 beta 2 available

    Ben Gras wrote:
    > Dear All,
    >
    > There is a beta version of 3.1.2 out, called 3.1.2-B2, available
    > from www.minix3.org. For more information and the download link,
    > please see:
    > http://www.minix3.org/experimental.html
    >
    > Comments and bug reports are most welcome to bugs@minix3.org or
    > this newsgroup.
    >
    > BIOS-driver (for USB CD drives and such) and USB stick images
    > are forthcoming.
    >
    > Enjoy!
    >
    > =Ben

    Is there an "upgrade" option in the installer?

  3. Re: Minix 3.1.2 beta 2 available

    All,

    > Is there an "upgrade" option in the installer?

    Not really. There is the option to leave any existing /home filesystem
    intact and only overwrite / and /usr though. That was the idea of /home
    in the first place.

    If you're feeling adventurous, it should be no problem to copy the new
    sources onto and 'old' system and upgrade like that with a little
    manual labour.

    =Ben

  4. Re: Minix 3.1.2 beta 2 available

    I installed the beta and all binary and source packages.
    How does one configure XFree86 for minix?

  5. Re: Minix 3.1.2 beta 2 available

    All,

    > I installed the beta and all binary and source packages.
    > How does one configure XFree86 for minix?

    To see the default config is ok, e.g. run xdm.
    If it isn't, it's configured like any other X install.

    A good starting point is probably 'X -configure', which writes an
    xorg.conf for you.

    If the config works, place it in e.g. /etc/X11/xorg.conf ..

    =Ben

  6. Re: Minix 3.1.2 beta 2 available

    Ben Gras wrote:
    > Dear All,
    >
    > There is a beta version of 3.1.2 out, called 3.1.2-B2, available
    > from www.minix3.org. For more information and the download link,
    > please see:
    > http://www.minix3.org/experimental.html
    >
    > Comments and bug reports are most welcome to bugs@minix3.org or
    > this newsgroup.
    >
    > BIOS-driver (for USB CD drives and such) and USB stick images
    > are forthcoming.
    >
    > Enjoy!
    >
    > =Ben

    The installation procedure is quite slick, I was impressed with that.
    However, I was wondering how the X11 port had been accomplished without
    hardware MM support. Sure enough, my trusty old pentium notebook which
    has 40 MB RAM installed says ...

    xdm error (pid xxxx): daemon fork failed, Not enough core

    .... and that about explains it.
    How much memory is required to get the Xserver and a window manager up I
    wonder?

    Steve

  7. Re: Minix 3.1.2 beta 2 available

    All,

    > The installation procedure is quite slick, I was impressed with that.

    Good!

    > However, I was wondering how the X11 port had been accomplished without
    > hardware MM support. Sure enough, my trusty old pentium notebook which
    > has 40 MB RAM installed says ...
    >
    > xdm error (pid xxxx): daemon fork failed, Not enough core
    >
    > ... and that about explains it.
    > How much memory is required to get the Xserver and a window manager up I
    > wonder?

    Basic paging is enabled to map video memory into the X address space,
    but this sacrifices the real memory that used to be there, which can
    waste quite a bit, especially on 40MB. So the amount of real memory
    needed also depends on how much video memory you have. You can see this
    by the size of your X binary.

    By the looks of it, even xdm failed to fork. You could try to start X
    by itself with startx..

    =Ben

  8. Re: Minix 3.1.2 beta 2 available

    Ben Gras wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > > The installation procedure is quite slick, I was impressed with that.

    > Good!
    >
    > > However, I was wondering how the X11 port had been accomplished without
    > > hardware MM support. Sure enough, my trusty old pentium notebook which
    > > has 40 MB RAM installed says ...
    > >
    > > xdm error (pid xxxx): daemon fork failed, Not enough core
    > >
    > > ... and that about explains it.
    > > How much memory is required to get the Xserver and a window manager up I
    > > wonder?

    > Basic paging is enabled to map video memory into the X address space,
    > but this sacrifices the real memory that used to be there, which can
    > waste quite a bit, especially on 40MB. So the amount of real memory
    > needed also depends on how much video memory you have. You can see this
    > by the size of your X binary.
    >
    > By the looks of it, even xdm failed to fork. You could try to start X
    > by itself with startx..
    >
    > =Ben

    Hello,

    Installed Minix on an old PC.
    I've got the same error like Ben. startx doesn't work either...
    I used to run Linux on it using Xserver. It worked then so I don't
    think it's the hardware...

    Wouter

  9. Re: Minix 3.1.2 beta 2 available

    Wouter Labeeuw wrote:
    > Ben Gras wrote:
    >
    >>All,
    >>

    >>>The installation procedure is quite slick, I was impressed with that.

    >>Good!
    >>

    >>>However, I was wondering how the X11 port had been accomplished without
    >>>hardware MM support. Sure enough, my trusty old pentium notebook which
    >>>has 40 MB RAM installed says ...
    >>>
    >>>xdm error (pid xxxx): daemon fork failed, Not enough core
    >>>
    >>>... and that about explains it.
    >>>How much memory is required to get the Xserver and a window manager up I
    >>>wonder?

    >>Basic paging is enabled to map video memory into the X address space,
    >>but this sacrifices the real memory that used to be there, which can
    >>waste quite a bit, especially on 40MB. So the amount of real memory
    >>needed also depends on how much video memory you have. You can see this
    >>by the size of your X binary.
    >>
    >>By the looks of it, even xdm failed to fork. You could try to start X
    >>by itself with startx..
    >>
    >> =Ben

    > Hello,
    >
    > Installed Minix on an old PC.
    > I've got the same error like Ben. startx doesn't work either...
    > I used to run Linux on it using Xserver. It worked then so I don't
    > think it's the hardware...
    >
    > Wouter

    No, it's not the hardware, it's the amount of memory that X wants when
    it starts up. Try running the server on it's own and see what you get ...

    X -configure

    .... or whatever might be a good start. You'll at least get some
    informative messages as the server tries to get going.
    Good luck with it,
    Steve

+ Reply to Thread