interesting experience with dmp_kernel.c code in minix 3.1.0 - Minix

This is a discussion on interesting experience with dmp_kernel.c code in minix 3.1.0 - Minix ; Hello all, I have a very interesting experience with minix 3.1.0. 1. Added new but simple printf (printf "hey guys") in sched_dmp in dmp_kernel.c . Made sure that it is not inside any "if" condition. 2. make clean (in /usr/src/tools) ...

  1. interesting experience with dmp_kernel.c code in minix 3.1.0

    Hello all,
    I have a very interesting experience with minix 3.1.0.

    1. Added new but simple printf (printf "hey guys") in sched_dmp in
    dmp_kernel.c . Made sure that it is not inside any "if" condition.
    2. make clean (in /usr/src/tools)
    3. make in the same directory (/usr/src/servers/is))
    4. make hdboot (in /usr/src/tools)
    5. reboot

    Interestingly, printf is not working. What I mean is after I re-build
    the image, I dont see printf printing any message that I asked it to
    print. I tried installing minix3 once again and did the above once
    again, but in vain.

    I appreciate any ideas/hints. plz. reply.
    thanks,
    beo.

  2. Re: interesting experience with dmp_kernel.c code in minix 3.1.0

    I had the same experience, (with the computer that is kept in the
    basement). It worked on my laptop though.

  3. Re: interesting experience with dmp_kernel.c code in minix 3.1.0

    try 'make install'

    -Deepak Rathi

    sudhiras@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello all,
    > I have a very interesting experience with minix 3.1.0.
    >
    > 1. Added new but simple printf (printf "hey guys") in sched_dmp in
    > dmp_kernel.c . Made sure that it is not inside any "if" condition.
    > 2. make clean (in /usr/src/tools)
    > 3. make in the same directory (/usr/src/servers/is))
    > 4. make hdboot (in /usr/src/tools)
    > 5. reboot
    >
    > Interestingly, printf is not working. What I mean is after I re-build
    > the image, I dont see printf printing any message that I asked it to
    > print. I tried installing minix3 once again and did the above once
    > again, but in vain.
    >
    > I appreciate any ideas/hints. plz. reply.
    > thanks,
    > beo.

  4. Re: interesting experience with dmp_kernel.c code in minix 3.1.0

    All,

    > try 'make install'

    That is the right advice.

    More verbosely, the IS server isn't part of the image, and 'make hdboot'
    only builds and installs the image. All of the non-image components
    are also installed with 'make install'.

    =Ben

  5. Re: interesting experience with dmp_kernel.c code in minix 3.1.0

    thank u so much abhinav,deepak,ben

+ Reply to Thread