Minix 3 performance - Minix

This is a discussion on Minix 3 performance - Minix ; Any ideas about the performance of the new Minix 3 mu-kernel architecture? It would be interesting to have some idea of the penalties involved when placing device drivers (maybe even interdependent ones) into user-space. What optimisations have been taken in ...

  1. Minix 3 performance

    Any ideas about the performance of the new Minix 3 mu-kernel
    architecture? It would be interesting to have some idea of the
    penalties involved when placing device drivers (maybe even
    interdependent ones) into user-space. What optimisations have been
    taken in the kernel / design to address these issues?

    Any poniters gladly accepted. I just checked the Minix 3 website and
    the at cs.vu.nl but didn't find any "official" papers yet apart from a
    masters thesis from last year. Any plans to spread the word further in
    the community?

    Cheers, Chris

  2. Re: Minix 3 performance

    monochromec@gmail.com wrote:
    > Any ideas about the performance of the new Minix 3 mu-kernel
    > architecture? It would be interesting to have some idea of the
    > penalties involved when placing device drivers (maybe even
    > interdependent ones) into user-space. What optimisations have been
    > taken in the kernel / design to address these issues?
    >
    > Any poniters gladly accepted. I just checked the Minix 3 website and
    > the at cs.vu.nl but didn't find any "official" papers yet apart from a
    > masters thesis from last year. Any plans to spread the word further in
    > the community?
    >
    > Cheers, Chris

    http://www.minix3.org/

  3. Re: Minix 3 performance

    Tried but failed. Nothing there apart from some pointers to theses. Has
    anybody else some pointers?

    Cheers, Chris

    Segin schrieb:

    > monochromec@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Any ideas about the performance of the new Minix 3 mu-kernel
    > > architecture? It would be interesting to have some idea of the
    > > penalties involved when placing device drivers (maybe even
    > > interdependent ones) into user-space. What optimisations have been
    > > taken in the kernel / design to address these issues?
    > >
    > > Any poniters gladly accepted. I just checked the Minix 3 website and
    > > the at cs.vu.nl but didn't find any "official" papers yet apart from a
    > > masters thesis from last year. Any plans to spread the word further in
    > > the community?
    > >
    > > Cheers, Chris
    > >

    > http://www.minix3.org/

  4. Re: Minix 3 performance

    A technical report "A Lightweight Method for Building Reliable Operating
    Systems Despite Unreliable Device Drivers" has been put on the MINIX 3
    website. See the documentation section. This report includes performance
    measurements that compare MINIX 2 and MINIX 3.

    Jorrit

+ Reply to Thread