content of 3.1.1 iso - Minix

This is a discussion on content of 3.1.1 iso - Minix ; Hello I fried 3.1.1 on cdrom. In readme there is written that there are many invisible files on cd which are minix files. How is it made ? How can i access them ? Can i mount it under linux ...

  1. content of 3.1.1 iso

    Hello

    I fried 3.1.1 on cdrom. In readme there is written that there are many
    invisible files on cd which are minix files. How is it made ? How can i
    access them ? Can i mount it under linux to look for minix sources ? How ?

    Thanx
    Michal

  2. Re: content of 3.1.1 iso

    In article , vertigo wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > I fried 3.1.1 on cdrom. In readme there is written that there are many
    > invisible files on cd which are minix files. How is it made ? How can i
    > access them ? Can i mount it under linux to look for minix sources ? How ?
    >
    > Thanx
    > Michal

    Well, I haven't actually done this, but Linux does support minix
    filesystems, so I think you would enter something like:

    sudo mount -t minix /dev/XXX /mnt

    or maybe better (since you would not need to do the sudo):

    pmount -t minix /dev/XXX /mnt

    Obviously XXX is replaced by your acutal device and you could use a
    different mount point than /mnt. Something to try anyway.

    Regards,
    tony

  3. Re: content of 3.1.1 iso

    It is easy to extract the full set of minix sources from the CD using
    the 'rip3' utility for Linux, FreeBSD, and Windows. You can download
    this from
    http://www.minix3.org/beta_software/rip3.tar.bz2 (source code),
    http://laurasia.com.au/downloads/rip3.tgz (also the source code); or
    even http://laurasia.com.au/downloads/rip3.zip (source code along with
    a windows binary).

    See
    http://groups.google.com.au/group/co...3428a21754cd21
    for more details.

    Regards, Michael

  4. Re: content of 3.1.1 iso

    All,

    > I fried 3.1.1 on cdrom. In readme there is written that there are many
    > invisible files on cd which are minix files. How is it made ? How can i
    > access them ? Can i mount it under linux to look for minix sources ? How ?

    It's a regular, tiny iso image that just contains enough data to load the
    minix boot code and hold the README file and other visible files. The
    rest of the CD is minix filesystem images concatenated with the iso image.
    The minix filesystems are root and /usr, mounted when the cd is booted, and
    are readable by Michael's rip tool outside minix. The minix filesystems
    are located using a 'mbr' on the first sector of the cd. (Which isn't,
    or shouldn't be, used by BIOS to boot or anything like that, just for minix
    to find its filesystems.)

    I guess Linux won't mount the filesystems, as it probably won't read
    the mbr to find them, even if you have a linux that understands the new
    minix filesystem format. You can get at the sources by the website or
    using Michael's rip tool.

    =Ben

+ Reply to Thread