Minix does not ln (link) but copies instead. - Minix

This is a discussion on Minix does not ln (link) but copies instead. - Minix ; After checking a Minix filesystem, from another OS (Linux) I found out that any ln (link) done in Minix is actually a copy (cp). Is this normal? Regards Marco A. Cruz Quevedo...

  1. Minix does not ln (link) but copies instead.

    After checking a Minix filesystem, from another OS (Linux) I found out
    that any ln (link) done in Minix is actually a copy (cp). Is this
    normal?

    Regards
    Marco A. Cruz Quevedo

  2. Re: Minix does not ln (link) but copies instead.

    macruzq@myway.com wrote:

    > After checking a Minix filesystem, from another OS (Linux) I found out
    > that any ln (link) done in Minix is actually a copy (cp). Is this
    > normal?

    Minix 3 has links, and ln creates them. Symbolic links, however, are
    still
    not implemented.

    What do you mean with "checking from another OS"?

    --- Casantos

  3. Re: Minix does not ln (link) but copies instead.

    macruzq@myway.com wrote:
    > After checking a Minix filesystem, from another OS (Linux) I found out
    > that any ln (link) done in Minix is actually a copy (cp). Is this
    > normal?

    Minix does not yet support symbolic links.

    What you see as copies are probably hard links.
    The commands:
    $ echo "Hello!" > file1
    $ ln file1 file2
    $ cp file1 file3
    will give you the following:
    $ ls -ali
    total 20
    1170449 drwxr-xr-x 2 lsodgf0 users 4096 Mar 5 11:00 ./
    97537 drwx--x--x 42 lsodgf0 users 4096 Mar 5 10:54 ../
    1170433 -rw-r--r-- 2 lsodgf0 users 7 Mar 5 10:59 file1
    1170433 -rw-r--r-- 2 lsodgf0 users 7 Mar 5 10:59 file2
    1170434 -rw-r--r-- 1 lsodgf0 users 7 Mar 5 11:00 file3

    It may appear that there are three files, but if you look at the third
    column (number of links) you'll see that file1 and file2 have 2 links.
    The first column shows that file1 and file2 point to the same i-node.

    This mean that the two entries in the directory point to the same disk
    area, i.e. the same file. file2 is a link to file1.

    file3 is a copy of file1 and it has a different i-node, i.e. points to a
    different disk area.

    Ciao
    Giovanni
    --
    A computer is like an air conditioner,
    it stops working when you open Windows.

  4. Re: Minix does not ln (link) but copies instead.

    Giovanni wrote:

    > Minix does not yet support symbolic links.

    Is this a joke, or is there really continuing Minix development?

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

  5. Re: Minix does not ln (link) but copies instead.

    In article <1aCOf.6785$j7.257780@news.indigo.ie>,
    Timothy Murphy wrote:
    >Giovanni wrote:
    >
    >> Minix does not yet support symbolic links.

    >Is this a joke, or is there really continuing Minix development?

    Well, the first release of Minix 3 did not have symbolic links.

    It very likely that the next release of Minix 3 will have symbolic links.

    Unfortunately, research gets in the way of releasing new 'boring' features
    in a timely fashion.

  6. Re: Minix does not ln (link) but copies instead.

    Timothy Murphy wrote:
    > Giovanni wrote:
    >
    > > Minix does not yet support symbolic links.

    > Is this a joke, or is there really continuing Minix development?

    Of course it's not a joke!

    The fact that Minix is not a full-featured OS is one of its major
    strenghts, considering its original purpose. Each one of the gaps
    is a potential research project or class assignment. That's why
    I started to study Minix even though I use FreeBSD professional
    and personal purposes.

    --- Casantos

  7. Re: Minix does not ln (link) but copies instead.

    Timothy Murphy burped up warm pablum in

    > Giovanni wrote:
    >
    >> Minix does not yet support symbolic links.

    > Is this a joke, or is there really continuing Minix development?

    Yes, version 3.1 is out. See comp.os.minix and http://www.minix3.org/ for
    details.

  8. Re: Minix does not ln (link) but copies instead.

    I meant that I booted my computer in Linux, then I mounted the minix
    partition and checked the directory (/bin in this case ) and saw the
    file attributes. But after reading furthermore, I could check that 'ln'
    in minix makes hard links, I checked with 'ls -i' and got the same
    inode numbers from the original file and the linked one.

    Thanks.

    -------------------
    Freedom is not a permission for chaos.

  9. Re: Minix does not ln (link) but copies instead.

    macruzq@myway.com wrote:
    > After checking a Minix filesystem, from another OS (Linux) I found out
    > that any ln (link) done in Minix is actually a copy (cp). Is this
    > normal?
    >
    > Regards
    > Marco A. Cruz Quevedo

    If you try to link across different filesystems, yes. Be sure to check
    your mountpoints.

+ Reply to Thread