Minix 2.0.0 over QEMU 0.80 (educative installers available for Windows & GNU/Linux) - Minix

This is a discussion on Minix 2.0.0 over QEMU 0.80 (educative installers available for Windows & GNU/Linux) - Minix ; Hello everybody, Even though version 2.0.0 seems to be left way behind nowdays, i suppose there might be students or curious guys around the world who would like to give it a shot and get a minix 2.0.0 taste. I ...

  1. Minix 2.0.0 over QEMU 0.80 (educative installers available for Windows & GNU/Linux)

    Hello everybody,

    Even though version 2.0.0 seems to be left way behind nowdays, i
    suppose there might be students or curious guys around the world who
    would like to give it a shot and get a minix 2.0.0 taste.

    I assembled a couple of childish installers (for Windows and GNU/Linux)
    for our Operating Systems Lab course at Ceid (
    http://www.ceid.upatras.gr/en/index.htm ). You will find them at the
    course's website: http://oslab.hpclab.ceid.upatras.gr

    Minix 2 is to our humble opinion a much more educative system than it's
    newest version, plus we 've got more than a couple of books in the
    library and easy access to such documentation is quite obligatory in
    such a course. The installers include the system emulator QEMU 0.80 and
    a virtual disk image with Minix 2.0.0 preinstalled. Windows edition of
    the installer also includes DiskExplorer, the software used for file
    transfers from Windows to Minix and vise versa. They also come with a
    HOWTO (in English), on how to operate this stuff. That's quite about
    all there is to the so entitled "Minix over QEMU". Still, many students
    and newcomers will hopefully find it usefull and easy to use. So i 'm
    just letting you know it's just there, waiting for you.

    I do realise Greek encoding (iso8859-7) might make the website look
    quite ugly, so apart from linking you to our OSLab website, you might
    specifically wanna check:
    1) The software itself:
    http://oslab.hpclab.ceid.upatras.gr/software.php
    You will need to download about 6MB and have 70MB to spare on your HD.
    2) The howtos for Windows:
    http://oslab.hpclab.ceid.upatras.gr/...ows_HOWTO.html
    or GNU/Linux:
    http://oslab.hpclab.ceid.upatras.gr/...nux_HOWTO.html
    (These HOWTOs are included in the "doc" directory, under the
    installation dir.

    I hope you will enjoy it and find it usefull.

    Thanks to all those wonderful people who share their software and hard
    work with as for free (either "as in beer" or "as in freedom" - the
    latter gets my full respect too).

    Konstantinos (Constantine) Menychtas
    MSc Student @ Ceid

  2. Re: Minix 2.0.0 over QEMU 0.80 (educative installers available for Windows & GNU/Linux)

    Thank you!

+ Reply to Thread