Java for MINIX 3 - Minix

This is a discussion on Java for MINIX 3 - Minix ; Hi all, Can MINIX team at least negotiate with Sun Microsystems for licensing the Java Runtime Environment (JRE™) and Java Development Kit (JDK™) for MINIX OS See the link below what FreeBSD team have done. http://www.freebsd.org/java/ Thanks, Faisal Akeel...

  1. Java for MINIX 3

    Hi all,
    Can MINIX team at least negotiate with Sun Microsystems for licensing
    the Java Runtime Environment (JRE™) and Java Development Kit (JDK™)
    for MINIX OS

    See the link below what FreeBSD team have done.

    http://www.freebsd.org/java/

    Thanks,
    Faisal Akeel

  2. Re: Java for MINIX 3

    faisal.akeel wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > Can MINIX team at least negotiate with Sun Microsystems for licensing
    > the Java Runtime Environment (JRE™) and Java Development Kit (JDK™)
    > for MINIX OS
    >
    > See the link below what FreeBSD team have done.
    >
    > http://www.freebsd.org/java/

    I don't want to burst your bubble but after years of negotiation
    between the
    FreeBSD Foundation and Sun, FreeBSD is still not allowed to provide
    binary
    distributions. The lisencing therms are too much restrictive.

    SuperWaba (http://www.superwaba.com.br/en/) may be a better option for
    Minix.

    --- Casantos

  3. Re: Java for MINIX 3

    I know about the Licensing problem between Sun and FreeBSD but I think
    they reach to common ground. See the link below:

    http://today.java.net/pub/n/SunFreeBSDLic

    nojunk@gate.cpmet.ufpel.tche.br wrote:
    > faisal.akeel wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > > Can MINIX team at least negotiate with Sun Microsystems for licensing
    > > the Java Runtime Environment (JRE™) and Java Development Kit (JDK™)
    > > for MINIX OS
    > >
    > > See the link below what FreeBSD team have done.
    > >
    > > http://www.freebsd.org/java/

    > I don't want to burst your bubble but after years of negotiation
    > between the
    > FreeBSD Foundation and Sun, FreeBSD is still not allowed to provide
    > binary
    > distributions. The lisencing therms are too much restrictive.
    >
    > SuperWaba (http://www.superwaba.com.br/en/) may be a better option for
    > Minix.
    >
    > --- Casantos

  4. Re: Java for MINIX 3

    nojunk@gate.cpmet.ufpel.tche.br wrote:
    > faisal.akeel wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > > Can MINIX team at least negotiate with Sun Microsystems for licensing
    > > the Java Runtime Environment (JRE™) and Java Development Kit (JDK™)
    > > for MINIX OS
    > >
    > > See the link below what FreeBSD team have done.
    > >
    > > http://www.freebsd.org/java/

    > I don't want to burst your bubble but after years of negotiation
    > between the
    > FreeBSD Foundation and Sun, FreeBSD is still not allowed to provide
    > binary
    > distributions. The lisencing therms are too much restrictive.

    See the link below:
    http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/downloads/java.shtml
    http://librenix.com/?inode=43

    Faisal Akeel

  5. Re: Java for MINIX 3

    faisal.akeel wrote:
    > nojunk@gate.cpmet.ufpel.tche.br wrote:
    > >
    > > I don't want to burst your bubble but after years of negotiation
    > > between the FreeBSD Foundation and Sun, FreeBSD is still not
    > > allowed to provide binary distributions. The lisencing therms
    > > are too much restrictive.

    > See the link below:
    > http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/downloads/java.shtml
    > http://librenix.com/?inode=43

    The first link tells me that "Java is currently unavailable". The
    second one tells that it "should be available for inclusion with
    a future release of FreeBSD." So Java is still not available *now*.

    And the port Makefile still contains

    RESTRICTED="Redistribution of pre-compiled binaries is not permitted"

    \qued{}

    --- Casantos

  6. Re: Java for MINIX 3

    nojunk@gate.cpmet.ufpel.tche.br wrote:
    > faisal.akeel wrote:
    > > nojunk@gate.cpmet.ufpel.tche.br wrote:
    > > >
    > > > I don't want to burst your bubble but after years of negotiation
    > > > between the FreeBSD Foundation and Sun, FreeBSD is still not
    > > > allowed to provide binary distributions. The lisencing therms
    > > > are too much restrictive.

    > > See the link below:
    > > http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/downloads/java.shtml
    > > http://librenix.com/?inode=43

    > The first link tells me that "Java is currently unavailable". The
    > second one tells that it "should be available for inclusion with
    > a future release of FreeBSD." So Java is still not available *now*.
    >
    > And the port Makefile still contains
    >
    > RESTRICTED="Redistribution of pre-compiled binaries is not permitted"

    They must pass Sun Technology Compatibility Kit (TCK) test and after
    that they have certified java SE implementation binaries which they can
    distribute.

    Read FAQ JAVA RESEARCH LICENSE for more information or better if you
    contact JRLFeedback@sun.com if you have any questions.

    http://java.net/jrl.csp
    http://www.jcp.org/en/resources/tdk
    http://www.jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/JDL.rtf