courses - Minix

This is a discussion on courses - Minix ; Reguardig question about Midnight commander. Somebody told here mc uses courses. Is fo why courses or ncourses are harder then Turbo vision for example? Why XFree+Xlib+some top libs over xlibs are harder then subsystems libraries in Windows(tm). And what portability ...

  1. courses

    Reguardig question about Midnight commander.
    Somebody told here mc uses courses.
    Is fo why courses or ncourses are harder then Turbo vision for example?

    Why XFree+Xlib+some top libs over xlibs are harder then subsystems
    libraries in Windows(tm).
    And what portability may be if Libs are set for ceratin X server.

    May be it would be better to use some different terminal.
    About few years ago somebody here told about Minix native GUI for EGA.

  2. Re: courses

    Quas wrote:

    > Reguardig question about Midnight commander.
    > Somebody told here mc uses courses.
    > Is fo why courses or ncourses are harder then Turbo vision for example?

    Because curses (not "courses") was intended to be able to display in a
    large range of video terminals whilst Turbo Vision was limited to run
    on MS-DOS with Hercules/CGA/EGA devices.

    > Why XFree+Xlib+some top libs over xlibs are harder then subsystems
    > libraries in Windows(tm).

    Because X is a networking protocol, not a graphics/GUI library. It
    allows you to run an application on one machine usind the display
    of another machine. That may be comonplace today but 20 years
    ago, when X was created, it was a revolutionary technology.

    It is not so hard to write applications for X. In fact it is quite
    simple
    after you learn the fundamental concepts and have the right tools.

    > And what portability may be if Libs are set for ceratin X server.

    Could not understand the question.

    > May be it would be better to use some different terminal.
    > About few years ago somebody here told about Minix native GUI
    > for EGA.

    It would not be so hard to write a mockup GUI for Minix if one had
    enough time and knowledge. The hardest part would be the low-level
    code to access the framebuffer and the primitives drawing (lines,
    ellipses, text and so on). Most of that would be implementation of
    well-known algorithims but the optimization for good performance
    is tricky. Adding support for hardware acceleration would cost some
    extra effort.

    --- Casantos

  3. Re: courses

    Quas wrote:
    > nojunk@gate.cpmet.ufpel.tche.br wrote:
    > >
    > > Quas wrote:

    [...]
    > > > Is fo why courses or ncourses are harder then Turbo vision for example?

    > > Because curses (not "courses") was intended to be able to display in a
    > > large range of video terminals [...]

    > But 90% of terminals are almost identical to ANSI or VT102,
    > and finally at destop terminals are mostly emulated
    > on Keyboard PC-Speaker and Hercules/CGA/EGA/VGA/SVGA.

    Indeed, "terminal" is a legacy concept with which we still have to deal
    because lots of applications still need it.

    > You say X is a networking protocol.
    > Between X-server and X-client, X-client are mostly several libraries,
    > we can not cut off application with precompiled or dynamicly linked
    > libraries from certain X-server.
    > (There is, such example when QT was set up for XFree.)

    As far as I know Qt depends on certain X extensions provided by the
    XFree86/Xorg server. Extensions are good things in theory because they
    allow one to enhance the X protocol without breaking compatibility. In
    practice, however, they kill the server/application independence. That
    is one of the main disadvantages of the X model.

    > If so what is a need for this 20 years ago revolutionary technology
    > (if under "revolution" you mean quality rise up), with universal
    > protocol from both sides preset under certain implementation?

    We still need it for the same reason why we still need terminals: to
    the applications we depend on. I don't plan to use Minix to run
    graphical
    applications, but I can't live without X on my FreeBSD desktop boxes.
    :-)

    > > It would not be so hard to write a mockup GUI for Minix if one had
    > > enough time and knowledge.

    [...]
    > So I have experience.
    >
    > I may do something like that.
    >
    > That was my questions about reasons to do that.

    That sounds great. I think Minix is the right kind of OS to use for
    such
    project because it is an academical tool. Have fun!

    --- Casantos

+ Reply to Thread