Need help. - Minix

This is a discussion on Need help. - Minix ; Hi there. I want to create light GUI may be used under Minix. (I alredy had experience of creation GUI libs.) Would somebody please to explain me Minix details. What do I want: 1.Create simple, fast, light (small code and ...

  1. Need help.

    Hi there.
    I want to create light GUI may be used under Minix.
    (I alredy had experience of creation GUI libs.)
    Would somebody please to explain me Minix details.

    What do I want:

    1.Create simple, fast, light (small code and small memory)
    alternative to X.
    2. It must work effective on same (local) machine with joint
    application,
    and on remote regarding application machine.
    3. Correlation of (amount of information per time (between GUI and
    application during video transfer))
    to (amount of information per time) must tend to 1. (~=1.2)
    for most of known codecs methods.
    4. Speed of sprites drowing/rotation face filling must be dependent
    mostly not of protocol.
    5. Lay out of visual information must be based on algorythmes natural
    for HTML XML

    There are such ways for UNIX-like OS to communicate with Graphic
    Display.
    1. Messages (May differ entire message and its sender, may be on remote
    machine)
    2. Common Memory (any sophysticated access, on local machine)
    3. Directly to frame buffer. (low level access on local machine,
    has most of troubles known from DOS)
    4. Pipes (does not differ source of information)
    5. Sockets (even more sophisticated on remore machine than on local)

    What help do I need:
    please explain me how does work
    several services serving as device drivers.
    I need this:

    Application start session, get its identifier from server,

    Each time send some information to GUI service in result get status or
    other identifier,
    in hierachical mode

    and after listen for replie of server. When some event connected
    (associated) with
    application heppens server send description of respective event.

    something like that:

    main()
    {
    int id;
    id=to_gui(INIT_ID,0,0,0);
    id2=to_gui(id,type,sizeof(&picture),picture);
    do
    {
    stat=from_gui(id2);
    if (stat==SOME_ONE)
    {
    some(one);
    }
    else if (stat==SOME_THING)
    {
    some(thing);
    }
    }
    while(!end)
    }

    So at least I need all those
    messages from server was adresses to respective clent
    and messages from clents was entire and signed properly,
    and would bebetter at local machine they was local at remote they was
    passed throug network.

    In my strange project of OS(-1)
    This all may be done with syscalls:

    nodebind();
    associate();
    open()
    read()
    write();
    close();

    but last four has "hidden values".

  2. Re: Need help.

    Well would somebody help me to write Client Server Interface
    for terminal server.

    Or at least explain how does Minix 3 tell deriver server what
    application works with it ?
    Look under Linux /dev/con respect to current console device?
    How something like that may be look like for Minix 2 device server ?

    Quas wrote:

> [...]
    > int id;
    > id=to_gui(INIT_ID,0,0,0);
    > id2=to_gui(id,type,sizeof(&picture),picture);
    > do
    > {
    > stat=from_gui(id2);
    > if (stat==SOME_ONE)
    > {
    > some(one);
    > }
    > else if (stat==SOME_THING)
    > {
    > some(thing);
    > }
    > }
    > while(!end)
    > }
    >
    > So at least I need all those
    > messages from server was adresses to respective clent
    > and messages from clents was entire and signed properly,
    > and would bebetter at local machine they was local at remote they was

  3. Re: Need help.

    Minix doesn't know anything about graphical display, just text ones.
    Therefore, you're pretty much on your own (you'll have to ask for
    read/write premission from the OS for your graphical app and use the VGA
    hardware directly).

    Quas wrote:
> [...]
    >>int id;
    >>id=to_gui(INIT_ID,0,0,0);
    >>id2=to_gui(id,type,sizeof(&picture),picture);
    >>do
    >>{
    >>stat=from_gui(id2);
    >>if (stat==SOME_ONE)
    >> {
    >> some(one);
    >> }
    >>else if (stat==SOME_THING)
    >> {
    >> some(thing);
    >> }
    >>}
    >>while(!end)
    >>}
    >>
    >>So at least I need all those
    >>messages from server was adresses to respective clent
    >>and messages from clents was entire and signed properly,
    >>and would bebetter at local machine they was local at remote they was

  4. Re: Need help.

    Segin wrote:

    > Minix doesn't know anything about graphical display, just text ones.
    > Therefore, you're pretty much on your own (you'll have to ask for
    > read/write premission from the OS for your graphical app and use the VGA
    > hardware directly).

    No don't get me wrong, I guess I know how
    to create a graphic terminal, with feature I want.

    But I do not know how to embed it in OS.
    It seams MNP5 or Ethernet provide better way to communicate for such
    hypotetic terminal
    as Minix, canonic BSD, or cannonic System V.
    Plan 9 alredy has its own terminal, I am not familar with Plan B.

    I need smbdy who'd figure out how terminal must communicate with
    applications.
    It would be stupid if application communicated with driver via sockets.

> [...]
    > >>int id;
    > >>id=to_gui(INIT_ID,0,0,0);
    > >>id2=to_gui(id,type,sizeof(&picture),picture);
    > >>do
    > >>{
    > >>stat=from_gui(id2);
    > >>if (stat==SOME_ONE)
    > >> {
    > >> some(one);
    > >> }
    > >>else if (stat==SOME_THING)
    > >> {
    > >> some(thing);
    > >> }
    > >>}
    > >>while(!end)
    > >>}
    > >>
    > >>So at least I need all those
    > >>messages from server was adresses to respective clent
    > >>and messages from clents was entire and signed properly,
    > >>and would bebetter at local machine they was local at remote they was

  5. Re: Need help.

    Erm, try looking at the current TTY driver, Minix uses a microkernel
    architechure so it;s all message-based.

    Quas wrote:
    > Segin wrote:
    >
    >>Minix doesn't know anything about graphical display, just text ones.
    >>Therefore, you're pretty much on your own (you'll have to ask for
    >>read/write premission from the OS for your graphical app and use the VGA
    >>hardware directly).

    > No don't get me wrong, I guess I know how
    > to create a graphic terminal, with feature I want.
    >
    > But I do not know how to embed it in OS.
    > It seams MNP5 or Ethernet provide better way to communicate for such
    > hypotetic terminal
    > as Minix, canonic BSD, or cannonic System V.
    > Plan 9 alredy has its own terminal, I am not familar with Plan B.
    >
    > I need smbdy who'd figure out how terminal must communicate with
    > applications.
    > It would be stupid if application communicated with driver via sockets.
    >

    >>Quas wrote:
    >>
    >>>Well would somebody help me to write Client Server Interface
    >>>for terminal server.
    >>>
    >>>Or at least explain how does Minix 3 tell deriver server what
    >>>application works with it ?
    >>>Look under Linux /dev/con respect to current console device?
    >>>How something like that may be look like for Minix 2 device server ?

  6. Re: Need help.

    Segin wrote:

    > Erm, try looking at the current TTY driver, Minix uses a microkernel
    > architechure so it;s all message-based.

    So, from the side of application

    a=open("/dev/tty??", O_RDWR);

    Is like a pipe.
    >From the side of demon same goes on msg????s.

    I see.
    But there is enoither problem this terminal demon would be usable under
    Minix only.
    I want top use it under differnet OS or OSes.

    Ok, I use to check out sources.

    By the way, I use obsolete version of Linux, which does not assembles
    with patch for Minix3 file system. And new kerenel do not want to run
    old ELF format.
    It is question about Linux but could I assemble all together?

    > Quas wrote:
    > > Segin wrote:
    > >
    > >>Minix doesn't know anything about graphical display, just text ones.
    > >>Therefore, you're pretty much on your own (you'll have to ask for
    > >>read/write premission from the OS for your graphical app and use the VGA
    > >>hardware directly).

    > > No don't get me wrong, I guess I know how
    > > to create a graphic terminal, with feature I want.
    > >
    > > But I do not know how to embed it in OS.
    > > It seams MNP5 or Ethernet provide better way to communicate for such
    > > hypotetic terminal
    > > as Minix, canonic BSD, or cannonic System V.
    > > Plan 9 alredy has its own terminal, I am not familar with Plan B.
    > >
    > > I need smbdy who'd figure out how terminal must communicate with
    > > applications.
    > > It would be stupid if application communicated with driver via sockets.

  7. Re: Need help.

    Quas wrote:
    > Segin wrote:
    >
    >>Erm, try looking at the current TTY driver, Minix uses a microkernel
    >>architechure so it;s all message-based.
    >>

    > So, from the side of application
    >
    > a=open("/dev/tty??", O_RDWR);

    That won't work. You'd have to replace the tty driver outright, it
    doesn't know graphics. Any calls to /dev/tty* go to the tty driver, not
    raw hardware.

    So you'd have to create a new terminal class.

    > Is like a pipe.
    >>From the side of demon same goes on msg????s.

    Minix uses a messaging-based syscall interface, I don't know much about
    it, but i know that the message must be prebuilt at the syscall time.

    > I see.
    > But there is enoither problem this terminal demon would be usable under
    > Minix only.
    > I want top use it under differnet OS or OSes.

    Well, you wanted a program that would talk to the hardware directly,
    right? That requires OS-specific coding no matter WHAT OS you're on.

    Unless you meant a program to talk to the hardware tty driver and use
    programs through a pty, but that's just redundant.

    > Ok, I use to check out sources.
    >
    > By the way, I use obsolete version of Linux, which does not assembles
    > with patch for Minix3 file system. And new kerenel do not want to run
    > old ELF format.
    > It is question about Linux but could I assemble all together?

    Minix 3 uses the *even older* a.out format.

    >>Quas wrote:

    >>>No don't get me wrong, I guess I know how
    >>>to create a graphic terminal, with feature I want.
    >>>
    >>>But I do not know how to embed it in OS.
    >>>It seams MNP5 or Ethernet provide better way to communicate for such
    >>>hypotetic terminal
    >>>as Minix, canonic BSD, or cannonic System V.
    >>>Plan 9 alredy has its own terminal, I am not familar with Plan B.
    >>>
    >>>I need smbdy who'd figure out how terminal must communicate with
    >>>applications.
    >>>It would be stupid if application communicated with driver via sockets.

+ Reply to Thread