checksum error while untaring the minix source code. - Minix

This is a discussion on checksum error while untaring the minix source code. - Minix ; hi all, iam new to minix. I wanted to look at the full code of minix and work on it. I went to http://www.minix3.org/source.html and downloaded the complete source code. Interestingly, it had 2 .tar extensions. Ignoring this fact, I ...

  1. checksum error while untaring the minix source code.

    hi all,
    iam new to minix.
    I wanted to look at the full code of minix and work on it.
    I went to http://www.minix3.org/source.html
    and downloaded the complete source code.

    Interestingly, it had 2 .tar extensions. Ignoring this fact, I copied
    this file over to my unix (aix rather) terminal.
    When I tried to untar the file, i get the following message:

    tar -xvf minix_source_3_1_1_complete.tar.tar
    tar: 0511-169 A directory checksum error on media; 0 not equal to
    71540.

    any help pls..
    thanks.

  2. Re: checksum error while untaring the minix source code.

    If you used Internet Explorer to download it, it converted the trailing
    extension to a .tar, so just run 'file' on it make sure it's gzip or bzip2.

    please use firefox or don't use internet explorer or something like that.

    pavan.kristipati@gmail.com wrote:
    > hi all,
    > iam new to minix.
    > I wanted to look at the full code of minix and work on it.
    > I went to http://www.minix3.org/source.html
    > and downloaded the complete source code.
    >
    > Interestingly, it had 2 .tar extensions. Ignoring this fact, I copied
    > this file over to my unix (aix rather) terminal.
    > When I tried to untar the file, i get the following message:
    >
    > tar -xvf minix_source_3_1_1_complete.tar.tar
    > tar: 0511-169 A directory checksum error on media; 0 not equal to
    > 71540.
    >
    > any help pls..
    > thanks.

+ Reply to Thread