Elle and the arrow keys - Minix

This is a discussion on Elle and the arrow keys - Minix ; Hello, I'm a student in a course that uses MINIX2, and was excited to discover yesterday an alternative to elvis, called elle. I'll cut straight to the chase -- the default elle configuration uses arrows and I can't figure out ...

  1. Elle and the arrow keys

    Hello,

    I'm a student in a course that uses MINIX2, and was excited to discover
    yesterday an alternative to elvis, called elle. I'll cut straight to
    the chase -- the default elle configuration uses arrows and I can't
    figure out where that's enabled. I'd like to nab that part of the mined
    emulation and otherwise leave the emacs emulation alone. I've seen
    numerous comments in the past reguarding the situation, and emacs +
    arrow keys seems like a lost artifact of history, one that I'd like to
    recover . Given that the mined emulation system accomplishes the
    goal, surely it lies somewhere within that file in /usr/ast/.ellepro.e
    ..

    The closest I could find were a pair of lines (and friends)
    (keybind X-C "Forward Character")
    (keybind X-^C "Forward Character")

    but these don't seem to work for me on qemu =(

    Surely one or two people reading this might know the name I need to
    give keybind for an arrow key press.

    Justin Dugger
    Kansas State University

  2. Re: Elle and the arrow keys

    jldugger@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm a student in a course that uses MINIX2, and was excited to discover
    > yesterday an alternative to elvis, called elle. I'll cut straight to
    > the chase -- the default elle configuration uses arrows and I can't
    > figure out where that's enabled. I'd like to nab that part of the mined
    > emulation and otherwise leave the emacs emulation alone. I've seen
    > numerous comments in the past reguarding the situation, and emacs +
    > arrow keys seems like a lost artifact of history, one that I'd like to
    > recover . Given that the mined emulation system accomplishes the
    > goal, surely it lies somewhere within that file in /usr/ast/.ellepro.e
    > ..
    >
    > The closest I could find were a pair of lines (and friends)
    > (keybind X-C "Forward Character")
    > (keybind X-^C "Forward Character")
    >
    > but these don't seem to work for me on qemu =(
    >
    > Surely one or two people reading this might know the name I need to
    > give keybind for an arrow key press.
    >
    > Justin Dugger
    > Kansas State University

    elle uses EMACS-style keybindings, elvis uses vi style. Suggestion: vim

  3. Re: Elle and the arrow keys

    > elle uses EMACS-style keybindings, elvis uses vi style. Suggestion: vim

    I'm familiar with these distinctions. I've become most acquinted
    emacs, although at least modern versions also allow arrow cursor
    movement. It's clearly possible for elle to perform this way. Just
    last night I spent an hour digging through the source code to elle
    hoping to figure out the name for the arrow keys. Haven't had much
    success, although I did find the pseudo grammar to .ellepro.e files.

  4. Re: Elle and the arrow keys

    jldugger@gmail.com wrote:
    >>elle uses EMACS-style keybindings, elvis uses vi style. Suggestion: vim

    > I'm familiar with these distinctions. I've become most acquinted
    > emacs, although at least modern versions also allow arrow cursor
    > movement. It's clearly possible for elle to perform this way. Just
    > last night I spent an hour digging through the source code to elle
    > hoping to figure out the name for the arrow keys. Haven't had much
    > success, although I did find the pseudo grammar to .ellepro.e files.

    The 'elle' in the verion of Minix you are using is ages old, and back
    then, not even Emacs itself supported that. Try using Minix 3.

  5. Re: Elle and the arrow keys

    >The 'elle' in the verion of Minix you are using is ages old, and back
    >then, not even Emacs itself supported that. Try using Minix 3.

    If elle in Minix2 doesn't support arrow keys at all, then how does the
    /usr/ast/ profile do it? elle might be old, but it's still got a
    customizable config file for keybindings. The default one unbinds
    everything and then sets up new keys; in the process it appears to have
    set up arrow keys. I seem to recall in eras past that pressing the
    arrow keys on consoles that didn't expect it would produce strange
    characaters like ^A^A^B^B, but there must be something more to this
    than I realize.

    As for using Minix3, you'd have to convince my professor to switch
    mid-semester.

  6. Re: Elle and the arrow keys

    jldugger@gmail.com wrote:
    >>The 'elle' in the verion of Minix you are using is ages old, and back
    >>then, not even Emacs itself supported that. Try using Minix 3.

    > If elle in Minix2 doesn't support arrow keys at all, then how does the
    > /usr/ast/ profile do it? elle might be old, but it's still got a
    > customizable config file for keybindings. The default one unbinds
    > everything and then sets up new keys; in the process it appears to have
    > set up arrow keys. I seem to recall in eras past that pressing the
    > arrow keys on consoles that didn't expect it would produce strange
    > characaters like ^A^A^B^B, but there must be something more to this
    > than I realize.
    >
    > As for using Minix3, you'd have to convince my professor to switch
    > mid-semester.

    Actually, the escape sequence was [A (looked like ^[[A)

  7. Re: Elle and the arrow keys

    Segin wrote:
    > jldugger@gmail.com wrote:
    > >
    > > ... the default elle configuration uses arrows and I can't
    > > figure out where that's enabled.

    A long time ago I created or obtained from someone else a satisfactory
    ..ellepro.b1 that works the way I want it to work, which means it uses
    the arrow keys and it works via a vt100 emulation over the network (I
    do most of my work on Minix through a telnet connection to a Minix
    machine, rather than directly on the console, so I can use
    cut-and-paste in and between windows).

    Unfortunately I lost the source .ellepro.e, but the binary .ellepro.b1
    was copied from one Minix installation to another, from my first Minix
    1.5 system 15 years ago to the Minix 3.1.2 Beta I have been playing
    with for the last week.

    Here is my uuencoded emacs-like .ellepro.b1. Cut and paste this to a
    file named elleprob1.uue. Rename or back up your existing .ellepro.b1
    before unpacking this with uud, in case you decide the mined emulation
    is preferable for you.

    -------------------------------- cut here ----------------------
    table
    !"#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?
    @ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[\]^_

    -------------------------------- cut here ----------------------

    I wrote a short piece about the history of elle and mined, and why the
    default elle profile emulates mined and why I like both elle and mined but
    not elle emulating mined. It is on my website and also on the Minix3
    website, at http://www.minix3.org/doc/elle_rant.html.

    For whatever reason the start of this thread never appeared on my news
    server, or else it appeared transiently and then vanished (I've been
    very busy with the course I'm teaching and haven't had time to check
    the newsgroup every day).

    - Al

    --
    | Albert S. Woodhull |